Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is a beloved droid character now a ****ing mass murderer? Artoo and Threepio never did anything like that.

star-wars-celebration.jpg

I saw TFA 4 or 5 times in the theater. Treated 8 or 9 people with tickets. Loved it.

Saw RO twice. Meh. Boring characters.

Saw TLJ once. Never again.

Don’t care what happens next.

One sobering thought is that even if TLJ fades pretty quickly and only ends up with around $600m domestic and $1.25B worldwide - close to a 50% drop over what TFA made worldwide - it will still take its place in the top 5 all-time highest grossing films domestically and close to the top 10 all-time highest grossing films internationally.

That won't change much even if it outright collapses at the box office in the coming week or so, and earns $550m domestically and in the $1.1B range internationally - TLJ will still be in the top 5-10 domestically and top 10-15 internationally... of all-time.

That... is the power of the Star Wars brandname.

I feel so ashamed of Mark Hamill for backpedaling. Alec Guinness never said 'sorry' for being a crank about Star Wars. Nor did Harrison Ford. Sometimes it pays to have balls.

Where's this guy when you need him?

db7.gif

I'm sure Disney is all over his ass. (damage control)

One sobering thought is that even if TLJ fades pretty quickly and only ends up with around $600m domestic and $1.25B worldwide - making only a bit more than 1/2 what TFA made worldwide - it will still take its place in the top 5 all-time highest grossing films domestically and close to the top 10 all-time highest grossing films internationally.

That won't change much even if it outright collapses at the box office in the coming week or so, and earns $550m domestically and in the $1.1B range internationally - TLJ will still be in the top 5-10 domestically and top 10-15 internationally... of all-time.

That is not how a business operates successfully. If you’re okay with that steep of a drop on this one, how about the next one? Where will you be 5 years from now? 10 years?

Are you okay with Star Wars movies eventually grossing 150M domestic? You’re eroding the brand.

Marvel has operated in a steady range for 10 years and counting.

Now that I think about it drinking that green **** might of killed Luke . The face he makes when he swallows it is a face of tasting something bitter and forcing it down . He said he wanted to die

I guess among the TLJ partisans, adorers, haters, apologists etc. there is also my kind: indifferent(ists).

One sobering thought is that even if TLJ fades pretty quickly and only ends up with around $600m domestic and $1.25B worldwide - making only a bit more than 1/2 what TFA made worldwide - it will still take its place in the top 5 all-time highest grossing films domestically and close to the top 10 all-time highest grossing films internationally.

That was the power of the Star Wars brand name ...

LFL have made a titanic shaped blunder with this release and it will be the box office for Solo and Episode IX that suffer as a result.

Trying to measure the 'success' of TLJ against the 'can it the break a billion' marker it's a bit nonsensical for this release for the following reasons:

(1) For a lot of people, TFA and RO suggested a return to form for the Star Wars franchise and it had regained the audience's "trust" that LFL and Kennedy were going to make good Star Wars movies;

(2) This is combined with the additional hype that TLJ is an "Episode" of the saga;

(3) TLJ was to showcase the much awaited return of Luke Skywalker;

(4) JJ set up a lot of interesting plot threads in TFA that had many speculating for two years about how they would be concluded;

(5) most people wanted to see the movie as soon as possible to avoid being spoiled in case any of the reveals (Rey's parents or Snokes background for instance) turned out to be TESB 'I am your father' sized twists; and

(6) Of course the critics hyped this up no end and pretended it actually was the second coming of TESB.

With this all combined it literally was the perfect recipe to break a billion regardless of the content or quality of the movie itself. If this was a good movie it would be carried up to 1.7 to 1.8 billion on repeat viewings but I really don't see this happening at all.

I have zero interest in Episode IX now (no dangling plot threads or cliff hangers that I want to see concluded) and I think that is true for a lot of people. The perceived mishandling of Luke, the force and the internal lore and logic of the Star Wars universe has also lost LFL and Kennedy the "trust" of a lot of the fanbase.

Perhaps worse for Bob Iger is that a lot of people who dislike TLJ keep blaming "Disney" when in reality TLJ was the product of LFL, Kathleen and Rian. I expect Kathleen and Rian are going to have a very uncomfortable meeting with Iger very shortly. Kathleen will likely get the "do not fail me again Kathleen" Darth Vader response from Iger but Rian will probably get force choked out of the door.

LFL have made a titanic shaped blunder with this release and it will be the box office for Solo and Episode IX that suffer as a result.

Trying to measure the 'success' of TLJ against the 'can it the break a billion' marker it's a bit nonsensical for this release for the following reasons:

(1) For a lot of people, TFA and RO suggested a return to form for the Star Wars franchise and it had regained the audience's "trust" that LFL and Kennedy were going to make good Star Wars movies;

(2) This is combined with the additional hype that TLJ is an "Episode" of the saga;

(4) JJ set up a lot of interesting plot threads in TFA that had many speculating for two years about how they would be concluded;

(5) most people wanted to see the movie as soon as possible to avoid being spoiled in case any of the reveals (Rey's parents or Snokes background for instance) turned out to be TESB 'I am your father' sized twists; and

(6) Of course the critics hyped this up no end and pretended it actually was the second coming of TESB.

With this all combined it literally was the perfect recipe to break a billion regardless of the content or quality of the movie itself. If this was a good movie it would be carried up to 1.7 to 1.8 billion on repeat viewings but I really don't see this happening at all.

I have zero interest in Episode IX now (no dangling plot threads or cliff hangers that I want to see concluded) and I think that is true for a lot of people. The perceived mishandling of Luke, the force and the internal lore and logic of the Star Wars universe has also lost LFL and Kennedy the "trust" of a lot of the fanbase.

Perhaps worse for Bob Iger is that a lot of people who dislike TLJ keep blaming "Disney" when in reality TLJ was the product of LFL, Kathleen and Rian. I expect Kathleen and Rian are going to have a very uncomfortable meeting with Iger very shortly. Kathleen will likely get the "do not fail me again Kathleen" Darth Vader response from Iger but Rian will probably get force choked out of the door.

I 100% agree - my point is that Kathleen Kennedy only has to point to the B.O. performance of TLJ in isolation - and the Rotten Tomatoes "Top Critics" score (which is not accurate as I proved days ago with the closer look at the negative Variety and CNN reviews falsely being counted as "Fresh") - in defense of the film to Disney/Bob Iger, and to suggest that the backlash was from a vocal but statistically insignificant group of "diehards." There will also be lots of discussion about middle-of-trilogy films being the lowest grossing and often the darkest (thereby being divisive) etc., etc.

I have a problem with the content of pretty much all of that, but it's the reality. The backlash was reported widely enough that the Disney/LFL conversation about it IS going to happen, I'm just saying this is the way it will go down.

Good post.

Exactly, I fall into a lot of these categories and many people did, hence the huge opening numbers, then the steep drop off after realizing how bad the movie was.

There is no point defending TLJ as a successful movie on its own. Of course it is. But you don't judge a Star Wars movie in a vacuum or compared to other "geeky" movies like DC and Marvel. It's Star Wars. If its predecessor in the trilogy made 2.1 billion, you can't just look at a potential 1.3-1.4 billion box office and consider that amazing. It's not, these numbers are probably what the most pessimistic expectations were before release. Combined with the backlash it's damaging to the brand as a whole even if it makes money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back