Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind top and bottom bars... just part of appreciating movies since not everyone uses the same aspect ratio.

But top, bottom, sides and dinky I do mind :lol

I actually like the wide screen bars and the top and bottom. For some reason it makes me think movie theater.

Unfortunately movies are shot in various film ratios, and I think the industry just picked 16:9 as the most common. But since broadcast TV has now adopted that aspect ratio, it's here to stay. More unfortunate is the fact that the more visual directors choose the wider-screen format of 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 to showcase their beautiful visions.

I personally have never been bothered by the black bars. Ever since grade school (around 1985) I sought out the widescreen format, and it wasn't til the early 90s that VHS finally released a few movies, including SW, in that "letterbox" format. To me, it always looked more of an artistic presentation of the movie. The image was framed as if it was being displayed in a museum. The movie looked even more widescreen, as the black bars emphasized the ratio that much more.

:lecture:exactly:

Listen to the man. You will never have one single format for movies, and that's a fact. So learn to live with black bars in your screen.
And Philips' TV has to do some type of cropping to avoid the black bars on movies that are not shot in the same aspect ratio as their TV.

I'm just going to wait until they announce television sets with retractable curtains on the sides that move according to aspect ratios like we get in the cinema. :lecture

Nice - but then you'd have the same guys who complain about black bars say "whut the hill are these dang CURTAINS doing there???"

I personally have never been bothered by the black bars. Ever since grade school (around 1985) I sought out the widescreen format, and it wasn't til the early 90s that VHS finally released a few movies, including SW, in that "letterbox" format. To me, it always looked more of an artistic presentation of the movie. The image was framed as if it was being displayed in a museum. The movie looked even more widescreen, as the black bars emphasized the ratio that much more.

Yep, me too. As soon as I realized the difference, that is. It must have been sometime in high school for me...

I proudly make fun of people who complain about the black bars. ;)

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was just going through some things and was looking at how nice the packaging is for the trilogy on VHS. It's one of the reasons I kept them. I took some quick pics of the 3 different versions:

OWkTB.png

NeoQK.png

7ctFl.png

XnF7R.png

6fQbF.png

Zzr6k.png

Unfortunately movies are shot in various film ratios, and I think the industry just picked 16:9 as the most common. But since broadcast TV has now adopted that aspect ratio, it's here to stay. More unfortunate is the fact that the more visual directors choose the wider-screen format of 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 to showcase their beautiful visions.

In the early 90's I made up a pair of cardboard bars, painted them black and then taped them to my TV to watch movies so they looked widescreen...
I was only getting 50% of the original image but it looked so much better in the dark....think Alien, SW, Bladerunner...magic! :lol

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was just going through some things and was looking at how nice the packaging is for the trilogy on VHS. It's one of the reasons I kept them. I took some quick pics of the 3 different versions:

Glad to see I wasn't the only sucker for these. :monkey2 :lol

I loved that first one. It was my pride and joy until they released that leather box 20th anniversary version we discussed earlier.

I don't know what it is, but every time I see Hayden Christianson, I want to :devil :lsvader :stake :censored :cut :fireworks his hot ass.

So does Pix. :naughty

I actually like the wide screen bars and the top and bottom. For some reason it makes me think movie theater.

If you had a nickel for every time you've typed that, you could probably float your own campaign to run for president. :lol

Not a patch on the 1978 Noriyoshi Ohrai work or the sublime Berkey stuff. The new slip case and its photoshopped paint effects looks wretched in comparison. George should have begged Struzan to come out of retirement.:lecture

4713172051_6abd669090_o.jpg

:lecture :exactly:

Are these covers final or just roughs????

What bugs me more is the disk of parodies. WHAT FOR!? I'd rather watch snails run a race than watch that BS. If I wanted that stuff I'd have it already! They left out the #1 parody anyway; Hardware Wars. I'd rather have the footage from Star Tours, the Holiday Special animated segment, From Star Wars to Jedi; The Making of a Saga special, the Donnie and Marie show Star Wars special even above this CRAP! :(

:lecture :exactly:

Are these covers final or just roughs????

What bugs me more is the disk of parodies. WHAT FOR!? I'd rather watch snails run a race than watch that BS. If I wanted that stuff I'd have it already! They left out the #1 parody anyway; Hardware Wars. I'd rather have the footage from Star Tours, the Holiday Special animated segment, From Star Wars to Jedi; The Making of a Saga special, the Donnie and Marie show Star Wars special even above this CRAP! :(

I feel the same way... if you're going to add parodies at least add good ones :lol The more I think about it the less excited I am about this set. Will be great to have the movies in HD, but I have a feeling even the transfers will somehow get half-assed :lol

Back