Prop Star Wars Model Kits

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work!
I have the same falcon kit about half assembled just waiting for some more attention. Gotta work up the ambition to put the lights in and get down to painting it.
I have the Slave1 as well and a few other FineMolds kits, the Snowspeeder, TIE, Xwing and Jedi Starfighter.

I've never airbrushed before but just picked up a 1/6 scale Sherman tank model kit and I'd like to try it. Can you recommend a good airbrush kit like the one you used to finish these models?

btw.. in case someone is asking how to do those chipping effects. its sooo easy with this stuff here:

AK--089-HEAVY-CHIPPING39.jpg

088_WORNEFFECTS.jpg

you simply paint the color beneath the main color (silver, gun metal..etc.. mostly) .. after it dried, you brush on this stuff from AK.. let it dry.. then you airbush the main color on top.
After that dried, you take some water and brush on the water... wait a little.. then scrap it of where you need to with the brush or similar material.

This stuff rocks really !!

Intersting stuff. Can you put a protective overcoat on top? And how fragile is the surfqce when driy? Thanks.

@MandoMan531 cool ! wanna show us some pics of those ? Or are they still unbuilt ?

@golobulus well I dont have a very good one. Im using this one and works just fine for me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Tip-MAST...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d1c8148c

any compressor should work. Im working mostly anyway under very low pressure

@jedi_don yes you can seal it with a finisher. After it completely dried (even without finisher) its pretty scratch save !!

@MandoMan531 cool ! wanna show us some pics of those ? Or are they still unbuilt ?

@golobulus well I dont have a very good one. Im using this one and works just fine for me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Tip-MAST...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d1c8148c

any compressor should work. Im working mostly anyway under very low pressure

@jedi_don yes you can seal it with a finisher. After it completely dried (even without finisher) its pretty scratch save !!

They're started, but unfinished. I don't currently have an airbrush compressor so I left the models in a state that would be easy to paint and then finish assembling. Both the 1/72 Falcon and the 1/48 TIE have photoetch details added, and the Falcon and Slave1 are getting lights.
I also don't have a dedicated workspace for modeling at the moment, so that makes it harder as well.

I got e the phototech as well.. hope they are worth the extra money. Whenever you have something to show.. post it please :)

I've never airbrushed before but just picked up a 1/6 scale Sherman tank model kit and I'd like to try it. Can you recommend a good airbrush kit like the one you used to finish these models?

Ive used a Pashe H for the last 23 years. Its a single action and It's like an extension of my arm, an eleventh finger so to speak.

I got a real nice dual action with a quiet compressor about 4 years ago that I hardly use. It makes my hand cramp up. I just need to play with it more.

There used to be a real good build diary for the Falcon online a few years back that. The last time I looked, the pictures were gone. I saved it As a word file if you'd like a copy.

Ive used a Pashe H for the last 23 years. Its a single action and It's like an extension of my arm, an eleventh finger so to speak.

I got a real nice dual action with a quiet compressor about 4 years ago that I hardly use. It makes my hand cramp up. I just need to play with it more.

There used to be a real good build diary for the Falcon online a few years back that. The last time I looked, the pictures were gone. I saved it As a word file if you'd like a copy.

That would be super kind!!!! Can u send it to [email protected] please??

Thanks!!!!!

Sorry to change the subject but can these applications be applied to polystone ? I keep looking at my darth maul with Mechnical legs and think the weathering on his legs is pants not to mention he's orange.

Would I need a primer ?

Sorry to change the subject but can these applications be applied to polystone ? I keep looking at my darth maul with Mechnical legs and think the weathering on his legs is pants not to mention he's orange.

Would I need a primer ?

Sure. Id primer then repaint. Acrylics would be the best and weather with oils.

When you say oils do you mean you can't apply the stuff below sorry I'm a complete novice

btw.. in case someone is asking how to do those chipping effects. its sooo easy with this stuff here:

AK--089-HEAVY-CHIPPING39.jpg

088_WORNEFFECTS.jpg

you simply paint the color beneath the main color (silver, gun metal..etc.. mostly) .. after it dried, you brush on this stuff from AK.. let it dry.. then you airbush the main color on top.
After that dried, you take some water and brush on the water... wait a little.. then scrap it of where you need to with the brush or similar material.

This stuff rocks really !!

oils ? I use acrylic colors.

simply brush or airbrush the body color. then apply this effect.. after dried.. brush or airbrush the top color.. after dry.. use water and brush to take off colors where you want them to be off to make the body color appear :)

good luck.. show pictures how it turns out.

You might wanna mask out the black tattoos with liquid masking fluid

Are you sure it's ERTL on the right? Looks like the pre-painted Easy-Snap Revell.

D'oh...! :slap
You are absolutely correct, sir.

Talk about an auto-pilot reaction. :lol
I'm 44 and I've built so damned many of the ERTL kits over the years from my childhood on up that every time I see a 'domestic' kit, my brain just automatically says "ERTL".

It's like that old episode of the 'Simpsons' where they go to Australia and Marge asks for a coffee:

Marge: "I'll have a coffee, please."
Bartender: "Here y'go. One beer."
Marge: "No. Cof...fee."
Bartender: "Be....er."
Marge: "'C...O...F...'"
Bartender: "B...E...E...'"

:lol

Whoa! I thought you were just talking about repainting the legs! Then, yeah I would probably freehand that. Masking that black--- that's some work! But doable.

Back