Star Wars Live Action and Clone Wars TV shows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's out of hope that they can do something good with it.

With Tarkin they just made him into a stereotype, they just made him into an _______ and his character has more than that to him.

Let's go through what's wrong with Savage

#1 his name, really, Savage Opress? That's retarded, like how they had the shark guy in the water episodes. Shows no creativity.
#2 there aren't supposed to be any Zabrak on Dathomir. Just another way they're taking stuff and destroying them
#3 He's basically just a yellow copy of Darth Maul
#4 his origin story is really lame

Most of the stories of the show seem like they're written without really thinking about it.

Not that I'm fighting with you, because there is no point in A) arguing over a kids show and B) bothering to convince a person why they should like a certain character. But I do think you are robbing Savage of what does make him unique just because he physically does look like the mustard version of Darth Maul (i got that).

1) The name is corny. Yes. Doesn't reflect the character though.
2) The zabraks on Dathomir, isn't this show canon? But regardless, also a strange reason to dislike a character imo.
3 & 4) Not true. Physically, he looks like Maul. But why wouldn't he? Put looks aside, and he's alot more sympathetic, victimized, and shows more personality than Maul ever did. As powerful as he is, he has vulnerabilities. I liked Opress' struggle to try to help his brother. Considering all this background was given to us in a 30 minute episode, they did pretty well. There are tons of cliche characters and cliche origin stories in Star Wars.

There's nothing unique about Savage or special. All he was was a cash in on Maul which is kind of useless now since they're bringing Maul back anyways.

I'd be way more interested in Maul's origin story than this guy.

And for canon--again, it's hard to accept this series as canon when it contradicts the movies anyways.

There's nothing unique about Savage or special. All he was was a cash in on Maul which is kind of useless now since they're bringing Maul back anyways.

And for canon--again, it's hard to accept this series as canon when it contradicts the movies anyways.

The movies contradict the movies. How does Obi Wan NOT recognize R2-D2 on sight in ANH? It was Anakin's droid, the one he made "loose wire" jokes about. Even if he never remembers owning a droid, seeing R2 should be a tip off that something big is afoot.

Leia remembers her mother being sad? From what, the 2 seconds she saw Padme as a newborn?

Savage has an obvious name? You must really dislike the loner guy named SOLO.

Point is, you can pick anything apart if you try hard enough. When you're harsh on every single detail, it doesn't come across as a very objective, balanced review; it seems like you're hating something just to hate it. From where I sit, there are things to like about this show, and things that aren't so hot. If you dislike it, there are plenty of books, comics, games you can immerse yourself in - you can disregard the CW completely and embrace the EU, if that's what floats your boat. It's all fiction at the end of the day.

I guess it's out of hope that they can do something good with it.

With Tarkin they just made him into a stereotype, they just made him into an _______ and his character has more than that to him.

Let's go through what's wrong with Savage

#1 his name, really, Savage Opress? That's retarded, like how they had the shark guy in the water episodes. Shows no creativity.
#2 there aren't supposed to be any Zabrak on Dathomir. Just another way they're taking stuff and destroying them
#3 He's basically just a yellow copy of Darth Maul
#4 his origin story is really lame

Most of the stories of the show seem like they're written without really thinking about it.

The name Savage rocks, love how it is pronounced too.
Good to be a copy of Maul because he was the only interesting bad guy in the prequels. Glad we get more of him but even better now that Savage is tall and a brute. Having the voice of Clancy Brown is genius. I loved seeing the actual training with Dooku too, something that the prequels should have shown with Vader and Emperor. The torturing to make him stronger and more hatred. Loved it.
The origin was great and I loved seeing him with his brother and how they killed him too. The ending with his brother Maul leaves a lot to be explored.

The best was when they had the epic lightsaber battle with Savage, Ventress, and Dooku and then Anakin and Kenobi joined in too. That episode is my favorite of all time.

Last edited:

Maul had a backstory in the EU. And I thought it was lamer than lame. :dunno

The movies contradict the movies. How does Obi Wan NOT recognize R2-D2 on sight in ANH? It was Anakin's droid, the one he made "loose wire" jokes about. Even if he never remembers owning a droid, seeing R2 should be a tip off that something big is afoot.

Leia remembers her mother being sad? From what, the 2 seconds she saw Padme as a newborn?

Point is, you can pick anything apart if you try hard enough. When you're harsh on every single detail, it doesn't come across as a very objective, balanced review; it seems like you're hating something just to hate it. From where I sit, there are things to like about this show, and things that aren't so hot. If you dislike it, there are plenty of books, comics, games you can immerse yourself in - you can disregard the CW completely and embrace the EU, if that's what floats your boat. It's all fiction at the end of the day.

Obi-Wan had experience with many many droids--in fact that was one thing they were addressing specifically in the prequels. That's why he had one droid in his Jedi Starfighter in ROTS and then it got destroyed and he had a completely new one later, they wanted to show that he wasn't attached to any particular droid.

As for Leia remembering her mother, that wasn't ever addressed of course. I would imagine that maybe she was remembering one of Padme's handmaidens, since they were her decoys. Perhaps Corde went to stay with Bail Organa when he took custody of Leia.

The OT has the advantage of not being crappy, when you add the terrible naming on top of all the other crap in the series, it just makes it all worse.

And I never said anything about being fair in my opinions.

Maybe they'll give Maul a "repulsorlift" like Maw from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II?

Maw1.jpg

Maw_kyle.jpg

:monkey5

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:
I don't like Dancing With the Stars, so I'm not going to watch the show hoping to see a cha-cha or waltz that's going to absolutely blow my mind yet not change my opinion. Just seems like common sense. :huh :lol

Obi-Wan had experience with many many droids--in fact that was one thing they were addressing specifically in the prequels. That's why he had one droid in his Jedi Starfighter in ROTS and then it got destroyed and he had a completely new one later, they wanted to show that he wasn't attached to any particular droid.

As for Leia remembering her mother, that wasn't ever addressed of course. I would imagine that maybe she was remembering one of Padme's handmaidens, since they were her decoys. Perhaps Corde went to stay with Bail Organa when he took custody of Leia.

The OT has the advantage of not being crappy, when you add the terrible naming on top of all the other crap in the series, it just makes it all worse.

And I never said anything about being fair in my opinions.

Didn't Corde die in AOTC when the ship exploded on the landing platform on Coruscant? And why would any of the handmaidens be on Alderaan? They were from Naboo. And again, Darth "Father" is just as silly as any other name in Star Wars, whether or not you speak Dutch.

I guess I meant Dorme--whichever handmaiden survived.
I don't think it's crazy to think that she would go to take care of Padme's daughter. But that's just pure speculation.

And yeah, it does matter if you don't speak Dutch.

"Savage Opress" is right in line with the Sith names: Darth Sidious, Maul, Tyrannus , Plagueis, Vader/father (which Lucas has stated he did deliberately). And I always assumed "Count Dooku" was taken from doku, the Japanese word for "poison" and the fact that Lee was the British Count Dracula. "Savage" (with the French pronunciation) falls in with the others pretty well.

The fact that Obi-Wan never even realized that that droid was r2d2 always irritated me. You would think one of the wisest, most powerful jedi, would have the memory to remember a machine that has saved their lives numerous times. In fact, as open-minded and culturally aware as he is (as far as knowing other languages, being on good terms with different species) you would think he would be a bit more favorable to a droid who CLEARLY is not just a machine.

Also always got me mad that Vader never recognized Threepio. He built the damn thing.

Vader never interacted with C-3PO so he never would have gotten a chance to recognize him.

And still, as for Obi-Wan recognizing R2-D2, many droids look the same, and it was like 20 years after he last saw him, I think it's reasonable that he wouldn't remember him.

Who says Obi-Wan didn't recognize him? He just said he never owned a droid before. "Hello there" could just be Obi-Wan's way of saying "Fancy meeting you here." Its the same greeting he gave to General Grievous when they had already encountered each other before.

Lucas just made it up as he went along, and these kinds of things are the result. That is absolutely the most likely & probable explanation. Occam's Razor, and all that.

Back