Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least Lucas had the good sense to undo Luke's cry as he fell into the Cloud City shaft.

Meanwhile...

944d9b1c3813a5cdcc213733eb18e5bbc03d0736.jpg

Did Lucasfilm do that artwork or some a$$hat fan? It's utterly disgraceful.

The Jabba scene wasn't so much a change as the realization of a scene Lucas had always wanted to include - he just had to wait till the FX had caught up. But yes, you could argue it was handled poorly.

The Jabba scene wasn't so much a change as the realization of a scene Lucas had always wanted to include - he just had to wait till the FX had caught up. But yes, you could argue it was handled poorly.

I'm sure that's what GL said but IMO it's a load of bull. The original scene that was cut had a person as Jabba, not a giant slug. The dialogue even had Han referring to him as a human being! Clearly this was a retcon and not something he'd considered for the original film. Regardless, I don't think one has to argue it was handled poorly because NO ONE would take the opposing view. :lol

But it doesn't ruin other storylines. It is in and of itself a contained cringe sequence. Horrid, yes.... but its pain does not spread beyond its few moments.

You?re probably right. As a musician it just stands out more to me I?d guess.

I'm sure that's what GL said but IMO it's a load of bull. The original scene that was cut had a person as Jabba, not a giant slug. The dialogue even had Han referring to him as a human being! Clearly this was a retcon and not something he'd considered for the original film. Regardless, I don't think one has to argue it was handled poorly because NO ONE would take the opposing view. :lol

The "human being" line was sarcasm. Lucas planned to overlay a puppet or something but it was all too hard at the time. By the time he got around to it CGI was available.

The "human being" line was sarcasm. Lucas planned to overlay a puppet or something but it was all too hard at the time. By the time he got around to it CGI was available.
No way....

Lucas lied, as he did about alot of his ?ideas?

That scene was not cut for any other reason than it was redundant and useless. No one will ever contradict King Lucas.

Its a crap scene, and they never ever at that stage in filmmaking could have removed that actor and replaced him with something else......

So why film it at all? Because he knew it would be a huge hit and someday the technology would be there for him to redo it?
Poppycock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way....

Lucas lied, as he did about alot of his ?ideas?

That scene was not cut for any other reason than it was redundant and useless. No one will ever contradict King Lucas.

Its a crap scene, and they never ever at that stage in filmmaking could have removed that actor and replaced him with something else......

So why film it at all? Because he knew it would be a huge hit and someday the technology would be there for him to redo it?
Poppycock.

The Marvel comic adaptation featured an alien Jabba. Seems like a long way to go to cover his tracks.

Sounds like something I want to do with Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Connelly lol

Pool scene "Fast Times," lake scene in "The Hot Spot." My roommate in college had both on laserdisc... but I never wanted to even touch that remote.:horror:rotfl

Pool scene "Fast Times," lake scene in "The Hot Spot." My roommate in college had both on laserdisc... but I never wanted to even touch that remote.:horror:rotfl

My flatmate had a VHS called Taboo that he used to repeatedly rewatch.. Maybe don't google that :horror

I remember reading an article back in the 70s that verified what Prime Clone said - Lucas always meant to replace the actor with a creature, this is the truth, and not "retconned".

The first attempt wasn't so great. But even though it's not perfect, I do enjoy the newest version of that scene, and having Jabba and Boba Fett in Star Wars adds something nice to the film, for me anyway. If you don't like it, I hope Disney releases Episode IV with a few options so that you can get rid of the "Special Edition" scenes. Personally, the only scene that bugs me is the Greedo shooting first - at this point mostly becuase it doesn't clarify anything and it makes the scene more confusing than anything else - it doesn't really fix anything as George intended.

I will have to dig out the original novel of Star Wars for the Jabba confrontation. I thought when they described Jabba getting upset with Han the book said he receeded into himself like a giant slug but it's been a long time.

ROTJ was my least favorite OT movie, by quite a bit.

TLJ could have been brilliant if they had shown Luke disenchanted with the Jedi (maybe stuff he had learned from all those texts)... it would have worked on so many levels, then I wouldn't have had any issues with it. That, combined with the pain of him losing Ben Solo would have made perfect sense for him to get where he's at, and it would have echoed his father's disenchantment with the Jedi Order.

My problem with TLJ wasn't Luke, it was poor writing - shock value for the sake of shock value, women's movement for the sake of women's movement. Stuff that didn't enhance Star Wars or further the stories or plots with any meaningful value. A good writer knows how to introduce these things within the flow of a story, so that it works, not so that it sticks out and makes you want to gag.

TLJ can still be salvaged for me, if they somehow work in something more into TROS - disillusionment or something more than just Ben turning - just that alone wouldn't have daunted him and made him all grumpy, it wasn't sufficiently explained and it felt like a poor story because of that.

If you think Luke was perfect in the original trilogy, you must have missed his constant complaining, his over-confidence, and wanting to bed his sister. Sounds like perfect incest-mess to me. Plus, in Jedi he came off more stale to me than anything else, leaving me longing for the complaintive Luke.

I am cautiously optimistic that the final story of the Skywalker Saga will correct some of these issues with the last movie - but I'm being realistic about it, since as a director, JJ goes for cheap Spielbergian emotional moments instead of nuts and bolts storytelling... plus he misssed that moment with Leia and Chewie after Han died in TFA - huge error from a storytelling and character development point of view.

Even if the movie sucks, it will still be fun to see daddy Palps again - he's such a blast, and the perfect Sith grandfatherly type. Wouldn't you just love him to tell you bedtime stories before he knocks you out for the night?

Very close to how I feel as well.

I remember reading an article back in the 70s that verified what Prime Clone said - Lucas always meant to replace the actor with a creature, this is the truth, and not "retconned".

The first attempt wasn't so great. But even though it's not perfect, I do enjoy the newest version of that scene, and having Jabba and Boba Fett in Star Wars adds something nice to the film, for me anyway. If you don't like it, I hope Disney releases Episode IV with a few options so that you can get rid of the "Special Edition" scenes. Personally, the only scene that bugs me is the Greedo shooting first - at this point mostly becuase it doesn't clarify anything and it makes the scene more confusing than anything else - it doesn't really fix anything as George intended.

Now I'll believe he wished he could have filmed that scene with a creature, but I don't believe it was cut because he used an actor OR that he filmed it with the expressed intent of modifying it many years later. At the time Star Wars wasn't a huge hit yet and he was spending enough money on the movie as it was, so filming another scene with no intention of putting it in the film seems unlikely at best.

I will have to dig out the original novel of Star Wars for the Jabba confrontation. I thought when they described Jabba getting upset with Han the book said he receeded into himself like a giant slug but it's been a long time.

Did the novel come out before or after the movie? My money is on after....

[...]If you think Luke was perfect in the original trilogy, you must have missed his constant complaining, his over-confidence, and wanting to bed his sister. Sounds like perfect incest-mess to me. Plus, in Jedi he came off more stale to me than anything else, leaving me longing for the complaintive Luke.
[...]

Luke was all of those things but the sister bit was just Lucas making it up as he went along (sound familiar?) -- he started with a love triangle and ended on siblings.

Has he ever commented on that stuff in ESB?

Back