Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a horrible excuse for graphic design. I had no idea what the hell that was supposed to be. I didn't see Luke at all til you mentioned him.

PS.......I hate Rey.

Anyone else hate Rey?

Lol most of the ST characters including rose (for whatever reason) replaced jar jar for the most hated character in Star Wars

Rey is more like Poochie than any other Simpsons character. Creating by a soulless marketing team completely out of touch with reality just desperate to tap into the youth market cash.

As far as I can tell, she landed with as big a thud as Poochie too. Do you honestly know anyone that has ever said "Oh my god I love Rey, she's my favorite SW character!" who wasn't being ironic?

Hopefully she'll also die on her way back to her home planet.

Rey is more like Poochie than any other Simpsons character. Creating by a soulless marketing team completely out of touch with reality just desperate to tap into the youth market cash.

As far as I can tell, she landed with as big a thud as Poochie too. Do you honestly know anyone that has ever said "Oh my god I love Rey, she's my favorite SW character!" who wasn't being ironic?

Hopefully she'll also die on her way back to her home planet.

People say this. Maybe no one you know....

I kinda feel the same way about people who like Qui Gon, Dooku or Jar Jar....

New generation has new heroes. I know lots of young kids that love Rey. I think its generational. I was a kid during OT, really do not like PT , and like ST.

Most of the folks that like PT in my limited experience, were kids at the time of release.

My teens, Like OT and ST but not PT. They love Marvel more than either.

The like Mando alot also....

I don't see how they can recanonize AOTC (at least the Fett portions) or CW now. They went out of their way to explain that the Mandalorian way of not removing helmets in front of others (even other mandos!) has been in effect since the CW. And they can't say "oh it's just this one specific tribe" because even the blue alien guy he picked up on the other side of the galaxy knew of the tradition.

So I just see the PT as first draft animatics for movies that were never really made. They can reference elements of those animatics in flashbacks or rebooted scenes but now there's no longer a scene by scene canon they have to adhere to. Mando officially undid all of that. Which is brilliant because now they can appease both sides. Throw in Super Battle Droids, McGregor Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, whatever, but we can just assume that those will all be alternate versions of the characters born out of "good" prequels we never saw.

As for this current episode it did seem like a missed opportunity to not give Baby Yoda at least a nickname (you'd think the widow, widow's daughter, or Cara Dune would have suggested as much) but just last week I questioned why they didn't clarify that he can at least take his helmet off when he's alone and then the very next episode did just that so I'm fine with waiting to see how Baby Yoda's name plays out. At least for this series we know that it's being done by a single writer who has the big picture in mind from the get go unlike the ST.
Oof.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard teenage girls say they love Rey. I would have prefered Ahsoka Tano, Leia, or Padme as a role model for them, only because Rey seems so angry. But having said that, if what I've heard about what they're duing with Episode IX turns out to be true, then her anger makes sense... but we'll see.

Rey is angry and shallow. There's no room for growth there at all. Cara Dune is WAY more believable as a bad-ass.

Rey is angry and shallow. There's no room for growth there at all. Cara Dune is WAY more believable as a bad-ass.

Well, with the exception of Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu NO Jedi has been a bad-ass in ANY of these films, and Mace was a bad-ass because SLJ played him just like most of his other roles. Luke was never viewed as such (although I'd argue he came closest with his TLJ ruse), so I don't see how Rey's not being a "believable bad-ass" can even qualify as valid criticism. If you want bad-ass in the Star Wars universe, best not look on the light side of the force....

Well, with the exception of Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu NO Jedi has been a bad-ass in ANY of these films, and Mace was a bad-ass because SLJ played him just like most of his other roles. Luke was never viewed as such (although I'd argue he came closest with his TLJ ruse), so I don't see how Rey's not being a "believable bad-ass" can even qualify as valid criticism. If you want bad-ass in the Star Wars universe, best not look on the light side of the force....

Maybe another way of putting it is screen presence tho. Which IMO Ridley doesn't have in the sense of exuding calm power. Leadership authority. Or something:dunno. IMO Driver has that all over (depending on the scene.) Which translates on screen re believe-ability. She may not have been the best-est choice for a difficult part.

IMO she was best in scenes like when she told Luke she needed to know her place in all this, or with Boyega or Driver. Then again, the way she's being directed is gonna have an effect too.

Ridley has about as much presence or more so than Hamill did. The issue is script and direction.

Well, with the exception of Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu NO Jedi has been a bad-ass in ANY of these films, and Mace was a bad-ass because SLJ played him just like most of his other roles. Luke was never viewed as such (although I'd argue he came closest with his TLJ ruse),

That time Jake Skywalker played make believe and then died miles away from his sister is no comparison to the time Luke casually strolled into Jabba's Palace...

Maybe another way of putting it is screen presence tho. Which IMO Ridley doesn't have in the sense of exuding calm power. Leadership authority. Or something:dunno. IMO Driver has that all over (depending on the scene.) Which translates on screen re believe-ability. She may not have been the best-est choice for a difficult part.

IMO she was best in scenes like when she told Luke she needed to know her place in all this, or with Boyega or Driver. Then again, the way she's being directed is gonna have an effect too.

True, but people seem to conveniently forget that the same lack of screen presence applied to Mark Hamill back in 1977 when he shared the screen with Ford, Fisher or Guiness (or any combination of those 3). And let's face it, they gave Driver a lot more to work with as far as background on his character than what they gave Ridley. "What's her back story? Oh, she was abandoned on a desert planet when she was about 4 years old by her TBD parents for some TBD reason and grew up as a scavenger. Work with it." :lol

True, but people seem to conveniently forget that the same lack of screen presence applied to Mark Hamill back in 1977 when he shared the screen with Ford, Fisher or Guiness (or any combination of those 3). And let's face it, they gave Driver a lot more to work with as far as background on his character than what they gave Ridley. "What's her back story? Oh, she was abandoned on a desert planet when she was about 4 years old by her TBD parents for some TBD reason and grew up as a scavenger. Work with it." :lol

Yea, I remember people laughing at Luke at first....

But by the end they were cheering.....

Or the dark-side either.

I've heard teenage girls say they love Rey. I would have prefered Ahsoka Tano, Leia, or Padme as a role model for them, only because Rey seems so angry. But having said that, if what I've heard about what they're duing with Episode IX turns out to be true, then her anger makes sense... but we'll see.

For all the hate the Animated series stuff gets Ahsoka is actually a far better character. Granted she has a lot of screen time to get good character development.

Ill never understand the dismissive nature of some of the folks about the so called ?cartoons?.

Animation can often tell a story much better than live action. Its totally free to explore any possibility without budget restraints.

Personally, I loved the CW and Rebels series. They had some great expansions to the SW lore. The animation was original, the dialogue was often better than anything in the movies, and the character development was superb due to the time allowed.

Ahsoka was a prime example of this.

The last episodes of CW , Yoda explains how to become a force ghost is more descriptive of what the force is than anything in the films.

Oh no BDW also has the same sadffleck look as Hamill :rotfl

72c78d0eb9cb3443e123207028eab90f.jpg

Now I'll believe he wished he could have filmed that scene with a creature, but I don't believe it was cut because he used an actor OR that he filmed it with the expressed intent of modifying it many years later. At the time Star Wars wasn't a huge hit yet and he was spending enough money on the movie as it was, so filming another scene with no intention of putting it in the film seems unlikely at best.

Did the novel come out before or after the movie? My money is on after....

Book came out in December 1976 I believe.

Did the novel come out before or after the movie? My money is on after....

There are many examples of Lucas lying/changing his story, but Jabba ain't one of them.

Ahsoka was a prime example of this.

My only problem with Ahsoka is there's never any mention of her in the films. Plus she dilutes Anakin's bond with Obi-Wan.

Back