Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved dinosaurs as a kid but JP didn't grab me -- I was very impressed and all, but the film itself ... it's not burned into my brain.

LOTR ... the fight in Moria, the Ringwraiths in pursuit...the Balrog ... THAT is memorable. And as much as I loved seeing the story brought to life with memorable and dramatic moments such as Helm's Deep ... Fellowship remains my favourite film from that trilogy.
I think I understand where JAWS is coming from with JP but credit is also owed to The Abyss and T2 for really bringing cgi into the forefront but yeah JP stole the show from both of those movies.

Seeing JP opening night was quite a mind blowing spectacle.

JP in 3D is quite an amazing experience unto itself.

But of course LOTR are their own masterpieces BUT not in the same sense as JP more so because those 3 books were so expertly adapted in a very uniquely created cinematic event.

The real lesson here is that PT struggled when they came out lol

There is a difference in updating some effects and making changes that effect the story and end up looking stupid.

Updating the Death Star dog fight never bothered me.. I like it.. they could have done more with that. But Han shooting first, dozens of Stormtroopers waiting around a corner for Han, Greedo shooting first, a magical young Anakin force ghost …. Bah!!!!

Then add on to classic characters like Yoda and Darth Vader being ruined in the PT and where the force comes from.. Basically retconning what we knew from the OT.

And sure I’ll give most here what they want to hear cause while I did not hate what they did to Luke the ST could have and should have treated all the OT characters with more respect.

So yes please stop ******* with the OT
Also, all the unnecessary CGI creature moments that stand out like a sore thumb in a practical effects world, plus they were all lame and out of tone with the movies.

They had a T-Rex lose another fight. I wonder how that will sit with Dino-fans. However, it was a T-Rex, not the T-Rex.
I assume that's the OG T-Rex being pursued by the helicopter later. Her prime directive states that she can only eat baddies so all those people she runs into at the outdoor theatre are safe.
Covid-Rex

Only attacks when a person is closer than 6 feet.

Last edited:
They had a T-Rex lose another fight. I wonder how that will sit with Dino-fans. However, it was a T-Rex, not the T-Rex.
I assume that's the OG T-Rex being pursued by the helicopter later. Her prime directive states that she can only eat baddies so all those people she runs into at the outdoor theatre are safe.
Honestly it pisses me off. Like I get you need to introduce a new dinosaur but must it akways kill a trex? Yes it’s the most popular dino but there are other big carnivores out there. It feels as cheap as thanos beating hulk easily to show “ he’s not messing around” so annoying .

I think I understand where JAWS is coming from with JP but credit is also owed to The Abyss and T2 for really bringing cgi into the forefront but yeah JP stole the show from both of those movies.

Seeing JP opening night was quite a mind blowing spectacle.

JP in 3D is quite an amazing experience unto itself.

But of course LOTR are their own masterpieces BUT not in the same sense as JP more so because those 3 books were so expertly adapted in a very uniquely created cinematic event.

The real lesson here is that PT struggled when they came out lol
Yep

Abyss and T2 introduced the FX to the movie going audience but JP took it to the next level just like SW did at the time it was made. It was just next level.

I love LOTR and feel they are better films then JP but I was not blown away like I was JP with first time viewing.

Like SW we had just never seen anything like that before.

2Tl8VYY.gif

Indeed. It was fortunate for us all that Terminator Genisys saved that franchise from the mediocrity of the first two movies and finally enabled me to become a fan. I was similarly relieved when Alien Resurrection and The Predator dragged those earlier movies in their respective franchises out of the mire.

Thank God for CGI.
Lol!!!!

Yea jp also blew me away. Then we had films like Harry Potter, the early 00s marvel films , so much I can’t name right now. The pt had lots of competition aswell. Harry Potter was freaking huge back in the day.. but again I look at the Star Wars ot as just… eh. Like I said I was caught on by the overall lore and everything surrounding the pt.

Star Wars was everywhere in the early 00s and the pt had a bad rep but it didn’t kill it like the st did. We had video games , cartoons, comics, cool toys. It expanded the universe than the ot did. So like I said the ot feels like it’s something you had to be there for. Sure it’s amazing cinema that did a lot for the genre but I just see them as good movies. Not perfect masterpieces. And before you say it no I don’t think the revenge of the sith is a masterpiece either I just say that
I would agree that the OT was something you had to be there for in the 70’s to fully grasp how crazy it was. I mean it literally was everywhere. Plus unlike the PT and ST, they were really quality films. Just next level in terms of imagination and a good story and characters to boot.

Kids have it all today. CGI took films to the anything is possible level. Marvel, DC, JP, HP, Transformers, etc…. No way SW can have the same impact on today’s kids

I would agree that the OT was something you had to be there for in the 70’s to fully grasp how crazy it was. I mean it literally was everywhere. Plus unlike the PT and ST, they were really quality films. Just next level in terms of imagination and a good story and characters to boot.

Kids have it all today. CGI took films to the anything is possible level. Marvel, DC, JP, HP, Transformers, etc…. No way SW can have the same impact on today’s kids
PS5 and Xbox Series X has more impact than SW nowadays lol

Eh???? Eh, you say????

Why are you here again??? ;)

First off let me say that if you read my statement I was referring to the fact that the films were magical and in 35 years no Star Wars film has been able to grab that magic. And I stand by that. I was not referring to all films.

the point you make is something I have been saying every time people bash on the ST toys. There is so much out there for the modern viewer. The PT really only had LOTR as competition as far as trilogy films go. Then you have the ST which is buried in competition.

Star Wars really had none. It was something that had never been seen before. It was truly a magical experience and when you add in the toys… Well our minds were consumed with thoughts of a galaxy far far away. Plus special effects never really got any better until the use of CGI came along… it really was the pinnacle of fantasy film making.

Then take the fact that the first two films are great movies and are true classics that deserve respect and not to be “Eh” at when discussing the importance of them.

But you seem to think I was talking about all films.. Which I was not.

However

The Only experience watching films that captured the same magic as the original SW films was Jurassic Park. That had the same wow factor that the original SW films had on me.

I love LOTR but JP was the film that took that leap with photo real monsters and LOTR just did not blow me away like the OT and JP did
Couldn't agree more.
:clap

JP had some jaw dropping moments (first Brachiosauruses, T-Rex escape) but I can't say that the movie as a whole had anywhere near the same magic of Star Wars for me. I'm in the camp that feels that LOTR was the closest thing that we ever got to reliving the magic of the OT.

JP had some jaw dropping moments (first Brachiosauruses, T-Rex escape) but I can't say that the movie as a whole had anywhere near the same magic of Star Wars for me. I'm in the camp that feels that LOTR was the closest thing we ever got to reliving the magic of the OT.
The actual story did not have anywhere near the cultural impact that SW had but it was definitely the next step in evolution for cinematic effects.

I think the OT needs to be looked at during its time period to see whether it was a game changer. As a kid, I never saw any of the OT in theaters and only in home video. The first OT I saw was ESB. I wasn't even aware of ANH. Seeing lightsabers, jedi powers, and X-wings were a sight to behold. The most memorable part and what I think is the game changer was seeing the good guys lose in the end and waiting for the continuation of the story to which I didn't even know when it will come out.

JP had some jaw dropping moments (first Brachiosauruses, T-Rex escape) but I can't say that the movie as a whole had anywhere near the same magic of Star Wars for me. I'm in the camp that feels that LOTR was the closest thing that we ever got to reliving the magic of the OT.

I agree that LOTR was the closest thing we have gotten to the OT. But JP made me feel like that kid sitting in the theaters in 1977

First time viewing, FOTR and TTT had nothing on JP

ROTK came close but JP first time viewing was more of a SW experience to me.

But today I am a much bigger LOTR fan then JP.

I loved JP so much on my first viewing that I thought maybe it had a chance at the title of my fav movie of all time. That’s how magical I thought it was. Of course that only lasted about 15 min and then I came to my senses #JAWSisthebest

I loved JP so much on my first viewing that I thought maybe it had a chance at the title of my fav movie of all time. That’s how magical I thought it was. Of course that only lasted about 15 min and then I came to my senses #JAWSisthebest
So in some other timeline your name would be Jurassic park instead of jaws?

Jurassic Park was similar to Batman '89 in how I recall the movie logo being everywhere. The hype was huge and it absolutely lived up to it. The awe and amazement of Dr Grant looking at the Brachiosaurus was mirrored by us watching the movie - to both the onscreen characters and us, Dinosaurs were alive again. It was a unique experience in that way, arguably not repeatable.

Jurassic Park was similar to Batman '89 in how I recall the movie logo being everywhere. The hype was huge and it absolutely lived up to it. The awe and amazement of Dr Grant looking at the Brachiosaurus was mirrored by us watching the movie - to both the onscreen characters and us, Dinosaurs were alive again. It was a unique experience in that way, arguably not repeatable.
Weird that both T-1000 and T-Rex started with a capital T lol

Last edited:
Back