Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep no matter the film there is always something each of finds lacking. Art is subjective and somethings are minor quibbles and some are deal breakers for us to enjoy. I love a lot of films and shows and some are very cheesy or very dated but I still love them. Some are considered masterpieces by the masses but to me I may not get as much enjoyment out of them. I love the discussions on here where they stay civil. I tend to agree with alot members opinions on here but not every time with the same person. We are all fans of something and not everyone likes everything equally. Ii am a big Punisher fan and even though all movies and shows have nailed something of the character nothing has been a bullseye for me.
It’s a discussion forum tho. It was civil. This is t the first time I said something out of line. He usually shrugs it off and laughs or bashes the pt. Then we have a big debate. Don’t know why he’s suddenly somber about it. We have whole pages bashing the franchise and the st vs pt. This is nothing new. He should be use to it . Or maybe he finally tired of the bashing? Idk

It’s a discussion forum tho. It was civil. This is t the first time I said something out of line. He usually shrugs it off and laughs or bashes the pt. Then we have a big debate. Don’t know why he’s suddenly somber about it. We have whole pages bashing the franchise and the st vs pt. This is nothing new. He should be use to it . Or maybe he finally tired of the bashing? Idk

The ST still sucks space cow tatties, it was brought to you by the same braintrust that created that awful hotel...that is all.

Yep!

And both Solos end their trilogies making out with the bad guy's daughter/granddaughter.

Plus Palpatine tells Ben "as I fell so falls the last Skywalker." If anyone doesn't want it to be about Rey then the title could easily refer to Ben (the last Skywalker) rising out of the pit at the end.
The ST still sucks space cow tatties, it was brought to you by the same braintrust that created that awful hotel...that is all.
I watched this on a plane with Turd and he still walked out lol

I always tell you I can??? I talk about how bad the pt movies are and how I like them but they aren’t perfect . Don’t get so sensitive all of the sudden . I told you before that the st had great cinematography and had great practical affects. Also I was hyped for the ST. It fell flat for me. I love Kylie sword to and said he was the best developed out of the three.

also who said I don’t respect your opinions? We have debated on here multiple times about the likes and dislikes. I never once said your opnion never mattered. I just challenged it but I always respected you stood your ground. Don’t know where you got that from
Okay fair enough and thanks for your clarifying response. :duff I appear to have misinterpreted the sentiments behind your posts.

I started watching TFA the other night. Was really tired but I was pleased to find that I was enjoying it more then I ever have.

Knowing where this story goes, whose pulling the strings and what will ultimately happen improves my enjoyment of TFA a lot.

I know people hate TROS but I am shocked with how much that film saved the ST for me. I was a bit worried I would start watching this one again and everyone's hate would actually start to have an effect on me. Luckily it has not.

Having said all that. I really feel the SW crawl in the beginning feels out of place in these films. TFA really should have focused on the OT cast with a bit of new cast then maybe in the 2nd film they could kill them off or whatever so to hand off the baton. That may have helped it feel more like it belonged in one big story.

Instead these films feel more like an epilog to the OT. They just don't feel like they really are part of the SW saga.

I started watching TFA the other night. Was really tired but I was pleased to find that I was enjoying it more then I ever have.

Knowing where this story goes, whose pulling the strings and what will ultimately happen improves my enjoyment of TFA a lot.

I know people hate TROS but I am shocked with how much that film saved the ST for me. I was a bit worried I would start watching this one again and everyone's hate would actually start to have an effect on me. Luckily it has not.

Having said all that. I really feel the SW crawl in the beginning feels out of place in these films. TFA really should have focused on the OT cast with a bit of new cast then maybe in the 2nd film they could kill them off or whatever so to hand off the baton. That may have helped it feel more like it belonged in one big story.

Instead these films feel more like an epilog to the OT. They just don't feel like they really are part of the SW saga.
I agree 100% on both counts.

Both that TFA does indeed still hold up five years later (a half decade already, wow) and that they really dropped the ball with the opening crawl.

Every previous opening crawl gave much better context as to where the new film fit in relation to the others but if you were a new viewer just binging the entire Skywalker Saga you'd finish ROTJ only to have TFA open with "Luke Skywalker has vanished" with no indication as to whether this is news occurring immediately after the Ewok Celebration or what. Even with all of George's continuity errors that he himself created you still have a nice bridge between the PT and OT with the immediate appearance of the Tantive IV and the droids that we were familiar with from ROTS and then a 20 year old Luke shortly after that to tell you that 20 years have passed. Plus you had the crawl itself announcing that there is civil unrest during the Empire's reign with the Rebels achieving their first victory and so on.

Therefore the ANH opening crawl works whether it's the first or the fourth film you're watching whereas TFA's crawl was confusing even for those of us who have lived and breathed SW our whole lives. Again if you weren't experiencing the release of these films in real time (and therefore knew when the ST was set due to the ages of the real life actors) then you'd have absolutely no idea how much time had passed since ROTJ until old Han finally appears *40 minutes* into the film.

The ST does indeed feel like an epilogue but I think that any ST was always doomed to feel that way due to how George wrapped up ROTJ. No matter what story they told it was always going to be a brand new threat not connected to the conflict of the previous six films or just a rehash of the previous threat. Dark Empire comics, Timothy Zahn novels, the current ST and even George's proposed ST all were destined to feel like afterthoughts no matter what. But since that was a foregone reality I'm still glad that we got what we got.

I agree 100% on both counts.

Both that TFA does indeed still hold up five years later (a half decade already, wow) and that they really dropped the ball with the opening crawl.

Every previous opening crawl gave much better context as to where the new film fit in relation to the others but if you were a new viewer just binging the entire Skywalker Saga you'd finish ROTJ only to have TFA open with "Luke Skywalker has vanished" with no indication as to whether he disappeared from the Ewok Celebration or however long after. Even with all of George's continuity errors that he himself created you still have a nice bridge between the PT and OT with the immediate appearance of the Tantive IV and the droids that we were familiar with from ROTS and then a 20 year old Luke shortly after that to tell you that 20 years have passed. Plus you had the crawl itself announcing that there is civil unrest during the Empire's reign with the Rebels achieving their first victory and so on.

Therefore the ANH opening crawl works whether it's the first or the fourth film you're watching whereas TFA's crawl was confusing even for those of us who have lived and breathed SW our whole lives.

The ST does indeed feel like an epilogue but I think that *any* ST was always doomed to feel that way due to how George wrapped up ROTJ. No matter what story they told it was always going to be a brand new threat not connected to the conflict of the previous six films or just a rehash of the previous threat. Dark Empire comics, Timothy Zahn novels, the current ST and even George's proposed ST all were destined to feel like afterthoughts no matter what. But since that was a foregone reality I'm still glad that we got what we got.
Great point about being destined to feel like epilogue (man I butchered the spelling the first time :lol ).

I almost wish they did not have the opening Crawl. Something more like R1 and Solo. Or have the crawl but start over with a new Episode / chapter. IDK it just feels off the way it is. Its poor explanation does not help I am sure.

TFA stand up much better for me now then it did on first viewing. I borderline hated it the first time. But so many of those issues were fixed by TROS.

Its still looks like it was made for TV. But I find it easier to just focus on the good stuff.

Still dreading my viewing of TLJ though :lol

Maybe I will just skip all the Finn/Rose and Poe/Holdo stuff.

Yeah I can still enjoy TFA on it's own but it's also fun to watch it with the retrospect of how TROS circled things back to any number of things even little things like Rey putting on the X-Wing helmet or the climbing that she'll later do in the DS wreckage or bigger things like the knowledge of how Han's sacrifice will ultimately play out or why she's so powerful and seemingly stalks Kylo on Starkiller Base with clenched teeth like she's fighting back her inner Dark Side. I don't even care if most of those things were retcons/last minute finalizations, all that matters is that I enjoy the recontextualization that TROS's revelations provide.

The ST does indeed feel like an epilogue but I think that any ST was always doomed to feel that way due to how George wrapped up ROTJ. No matter what story they told it was always going to be a brand new threat not connected to the conflict of the previous six films or just a rehash of the previous threat. Dark Empire comics, Timothy Zahn novels, the current ST and even George's proposed ST all were destined to feel like afterthoughts no matter what. But since that was a foregone reality I'm still glad that we got what we got.
Great point! With what Vader did at the end of ROTJ, combined with the Endor celebration, it would always be difficult to make sequels that didn't feel like merely an epilogue. But the 30 years that passed until production started on the ST made it pretty much impossible. We can't ignore that aspect; it's too big of a gap. Especially since they decided to make key events (Ben Solo turning, the rise of the FO, the corruption of the New Republic) all having already happened *off screen.* That was a critical mistake, IMO, because it led to backtracking and a lack of clarity which could've all been avoided.

So maybe what could've made it feel less like an epilogue would've been to start TFA with the galaxy in peace, allowing us to reconnect with our OT heroes in a triumphant and happy state. The perception would then be that everything after ROTJ was a relatively uneventful transition to democracy, thus not needing movies about it. All the while, a threat could've been mounting in the shadows and perhaps revealed for the first time near the end of the first act.

Driver's Ben Solo could've been introduced as a young Jedi Knight, and his turn to the dark side could've been kept a secret from both his family *and* the audience until the time was right for him to reveal what he truly was. Only then introduce the Snoke, or a resurrected Palpatine (sigh), influence out from the shadows. Watching a likable Ben destroy what Luke had built (temple, students, and all) would've had more impact than just having it happened years before and *off screen.*

But who knows. Maybe there was no way to bridge the gap in a truly satisfying way for everyone. Oh well.

I dig it. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'll gladly take a lightsaber duel that plays out more realistically
Same.
I'm not a huge Filoni fan, but he delivered my favorite lightsaber duel post OT (albeit in an animated show). The quickly resolved one between Kenobi and Maul in Rebels was terrific, IMO. Reminiscent of the types of sword duel resolutions done by Kurosawa. That's the way it should be: over-aggressive opponent = dead opponent in a hurry.
Loved that duel.

I took fencing for a while. The speed and lethality of the sword must be experienced to be believed. I remember being "killed" by my teacher nearly instantaneously many, many times and it was shocking, really. And even between experienced combatants, one mistake is all it takes.

Yeah I can still enjoy TFA on it's own but it's also fun to watch it with the retrospect of how TROS circled things back to any number of things even little things like Rey putting on the X-Wing helmet or the climbing that she'll later do in the DS wreckage or bigger things like the knowledge of how Han's sacrifice will ultimately play out or why she's so powerful and seemingly stalks Kylo on Starkiller Base with clenched teeth like she's fighting back her inner Dark Side. I don't even care if most of those things were retcons/last minute finalizations, all that matters is that I enjoy the recontextualization that TROS's revelations provide.
TFA Falcon escape in 3D :thud:

Kylo Rey TROS battle in 3D :thud:

RO 3rd act in 3D :thud:

….. but but… muh pt!!!
The ONLY SW screening I ever missed in my entire life…TPM 3D!

:slap

Pod Race must’ve been awesome in 3D

I’ll never forget going to the liberty science center planetarium in New Jersey in 96 just to catch a glimpse of the SE footage Star Destroyer ANH opening.

37B44024-E7A4-4E80-9F6A-A7B01FF1CE60.jpeg

Last edited:
I took fencing for a while. The speed and lethality of the sword must be experienced to be believed. I remember being "killed" by my teacher nearly instantaneously many, many times and it was shocking, really. And even between experienced combatants, one mistake is all it takes.
That's an admirably unique endeavor to challenge yourself with. Very cool! The difficulty and danger is already awe-inspiring as a spectator, so knowing that it gets so much more pronounced with hands-on experience is crazy to think about.

I can only imagine the levels of eyerolling and groaning that you've reacted with since then when watching dramatized/choreographed sword dueling on screen. The stylish flourishes and extended close-quarters sequences must go over really well. :lol

TROS might still be my least favourite major episode but I've come around to some of the aspects that bugged me at first:
  • It's okay that Rey was a Palpatine because she was part of a dyad with a Skywalker and ended up with him inside her (said that she did!) Plus the Skywalkers were presumably created by Palps anyway.
  • The Final Order doesn't bug me as much now that I know it was in development since the Imperial era. It wasn't so much a contingency as an endgame to remake the Empire in the image of the Sith (hrm, maybe they should've called it Star Wars: Endgame!)

Back