Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jye are saying that you have at last turned on the sequel trilogy ... one of us now?

Have Game of thrones and Andor recalibrated your taste in movies and streaming to the point that you accept the truth that the sequel trilogy murdered your beloved OT characters and shouldn't be given a pass just because the actors returned?

Elsewhere Khev senses a disturbance in the force whilst Jye considers his response.
As much as I like Han, Luke and Leia in the ST there is no doubt that Andor is operating not only leagues above the ST/BOBF/OW but even also RO!

Andor is fine wine!

Mando S1/S2 is fine beer!

The ST is your favorite soft drink!

BOBF is undrinkable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the initial viewership numbers for Andor are perfectly fine. I don't waste my time with the spin people put on data since I've analyzed numbers for years. To me, there's nothing surprising about the higher initial viewership for the debut of Kenobi (with the highly-marketed return of Ewan's Obi-Wan). And there's nothing surprising about the long-time popular character of Boba Fett getting more eyeballs in a debut episode of what was essentially an extension of Mando.

Andor got viewership in line with logical expectations. I wish more people were watching, but I'm guessing they dropped 3 episodes at once to pad the first Nielsen number because they knew it wasn't going to draw anywhere near the same audience for a single debut episode of Fett or two of Kenobi. But one big difference with Andor is that social media isn't bursting at the seams with memes of how hilariously bad or stupid the moments in the show are. There aren't dozens of YouTube videos being posted that are tearing down the plot logic and dialogue. Why? Because Andor is good, and even clickbaiters desperate for negative spin *know it.*

So, Andor is currently the most-watched show on Disney+ while simultaneously free of being mocked for any lack of quality. That's a win in my book. And then there are the actual numbers which will speak for themselves. For my fellow numbers nerds, below are the Nielsen viewership minutes for the shows. Keep in mind that Nielsen gathers weekly views for *all* episodes available at that time. My hope (and expectation) is that Andor will have a better trendline than the other shows. If not, then I'll join the doom-and-gloom depression about the prospects of more content like it.

BOBF (by week)
1.) Only first episode available: 389 million minutes
2.) Two episodes available: 563M
3.) Three episodes available: 467M
4.) Four episodes available: 580M
5.) Five episodes available: 744M
6.) Six episodes available: 776M
7.) All episodes available: 885M

OWK
1.) First two episodes available: 1.026 billion minutes
2.) Three episodes available: 958M
3.) Four episodes available: 682M
4.) Five episodes available: 733M
5.) All episodes available: 860M

Andor
1.) Three episodes available: 624 million minutes
2.) Four episodes available: ???

We'll find out in about a week from now how Andor's trendline is developing after 4 episodes. Fingers crossed because I want more SW like this.

I think the initial viewership numbers for Andor are perfectly fine. I don't waste my time with the spin people put on data since I've analyzed numbers for years. To me, there's nothing surprising about the higher initial viewership for the debut of Kenobi (with the highly-marketed return of Ewan's Obi-Wan). And there's nothing surprising about the long-time popular character of Boba Fett getting more eyeballs in a debut episode of what was essentially an extension of Mando.

Andor got viewership in line with logical expectations. I wish more people were watching, but I'm guessing they dropped 3 episodes at once to pad the first Nielsen number because they knew it wasn't going to draw anywhere near the same audience for a single debut episode of Fett or two of Kenobi. But one big difference with Andor is that social media isn't bursting at the seams with memes of how hilariously bad or stupid the moments in the show are. There aren't dozens of YouTube videos being posted that are tearing down the plot logic and dialogue. Why? Because Andor is good, and even clickbaiters desperate for negative spin *know it.*

So, Andor is currently the most-watched show on Disney+ while simultaneously free of being mocked for any lack of quality. That's a win in my book. And then there are the actual numbers which will speak for themselves. For my fellow numbers nerds, below are the Nielsen viewership minutes for the shows. Keep in mind that Nielsen gathers weekly views for *all* episodes available at that time. My hope (and expectation) is that Andor will have a better trendline than the other shows. If not, then I'll join the doom-and-gloom depression about the prospects of more content like it.

BOBF (by week)
1.) Only first episode available: 389 million minutes
2.) Two episodes available: 563M
3.) Three episodes available: 467M
4.) Four episodes available: 580M
5.) Five episodes available: 744M
6.) Six episodes available: 776M
7.) All episodes available: 885M

OWK
1.) First two episodes available: 1.026 billion minutes
2.) Three episodes available: 958M
3.) Four episodes available: 682M
4.) Five episodes available: 733M
5.) All episodes available: 860M

Andor
1.) Three episodes available: 624 million minutes
2.) Four episodes available: ???

We'll find out in about a week from now how Andor's trendline is developing after 4 episodes. Fingers crossed because I want more SW like this.
That’s correct.

The mere fact that mocking memes are non existent more than makes up for any lack of activity in online chatter.

BOBF can keep its award for the most social media activity within 24 hours that little kitchen rabbit droid worked hard for it lol

TM took “Like a Bantha” being yelled at him as a good thing…..It was not lol

I’ll take boring Andor episodes which I’ll admit the first suffered from over Fett in diapers any day of the week.

I can’t believe “Fett in diapers” is actually a 100% accurate description lol

That’s correct.

The mere fact that mocking memes are non existent more than makes up for any lack of activity in online chatter.

BOBF can keep its award for the most social media activity within 24 hours that little kitchen rabbit droid worked hard for it lol

TM took “Like a Bantha” being yelled at him as a good thing…..It was not lol

I’ll take boring Andor episodes which I’ll admit the first suffered from over Fett in diapers any day of the week.

I can’t believe “Fett in diapers” is actually a 100% accurate description lol
Yeah, I'm okay with not having to bury my face in my palm out of embarrassment when I'm watching content from my favorite franchise. :lol

Am I worried that Andor viewership will sink and send the wrong message? Yes. But I expect that the quality will sustain the viewership at levels that make it worth their investment. And I hope that the prestige it's bringing will combine with that to encourage more of the same in the future.

Yeah, ratings are just numbers, they don’t mean anything to anyone.

Sarcasm aside, the reason Andor isn’t doing well is hardly a surprise. A non-beloved character who we’ve already seen the best of when he died. The baggage from everything else Disney has been bad at with Star Wars, (if there is a bright spot in the Disney Star Wars universe, most of their products float along the outer rim), and a slow burn intrigue show from a name known best for pew pew boom boom (and that’s not a knock, just reality). Without hyperbole, it’s safe to assume a good 50% of the audience who would have loved this show 10 years ago have just lost all interest in the brand. And their replacements simply aren’t dedicated enough to wait for something to happen.

People are making the same arguments for Andor that they made for Stargate Universe compared to SG-1 and Atlantis. You can call the “fans” immature babies all you want and be smug about your intellectual superiority in your choice of television, but that isn’t going to boost ratings.
You do realize that if they bring baby Yoda to the show the ratings will go through the roof... :sneaky:

FcvMu9yXwAIT_y5

FcvMwFPWIAALtj0
A bit after the fact, there were some "new" character posters...
FezXciPVsAQ1IQ5

0208E14E-9101-4483-BA74-A44E6C8FFDC0.jpeg

FfSRfyEUAAw4mZa1.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting:
https://mashable.com/article/andor-star-wars-lucas
It's true Andor seems indicative of what Lucas might have hoped for.
"The people are there, the environment is there, the Empire is there, and now [other directors] will start building on it,"...."It's a competition…friends of mine will want to do a much better film, like 'I'll show George that I can do a film twice that good.' And I think they can." ... The close friends Lucas had in mind included icons of gritty 1970s cinema: Francis Ford Coppola, Brian De Palma, Martin Scorcese, and other rebels against the old Hollywood order...
Andor to me seems closest to something DePalma {"known for his work in the suspense, crime and psychological thriller genres") might have pursued.

Last edited:
I've been putting some thought lately into whether I should just give up on Star Wars and move on. Difficult thing to do as I've been a fan for 40 years or so.
Been considering Disneys efforts;
ST - to me personally a disaster. Let's never speak of it again.
Rogue One - not sure about this one, a mixed bag.
Solo - not good or bad. I don't feel a single emotion watching it.
The Mandalorian - used to be the best Star Wars produced under Disney
BoBF - wretched show. This was the one that made me question whether I'm still a Star Wars fan.
Kenobi - kicked me whilst I was down. Another dud.
Andor - ode to joy plays. Surpasses Mandalorian as the best Star Wars under Disney.

So I considered, where is my Star Wars love then?

The OT and some of the pre-PT EU; The Thrawn trilogy, the X-Wing books, the Tales From series, Shadows of the Empire etc etc. A few of the old Dark Horse coming like "Boba Fett Twin Engines of Destruction" for example.

I think, depending on how Andor finishes up, I'd add Andor to that list.

Not sure where that leaves Star Wars under Disney going forward, but Andor gives me some hope. Hopefully they'll let Gilroy make more Star Wars projects.

Let's be happy with Andor and allow Gilroy's focus to continue to make it good. I don't want to spread him too thin.

That said, I do think there is still room for a more action-oriented swashbuckling Star Wars in the OT vein -- Disney just needs to find that person who can pull it off without resorting to cheap tricks and infantile humor.

Back