Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It gains my respect for being so intelligently crafted. That alone is so refreshing in the Star Wars universe.
Amazing the different styles and tone that can be accomplished.

Mandalorian S1/S2 is by no means trash now just because of Andor’s new tone, pace and style that is being embraced.

There certainly were plenty of powerful, exhilarating, thrilling and emotional moments in Mando (Kuiil’s death for example or Herzog’s imperial officer).

I find that the response for Andor has been rather mute when compared to Mando out of the gate but not in a bad way I think the silence is just fans being in shock and speechless that this level of tone and writing can be possible in SW.

Mando was loud, huge and successful because it was the first SW TV series (to be treated seriously), it was attached to Boba Fett and the Mandalorians, the Good the Bad and the Ugly and of course Grogu (baby Yoda initially) who took the world by storm.

Mando is SW swashbuckling at its best since 1980 a tone that SW fans comprehend and immediately embraced because of its high quality.

Andor is a slow burn that will have to work much harder than Mando ever did for its world building richness to come alive and so far it’s met that challenge head on and honestly has already left RO in the dust.

If Andor keeps the high quality of its writing and tone going but then adds some high quality swashbuckling to the mix it will also be quite a memorable moment in SW just like Mando and Grogu are.

When all is said and done I’m curious what impact Andor will have on RO.

Last edited:
Its very well made and mature. Puts pretty much everything else Disney has put out for Star Wars to shame in that sense.
However, I don't love it. Don't know why. I should do. Maybe I'm just so over Star Wars at this point I can't connect with it like I used to.
I'll continue watching Andor. It's enjoyable enough, even if I do seem to have lost my passion for Star Wars.

Its very well made and mature. Puts pretty much everything else Disney has put out for Star Wars to shame in that sense.
However, I don't love it. Don't know why. I should do. Maybe I'm just so over Star Wars at this point I can't connect with it like I used to.
I'll continue watching Andor. It's enjoyable enough, even if I do seem to have lost my passion for Star Wars.
Well then folks like you can’t be helped lol

I mean, we all grow up right? This Star Wars entry definitely caters to a more mature audience though. I think Disney knows they need to capture that audience to gain even more sales for their subscription service.
Otherwise, its all HBO Max.

Understandable. We were burnt so badly by Disney, it's hard to trust them again.

Even if you were someone who isn't burned out, Andor has by no means been a slam dunk to entertain people who love SW. Just because something is incredibly well made doesn't make it entertaining, or even enjoyable. I can point you to a perfectly-crafted, masterpiece symphony, but if orchestral and classical is not a type of music that you enjoy, then the craftsmanship is irrelevant.

So, just because well-made content uses the world of SW as its storytelling backdrop doesn't mean that it'll succeed at appealing to existing fans. Most of us loved SW for the first time because it was incredibly fun to watch all of that imagination get put on screen in a uniquely engaging way with likable characters and ground-breaking visuals. It was a fun ride that made people go back to the theater (in some cases *dozens* of times) to experience it again. Andor hasn't been that type of experience (yet).

Andor has been the best-written SW I've ever seen in terms of providing character motivation, plot logic, and an immersive sense of realism. But it hasn't even come close to being the most fun SW I've ever seen. And for a franchise largely built on escapist fun, I think it'd be silly to pretend that some of that element isn't rightfully desired by the audience.

I trust that Andor will ramp up the thrills (maybe as soon as this week), but is concentrating first on building foundations and context in a more thorough way than we've ever seen SW do before to make those thrills have the most impactful payoff. It just needs to do enough in these early episodes to keep you intrigued, if not fully entertained. It seems to be doing that plenty well. So, if the payoff ends up being captivating, this show will prove to be a masterful new life for an arguably stagnant franchise, and it will have set a high new bar. Many long-time fans will then be looking at it with greater appreciation, and rewatches will be a cool new experience.

But if the payoff underwhelms, it might be a show only rewatched and enjoyed by people who prefer foreplay to actual sex. :lol

Even if you were someone who isn't burned out, Andor has by no means been a slam dunk to entertain people who love SW. Just because something is incredibly well made doesn't make it entertaining, or even enjoyable. I can point you to a perfectly-crafted, masterpiece symphony, but if orchestral and classical is not a type of music that you enjoy, then the craftsmanship is irrelevant.

So, just because well-made content uses the world of SW as its storytelling backdrop doesn't mean that it'll succeed at appealing to existing fans. Most of us loved SW for the first time because it was incredibly fun to watch all of that imagination get put on screen in a uniquely engaging way with likable characters and ground-breaking visuals. It was a fun ride that made people go back to the theater (in some cases *dozens* of times) to experience it again. Andor hasn't been that type of experience (yet).

Andor has been the best-written SW I've ever seen in terms of providing character motivation, plot logic, and an immersive sense of realism. But it hasn't even come close to being the most fun SW I've ever seen. And for a franchise largely built on escapist fun, I think it'd be silly to pretend that some of that element isn't rightfully desired by the audience.

I trust that Andor will ramp up the thrills (maybe as soon as this week), but is concentrating first on building foundations and context in a more thorough way than we've ever seen SW do before to make those thrills have the most impactful payoff. It just needs to do enough in these early episodes to keep you intrigued, if not fully entertained. It seems to be doing that plenty well. So, if the payoff ends up being captivating, this show will prove to be a masterful new life for an arguably stagnant franchise, and it will have set a high new bar. Many long-time fans will then be looking at it with greater appreciation, and rewatches will be a cool new experience.

But if the payoff underwhelms, it might be a show only rewatched and enjoyed by people who prefer foreplay to actual sex. :lol
/\THIS 100%/\

I really loved that droid though lol

But yes all that high quality writing, dialogue, aesthetics, tone and pace will be for nothing if we don’t get to see a stormtrooper finally land a shot.

/\THIS 100%/\

I really loved that droid though lol

But yes all that high quality writing, dialogue, aesthetics, tone and pace will be for nothing if we don’t get to see a stormtrooper finally land a shot.
There were enough shots in the promos to make it a safe bet that we're gonna be getting plenty of "Starwarsy" goodness. No worries.

100% AJP. I'm not sure this is rating well. Hardly anyone is talking about it in the media (or on forums). Of my friends who watch SW content, everyone has enjoyed the quality, but the conversations don't continue beyond that point. There's a lot of respect (and relief), but not a lot of buzz.

I've been blown away by the craft as well, but that last ep was when I finally felt it needed to kick into gear.

Back