Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image_9cf05776-2d37-4d1d-831f-ef1398ca7d1a20220518_070351-jpg.577577

6gjqyr.gif

"Tony Gilroy, who had punched up the [Rogue One] movie’s script for reshoots. Gilroy—whose credits include writing the first four Bourne thrillers and writing and directing Michael Clayton—was developing a series that would explore Andor’s backstory, revealing what drew him into the galactic Rebellion and how he evolved from a self-serving nihilist into a selfless martyr. Luna’s call with Gilroy—the first time he heard the full plan for the Andor story—happened more than three years ago."

'On that day in mid-2019, when Luna was recruited for Andor, the actor remembers looking out the car window at the rooftops of the adjacent buildings, visualizing the tale about resistance-minded spies and near-death escapes. He was especially glad that Gilroy’s proposal included details that resonated personally. Luna describes Andor as a refugee story, with desperate people fleeing the Empire at the full force of its power. “It’s the journey of a migrant,” he says. “That feeling of having to move is behind this story, very profoundly and very strong. That shapes you as a person. It defines you in many ways, and what you are willing to do.”

Gilroy breathes deep and reveals a little more about Andor. “This guy gave his life for the galaxy, right? I mean, he consciously, soberly, without vanity or recognition, sacrificed himself. Who does that?” he asks. “That’s what this first season is about. It’s about him being really revolution-averse, and cynical, and lost, and kind of a mess.” The story begins with the destruction of Andor’s birth world, then follows him into adulthood, when he realizes he can’t run forever. “His adopted home will become the base of our whole first season, and we watch that place become radicalized,” Gilroy says. “Then we see another planet that’s completely taken apart in a colonial kind of way. The Empire is expanding rapidly. They’re wiping out anybody who’s in their way.” By journey’s end, Andor’s path will be to block theirs.

The show also focuses on the enigmatic Rebel leader Mon Mothma, played by Genevieve O’Reilly, who portrayed her as a young senator in Revenge of the Sith, then reprised the role in Rogue One. Mothma (then played by Caroline Blakiston) was the priestess-like figure in 1983’s Return of the Jedi who outlines weaknesses in the new Death Star, gravely intoning, “Many Bothans died to bring us this information.” In Andor, her story will run parallel to the title character, whom we know will eventually become one of her key agents. “It is a huge, orchestral, Dickensian ensemble cast,” says Gilroy."

New looks for Andor and Mothma
6gjqk0.gif

6gj9dp.jpg

"Mon Mothma: In Andor, Genevieve O’Reilly’s galactic senator secretly leads an uprising against the Empire.
Cassian Andor: Diego Luna stars as a man who believes in nothing but eventually risks everything to aid the Rebellion. Andor premieres late summer 2022."

Last edited:
“I’ve never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that,” said Gilroy.

And this is interesting based on his role with the tv show:

“It doesn’t appeal to me,” he said of making another Star Wars film. “But I don’t think Rogue really is a Star Wars movie in many ways. To me, it’s a Battle of Britain movie.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...er-tony-gilroy-opens-up-reshoots-1100060/amp/

“I’ve never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that,” said Gilroy.

And this is interesting based on his role with the tv show:

“It doesn’t appeal to me,” he said of making another Star Wars film. “But I don’t think Rogue really is a Star Wars movie in many ways. To me, it’s a Battle of Britain movie.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...er-tony-gilroy-opens-up-reshoots-1100060/amp/
Well ... and speaking as a fan of the film ... having listened to the interview he comes across as arrogant and a little petty maybe. Not that surprising I guess but ... meh. I guess we'll never know what really happened on that film.

He probably is... but the man can write and edit. I think he's right -- Rogue One works because it isn't trying to be a Star Wars movie, at least not too often. It's a classic war movie set in the Star Wars universe.

Anyway, we'll see what he does with Andor. A great challenge has been set before him. If he succeeds again, perhaps others will follow his lead.

Wait when did Gilroy back out of this series?

I just read that the show runner is Black Mirror's Toby Haynes after Gilroy backed out.
He did not. Gilroy is still Showrunner.
Are you confusing Showrunner with Directors?

This was pretty old news. There was always going to be multiple episode directors, due to covid travel he couldn't stay on to direct his own episodes, but has always remained as writer and showrunner.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/black-mirrors-toby-haynes-rogue-one-disney-tony-gilroy-1234582109/
Haynes already was high on the list of directors who would helm future episodes and since he also already was in the UK, all parties thought this would make the most sense. Gilroy will stay very much involved with the series as exec producer and showrunner.

Another interesting director brought in for a few episodes was Susanna White who among other things, most telling directed the John le Carré's spy thriller which stared McGregor...

Which might reflect a bit of the tone^ they are going for with Andor.
(and if you want to go down the rumor rabbit hole may infer a possible Kenobi crossover ep. for her to direct)

Last edited:
Are you confusing Showrunner with Directors?

This was pretty old news. There was always going to be multiple directors, due to covid travel he couldn't stay on to direct his own episodes, but has always remained as showrunner.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/black-mirrors-toby-haynes-rogue-one-disney-tony-gilroy-1234582109/
Yeah, he begged off directing the first 3 episodes due to the Covid travel restrictions. He's from NYC so apparently didn't want to get stuck in the UK for an extended period.

It will be interesting to see how involved he stays for Season 2 and beyond. A lot of these guys typically get the ball rolling and then hand off the reins to one of the second bananas.

He bailed cause, unlike RO which he reported he was brought on to "save" the movie, this time he was TOLD what to do by the big D & KK. So he decided he doesn't want to blamed for yet another train wreck D+ and left for"reasons".. Now he can say it derailed after he left as he wasn't part of the shooting/filming..

:lol

Back