Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m curious what bitter and angry characters you are talking about? Other then the Captain Shaw, who really isn’t any different then a Jellico, or Tracey what characters did you find angry and bitter?
Well there was Shaw who was a complete, disrespectful a-hole, Seven who was clearly bitter and unhappy about her treatment on the ship, Riker who was still bitter about the death of his child and on the outs with Troi, Raffi who was angry and pissed off about her current assignment, and Beverly who has become much more hard-edged and is apparently angry with Picard and stopped talking to everyone for 20 years.

I mean hell, I don't even think the crew on DS9 were this disfunctional. 😄

Well there was Shaw who was a complete, disrespectful a-hole, Seven who was clearly bitter and unhappy about her treatment on the ship, Riker who was still bitter about the death of his child and on the outs with Troi, Raffi who was angry and pissed off about her current assignment, and Beverly who has become much more hard-edged and is apparently angry with Picard and stopped talking to everyone for 20 years.

Raffi is damaged but shows she is functional overcoming her baggage. Like a good Star Trek character should.

Riker is like everyone in the world had family drama going on, but when his friend asks for help he’s there with a smile, charm and some good “dad jokes”. It still the Riker we’ve always known, we just have a new bit of backstory that will pay off down the road.

Who hasn’t felt the way Seven has when you have a boss is a a-hole and makes you be identified by a name you prefer not to use? It would be more against character for her to be happy and accepting of the situation.

Beverly is the mystery that we haven’t seen yet. Clearly “something” happened we will see what.

What I see them doing is showing us characters with depth and actual issues us viewers can relate to in a good way.

If they only gave us perfect happy people with no drama we would have the first season of TNG again. They are nuanced characters with a reason for how they are but because they are the best of the best they overcome those feelings and do their job. With no crying unlike another show. They have layers and aren’t two dimensional characters.

At least that’s my opinion and how I see it. Just sharing a different perspective.

I’m glad you gave it a chance and it has enough for you to try a few more episodes.

I watched it last night.

- Opening title sequence and musical score was nicely done, paying homage to the golden era of Trek.

-In the opening sequence aboard Crusher’s ship we overhear Picard’s Captain’s Log playing from the “Best of Both Worlds” from the point he was touring the ship right before they leave the nebula. Not sure what the significance of this is or if it will be explained later.

- In Crusher’s debit it seemed to me that she was using a First Contact era phaser rifle but I don’t recall them having to be pumped like a shotgun. Good firefight nonetheless.

- Loved the homage to the Enterprise D in the second scene with Picard and Laris, he noted she, referring to the NCC-1701-D, as being his favourite. I’m hoping we still see the ship with a rebuilt star drive in the fleet museum.

- It was good to see Picard in a lasting relationship with Laris.

- Liked the camaraderie between Picard and Riker, at times it seemed very casual but this is 20+ years later so they’ve both changed and are no longer in a command structure. They’re good friends.

- When Picard and Riker are in space dock and Riker says “hey beautiful”, I was kind of hoping from the trailers that it was the Enterprise E, just as a nod while they made their way to the Titan, but this is where the Titan is revealed, it wasn’t a surprise.

- The ship sequence leaving space dock is very reminiscent of Star Trek III.

- Captain Shaw seemed unrealistically hostile against Picard and Riker, not sure where this is stemming from but I suspect it’s Borg related since he insists that Seven go by Commander Hansen and the jab he made over dinner saying her loyalties are to the ship and not to former Borg, referring to Picard. I’m thinking Shaw may have suffered a personal loss at the hands of the Borg in some way (Wolf 359).

- I didn’t have any attachment to Raffi whatsoever in seasons 1 or 2, her storyline so far is “OK”, I found myself just wanting to back to the Picard and Riker arc.

- Crusher cutting off the crew cold turkey and having zero contact for 20 years. That doesn’t seem to fit the character or TNG in general, they were all close so I’m hoping this is explained with sound reasoning.

- Liked the humour, e.g. Riker calling out LaForge’s daughter’s nickname “Crashed LaForge, because she crashed a shuttle.”

- Seven just seems to be fairly discontent as we found her in season 1, this probably changes as the story moves on. I didn’t think she offered a whole lot this episode.

-Looks like Crusher had another son, why would that be kept a secret?

I was left wanting more so looking forward to the next episode. So far, a positive experience.

Why do writers love doing this to heroes? Time passes and everything goes to hell. :ROFLMAO:

I'm at an age where I understand that life is hard and throws curveballs, but I'm also in a place where I'm more emotionally stable and more accepting of the decisions other people make, their faults and even their betrayals, within reason. That is to say I'm probably *less* dysfunctional the older I get. Surely it's the same for most adults? Maybe doesn't make for great drama or conflict in fiction, I guess.

My theory is he was born when she split in season 2 of TNG, making him around 30?

It would be a good way of explaining why she left for a year. In the show, they said she was at Starfleet Medical.

My theory is he was born when she split in season 2 of TNG, making him around 30?

It would be a good way of explaining why she left for a year. In the show, they said she was at Starfleet Medical.
Season 2 TNG was 2365ish. Picard season 3 is “sometime in the 25th century”. That would make him at least 36, most likely 40 something.

There’s some dialog dropped at the beginning that is closer to the new son’s age.

Either way I bet Picard is the baby daddy.

Well, Picard before they chucked him into whatever his body is now.

Who cares though, Lore, Moriarty and more are all back this season!!!

Think back to the conversation Picard had with Laris and look at the age of the son.
I’ll probably have to watch it again but during that conversation I think he mentioned trying to make things work with Beverly (romantically) but it didn’t pan out, it’s probably his son.

I am left with one confusing part. Riker is a Captain here and I thought he was an Admiral in Picard Season 1. Maybe there’s a story there to explore later, definitely need one concerning his family.
When he flew in with the copy and paste fleet, he was “acting Captain” of the Zheng He.

- Opening title sequence and musical score was nicely done, paying homage to the golden era of Trek.

-In the opening sequence aboard Crusher’s ship we overhear Picard’s Captain’s Log playing from the “Best of Both Worlds” from the point he was touring the ship right before they leave the nebula. Not sure what the significance of this is or if it will be explained later.

I was left wanting more so looking forward to the next episode. So far, a positive experience.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Certainly possible, though I think that code came into existence after Picard was assimilated so it wouldn’t be part of his logs, but maybe Riker’s.

After a second watch I clued in on the “you are a warrior” message that Raffi got while talking to her, yet to be revealed, intelligence handler… that has Worf written all over it. Probably explains the fight scene we saw in the trailers.

Last edited:
Just finished episode 2. I think this time, they've managed to get in the dark gritty stuff which they've been trying to shove down our throats since season 1 of Discovery, separate whatever good part they could from that, and fit it in with the more optimistic view Star Trek is known for.

Some thoughts:
Spoiler Spoiler:

These 2 episodes were a solid start to the season IMO.

Agreed guys, so far so good. It hasn't completely left nu-Trek behind in certain aspects but as long as they appear to have a compelling story I think I can deal with that.

Just finished episode 2. I think this time, they've managed to get in the dark gritty stuff which they've been trying to shove down our throats since season 1 of Discovery, separate whatever good part they could from that, and fit it in with the more optimistic view Star Trek is known for.

Some thoughts:
Spoiler Spoiler:

These 2 episodes were a solid start to the season IMO.

As the audience who is connected to Picard and Riker, we have an obvious bias but Shaw’s logic here is sound. Tactically inferior vs. a significant force, 500 personnel vs. 2, “the needs of the many”. He shows he’s capable of personal growth when he consider’s Seven’s input.

Shaw is like Jellico, calculated in what he does, emotion is secondary. He brings good balance and grit to the show. For me, he and Riker are making the show so far. I hope he makes it through the season.

I too liked seeing Picard take command. Leaders don’t stop being leaders so this felt like Picard, and is what we should’ve gotten in Season 1.

Every time the show switched over to Raffi just stifled things. I found the exchange between her ex-husband to be on the dumb side. She’s cleaned her life up and is asking for help to essentially save countless lives, and his response is to offer her a choice between her son and Sneed (the Ferengi). The ultimatum doesn’t work given where she’s at in life, it’s not like she’s in her trailer getting high like in Season 1.

The Worf sequence was incredible but not a surprise given the trailers. The decapitation of Sneed (not necessary) who easily was no threat to Worf was hasty seeing as he likely had valuable intel.

I liked last weeks episode more but we’re gradually building on the story.

Looking forward to next week.

Last edited:
Back