Spielberg and DreamWorks to make 3D Ghost in the Shell!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. I think GitS has run it's course and should just be allowed to rest. There's the original GitS (preceded by it's manga), GitS Sac, Sac 2nd Gig, and then GitS: Innocence (not sure about the order there). How much more do we need?

However, I can understand the desire to reach a broader audience by creating a Hollywood spectacle version of the original anime, but I still don't think it's something that, say, my mother, father or anybody that isn't interested in heavy sci-fi with a lot of tech-talk would want to see. Everyone else should just be directed to the anime.

But I want to be surprised. Who knows?

I heard about this and as I already said on Takotech Shirow Masamune forum.

This could go 2 ways:

- Aeon Flux way: the animation is much better than the film, and no one got interested in it very much nor making figures for the movie.

- Or this could be huge, and Hollywood production to go further, lots of new fans etc.

I'm a bit skeptical about Hollywood movie but I'll watch it for sure. But I love GITS so I have hope!!

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the movies and series, and although I was shocked when I first heard of this, there's definitely potential, but a HUGE chance for a misfire... I really hope spielberg respects the source material and doesnt stray too far from it (though there's understandable room for change since it's going to be catered toward Americans). He's definitely capable, but I dont know about the writer...

Hopefully, it'll be a futuristic crime drama... sorta like blade runner meets the matrix (2/3 blade runner, 1/3 matrix [and i mean the first matrix movie]). As long as Motoko, Batou, and Aramaki are in the film and their personalities are left somewhat intact, i think fans of the anime will be pleased.

I think the KEYS to the film being a success are to keep the story serious and locked in a plausible futuristic "reality," and NOT to give Motoko's role to a recognizable movie star (e.g., Angelina Jolie).

just my two cents...

One VERY LARGE positive i can see is if Spielberg's design department takes Shirow's Seburo weapons designs and actually makes them into the artillery for Section 9. I'd love for a prop company to make an all-metal version of Motoko's Seburo M-5. -Drools-

this'll be doubly awesome if the film is actually good ^_____^

Have you seen Britney Spears's Break the Ice clip? Ghost in the Shell is writtenj all over it... Copyright?

Back