Spielberg and DreamWorks to make 3D Ghost in the Shell!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcummins

Universal MODster
Reaction score
Thanks to Henshin Hobby for the news...

Spielberg and Dreamworks are making a 3D live action movie based on Ghost in the Shell!

Variety said:

https://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117984029&categoryid=13 To print this page, select "PRINT" from the File Menu of your browser.
Posted: Mon., Apr. 14, 2008, 9:00pm PT

DreamWorks to make 'Ghost' in 3-D

Spielberg fights for rights to Japanese thriller

By MICHAEL FLEMING, TATIANA SIEGEL

DreamWorks has acquired rights to the Japanese manga "Ghost in the Shell" with plans to adapt the futuristic police thriller as a 3-D live-action feature.
Story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.
Created by Masamune Shirow, "Ghost in the Shell" was first published in 1989 by Kodansha, one of the largest publishing companies in Japan. It went on to generate two additional manga editions, three anime film adaptations, an anime TV series and three videogames. The second anime film, "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence," was released in the U.S. by DreamWorks in 2004. Production IG produced all the anime.
Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul of Seaside Entertainment are attached to produce and brought the project to the studio. The rights deal was brokered in Japan by Filosphia's Tetsu Fujimora. He will exec produce with Mistuhisa Ishikawa. Jamie Moss has been tapped to pen the adaptation.
Universal and Sony were also chasing "Ghost in the Shell," but Steven Spielberg took personal interest in the property and made it happen at DreamWorks.
" 'Ghost in the Shell' is one of my favorite stories," Spielberg said. "It's a genre that has arrived, and we enthusiastically welcome it to DreamWorks."
DreamWorks prexy of production Adam Goodman said "Ghost in the Shell" is a property "that epitomizes 3-D live-action motion picture possibilities."
Avi Arad is at the forefront of comicbook-based material, having produced the three "Spider-Man" films, the three "X-Men" movies, the two "Fantastic Four" picss and the upcoming "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk."
Moss' writing credits include "Street Kings," which bowed Friday, and "Last Man Home," in development at Universal.

Click here to read Variety's review of "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence."
Read the full article at:
https://www.variety.com/article/VR1117984029.html
Like this article? Variety.com has over 150,000 articles, 40,000 reviews and 10,000 pages of charts. Subscribe today!
https://www.variety.com/emailfriend
or call (866) MY-VARIETY.
Can't commit? Sign up for a free trial!
https://www.variety.com/emailfriend
© 2008 Reed Business Information
Use of this Website is subject to Terms of Use. Privacy Policy

That article was posted on April 14th. You're kinda late to the party, but whatever.

Anyway, here's to Hollywood destroying one of my all-time favorite anime films. Spielberg better not F this up, or else...well, I can't do anything about it.

I predict it will be terrible, Live action movies of Anime are bad... especially when made in the US.

With Spielberg involved this could be great.

Now I just want to know when Star Blazers is going to actually happen.

That article was posted on April 14th. You're kinda late to the party, but whatever.

Anyway, here's to Hollywood destroying one of my all-time favorite anime films. Spielberg better not F this up, or else...well, I can't do anything about it.

How am I late if no one had posted anything about it? I didn't know about it and I bet a lot of members didn't either... I guess if I can't post on the day of a news release, I should just assume everyone already knows... :(

i think this is going to be sweet. ghost in the shell was one of the first anime i ever saw and if spielberg is doing it it could be sweet

How am I late if no one had posted anything about it? I didn't know about it and I bet a lot of members didn't either... I guess if I can't post on the day of a news release, I should just assume everyone already knows... :(

Yes. But yeah it wasn't posted here before, so I guess I'm jumping the gun. Obviously I was attending a different, but all too similar party.

Any hardcore anime fan worth their salt has seen Ghost in the Shell. It laid the down the template for a certain film trilogy, machines and all. I just hope it's in good hands.

Spielberg and DreamWorks to make 3D Ghost in the Shell!
WHY??

The anime films and TV shows don't need to be improved on.
Spielberg can do great Sci-Fi, of the recent stuff, I loved Minority Report and liked War of the Worlds (that punk kid should've died!!!!!) but I don't want him screwing with GITS.
I'll expect this to be dumbed down and westernized, which will be completely boring.

I don't care if Spielberg is involved or not. This anime should not be touched as it's a stand-alone masterpiece and will only get ruined by the turds working at Hollywood. I guess making remakes of 80's flicks isn't enough nowadays.:rolleyes:

Well, I for one am all for more GITS. The movie may suck, but it will introduce the property to a new audience which can ultimately be good for everybody. I love the anime, but I can only watch the same thing over and over so many times. If the audience is opened up, then there may be new interest in creating new stories. Possibly a 3rd season of SAC, etc.

If you think it is going to ruin it, don't go see it. It's as simple as that.

Well, I for one am all for more GITS. The movie may suck, but it will introduce the property to a new audience which can ultimately be good for everybody. I love the anime, but I can only watch the same thing over and over so many times. If the audience is opened up, then there may be new interest in creating new stories. Possibly a 3rd season of SAC, etc.

If you think it is going to ruin it, don't go see it. It's as simple as that.

I pretty much agree... but I'll reserve judgement until we start getting some real details.

Back