Spider-Man 4/5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Looks like it might be getting official:

Raimi and Maguire Set for Spider-Man 4?
Source:Deadline Hollywood Daily September 5, 2008

Back in May, Cinematical was the first to report that Sony Pictures might shoot Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5 at the same time using James Vanderbilt's script that the site said spans two films.

Now, Deadline Hollywood Daily has added on that director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire have apparently signed on the dotted line for Spider-Man 4, which the studio is targeting for a May 2011 release.

DHD adds that there's no deal for Kirsten Dunst to return as Mary Jane Watson yet, but the character will be featured and the studio would not recast her.

As for the baddie in the fourth picture, the site says that principal photography doesn't start until the fall of 2009 and that once we find out who the villain we'll know who is playing it. Naturally, speculation would put Dylan Baker's character Dr. Curt Connors/The Lizard at the head of the line, but who knows?

According to the site, "the studio is trying to figure out if it can feasibly shoot Spider-Man 4 and 5 at the same time because doing that is so cost effective and 'it wasn't so easy to get everybody back together.'"

DHD also says that Sony has hired two screenwriters to pen the new script for the Spidey spin-off Venom.

Is this all accurate? We'll have to wait and see if/when the studio starts making some announcements, which could be a while!

Re: Spider-Man 4

MOAR: Expect an announcement soon
Spider-Man 4, 5 & Venom Updates
by Jay in Marvel at 11:27 PM on 2008.09.05

It is being reported by The Hollywood Reporter that both actor Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi are very close to signing on with Sony’s Spider-Man 4 and 5. Reports have indicated that the next two movies will be filmed together in the fall 2009 in order to keep costs down. The same thing was done with the “Lord of the Rings” movies which were filmed back-to-back in just 274 days.

Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad will be producing and the screenplay will be written by Jamie Vanderbilt ("Zodiac"). Spider-Man 4 is aiming for a 2011 release. No word yet on what villains will debut in this movie or if Kirsten Dunst will be reprising her role as Mary Jane Watson.

In related news, it is also being reported that Sony has picked up the pace with their progress of the Spider-Man spin-off movie, Venom. Writer Jacob Estes has been selected to draft a script while also bringing on board scribes Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese, who penned "Zombieland" for the studio.

No word if actor Topher Grace who played Venom in "Spider-Man 3" will reprise his role for this movie or if they will look to new talent to take on the part. Many critics of Spider-Man 3 have voiced their desire to see someone bigger and more buff to take on the role so he would be more menacing as he appears in the comics.

I hope they give Raimi more freedom to do what he wants. Venom was somewhat forced on him and it really seemingly screwed up the script for Spidey 3 with too many villains and characters.

The whole symbiote suit was handled VERY poorly (even the Spidey animated series storyline was better...with the symbiote suit being discovered from a meteor taken by John Jameson) and Venom wasn't the fierce anti-Spidey he was supposed to be.

I don't know if I'd like to see Venom back...part of me says YES, because I love the character and hopefully he would be handled respectfully, but part of me says NO and thinks they should move on with the other Spidey villains, and perhaps tie Spidey 4 and 5 together as a Sinister Six type plot. Yeah that might be a lot of villains, but having two films to spread it out will be much better than packing it into one.

I'm typically a cynical bastard...and after Spiderman 3 I all but swore off the franchise....

But this actually sounds promising. If Raimi's coming back it's probably on his own terms so hopefully there will be no one forcing him to crowbar villains into the films.

They could easily recast Dunst and I wouldn't lose sleep. She's pretty annoying and only about 29% as hot as MJ's supposed to be.

I'm ready to see what happens :monkey5

She's pretty annoying and only about 29% as hot as MJ's supposed to be.

29%? That is pretty generous. Dunst is a troll that looks like what you fear you'd wake up next to after a night of drinking. For me she was easily the weakest part of all Spider-Man films and that includes all the cluster^^^^ that was 3

29%? That is pretty generous. Dunst is a troll that looks like what you fear you'd wake up next to after a night of drinking. For me she was easily the weakest part of all Spider-Man films and that includes all the cluster^^^^ that was 3

Nice, I'm in total agreement with The Mike here, she's no where near the part when I read that in the beginning of the thread that they might not cast of I was like "good" she doesn't deserve that role anyways, substitute someone hotter please!!! I think Toby is a must though, I wouldn't want it to be anyone else, he's the franchise IMO!

:lecture:lecture:lecture

they should have used bryce dallas howard as mj , and she is a natural red head and hotter than dunst:monkey5

Yeah, I was always disappointed with Dunst as playing Mary Jane. Granted Dunst plays other wells pretty well, I just don't think she was a good fit. NOT HOT ENOUGH!!!!

Yeah, I was always disappointed with Dunst as playing Mary Jane. Granted Dunst plays other wells pretty well, I just don't think she was a good fit. NOT HOT ENOUGH!!!!

Dude, I totally agree...They need to find a thick Mary Jane...:D

I hope they give Raimi more freedom to do what he wants. Venom was somewhat forced on him and it really seemingly screwed up the script for Spidey 3 with too many villains and characters.

The whole symbiote suit was handled VERY poorly (even the Spidey animated series storyline was better...with the symbiote suit being discovered from a meteor taken by John Jameson) and Venom wasn't the fierce anti-Spidey he was supposed to be.

Couldn't agree more.

SM3 was just a train wreck. :(

I actually thought that Sandman was great through the first half of the movie but as soon as Venom shows up the movie tanked.

The Lizard would be a great choice for the villain. I still think Kraven would make an outstanding movie villain.

I find it ironic that in Spidey 3 a redhead plays a blonde and a blonde plays a redhead.

I look forward to 4 and 5 so long as they are good. And they will have to be very good if 4 comes out in 2011 since we'll be getting Cap and the Avengers that year.

Nice! Glad to here tobey and sam are coming back.

Dunst? don't really care if she does or not.

4-5 back to back sounds NICE!

Back