Slik?s Star Wars customs and more

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[mention]TaliBane [/mention] do you have the correct length of the Snowspeeder? Including or not including the cannons?
Canon says 5.3m, but I?m not sure if that would include the cannons or if it?s totally accurate. I started printing a very accurate Snowspeeder, but the dimensions are just a bit off and it seems, if I include the cannons in the 5.3m, the cockpit will get too small.
The model I have, which is supposed to be very accurate and 1:12, is the correct canon length if I remove the cannons in the front. So maybe the 5.3 meters is not including the cannons?

I believe that Hoody was mostly referring to PLA printing which is a very different process. You should only use resin for small objects that need to be very precise.

Yes, there are a few ways to interpret the size of the A-wing. The earlier canon 9.5m was quite ridiculous compared to on screen and the Bandai 8.5m is way too big as well. But the 6.9m in full length that is now canon is a nice middle ground, so that?s what I went for. But if you have less room to display it or you just find the smaller size more compelling, there?s certainly reasons for choosing to make it smaller.
I printed the canopy in clear resin, but the best way would be to vacuum form it. I IG ht do that some time, but this works pretty good visually.
But in that case you shouldn?t choose this model as you wouldn?t be able to fit the pilot in there, no matter how much you mod the cockpit area. It would be way too small.
Btw, when you say that everything is out there to print it?s sort of a relative statement... there?s certainly a lot out there, but there?s also a pretty significant lack of accuracy and I?m sure that would frustrate you. But, not far in the future everything will be there I imagine.

I was just trying to get the damn thing as small as possible for practical/display space reasons then did the super-deep dive into the ROTJ a-wing onscreen.:lol It is pretty funny how heated the modeller forums got about the scale of the A-wing - for me it was just about matching the pilot/ship proportions of the two ILM A-wings models but also discovering that the 1:1 cockpit proportions actually appeared closer to the ILM cockpit's than most in the model forums seemed to think (at least enough that it could be argued either way.)

I MOST wanted an a-wing that matched the pilot/ship proportions seen in the MPC vintage A-wing model box (based on the ILM models) I stared at as a kid....

325182-27767-26-720.jpg

BTW, I did remove those a-wing comparison pics I posted earlier in your thread so as not to clutter!:lecture

Pilot ready for duty
618b025ec1b1fe6149302e3fc4137161.jpg

c9d1ac9d13ea7eafcdc1af9872e06f8f.jpg

c6a098a1743ea9b20e181c0a366893b7.jpg

3611e6eaaf41f8d863b8602bc357be1c.jpg

129997f545fba752c3315a73ca7bd8f7.jpg

Looking awesome!:clap Love the lights and that Ripley gets the pilot seat (I think that was the weird "female pilot with male voice" pilot)

The printed "glass" doesn't look too bad but I still think - short of making a buck to do a vac-form (I believe that's what scratchbuilder is doing for his landspeeder build's windshield) - searching soda type bottles might yield a shape that's close and be a bit more transparent. It's a bummer the a-wing has curved glass, unlike most other SW fighters. And yeah I'm researching snowspeeder. Modeller forums go on about the "bobble head" pilots in the snowsp models making it hard to judge scale.

I was simply trying to get the damn thing as small as possible for practical/display space reasons then did the super-deep dive into the ROTJ a-wing onscreen. It is pretty funny how heated the modeller forums got about the scale of the A-wing - to me it was just about matching the pilot/ship proportions of the two ILM A-wings models and then discovering that the 1:1 cockpit actually appeared closer to the ILM cockpit scale than most in the model forums seemed to think (at least enough that it could be argued either way.)

Based on the ILM models, I MOST wanted an a-wing that matched the pilot/ship proportions seen in the MPC vintage A-wing model box I stared at as a kid....

325182-27767-26-720.jpg

BTW, I did remove those a-wing comparison pics I posted earlier in your thread so as not to clutter!:lecture

Looking awesome!:clap Love the lights and that Ripley gets the pilot seat (I think that was the weird "female pilot with male voice" pilot)

The glass doesn't look too bad but I still think - short of making a buck to do a vac-form (I believe that's what scratchbuilder is doing for his landspeeder build - searching soda type bottles might yield a shape that's close and be a bit more transparent. It's a bummer the a-wing has curved glass, unlike most other SW ships. And yeah I'm researching snowspeeder. Modeller forums go on about the "bobble head" pilots in the snowsp models making it hard to judge scale.

There would definitely be an argument for making a very small A-wing even if it?s not canon. If you were using the files that I?m using you would need to rebuild the cockpit area though. Guess it would be doable with enough work.
If you find out about the Snowspeeder, please let me know. I would think that the 5.3m is including the front cannons, but it would help with fitting sixth scale figures inside if it wasn?t including the cannons.
I want to make whatever I build as close to canon as possible so I won?t be questioning the size later when looking at it... as with all SW sizes are up for debate, so it?s easier to just stick to canon.

Very cool !! Really going at Lightspeed here !

What's next ? [emoji23]

Snowspeeder right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool !! Really going at Lightspeed here !

What's next ? [emoji23]

Snowspeeder right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think the Snowspeeder is next. But I?m taking a little break... I started printing the Snowspeeder, but I believe it?s a bit too small, so I?ll need to start over. I need to figure out if the front cannons are included in the 5.3m length... if not it would make more room in the cockpit. Just can?t seem to find the info anywhere.

abeda8f8aef77c96d2041ac535894717.plist

The pilot seat is dedicated to all the female pilots who were cut from the finished movie - apparently because the audience wouldn?t accept seeing women being killed in battle.

69d9aef9fa832780bb058e21863dd7f6.jpg

There would definitely be an argument for making a very small A-wing even if it?s not canon. If you were using the files that I?m using you would need to rebuild the cockpit area though. Guess it would be doable with enough work.
If you find out about the Snowspeeder, please let me know. I would think that the 5.3m is including the front cannons, but it would help with fitting sixth scale figures inside if it wasn?t including the cannons.
I want to make whatever I build as close to canon as possible so I won?t be questioning the size later when looking at it... as with all SW sizes are up for debate, so it?s easier to just stick to canon.

Yes, I think the Snowspeeder is next. But I?m taking a little break... I started printing the Snowspeeder, but I believe it?s a bit too small, so I?ll need to start over. I need to figure out if the front cannons are included in the 5.3m length... if not it would make more room in the cockpit. Just can?t seem to find the info anywhere.

The Snowspeeder and A-wing are totally different in that there's TONS of good reference for the full Snowspeeder cockpit, from different angles, and with people in it (vs A-wing that has a single, somewhat distorted shot of only a third of a full size cockpit, so hard to judge exactly) so I'd scale the whole snowspeeder using the cockpit as the driver of the size. BUt yeah, from what I've seen there is no dimensioned blueprint of the Snowspeeder prop that has ever been released.

abeda8f8aef77c96d2041ac535894717.plist

The pilot seat is dedicated to all the female pilots who were cut from the finished movie - apparently because the audience wouldn?t accept seeing women being killed in battle.

69d9aef9fa832780bb058e21863dd7f6.jpg

That's crazy. And here Prowse was angry they dubbed his voice over - imagine you're a woman seen in a SW movie and they change your voice to a man.:slap

Also, is the printed cockpit glass slightly yellowed or is that just the lighting that's doing that?

Holy Crap is that A-Wing cool! I can't believe we live in an age where one can print their own 1/6 scale Star Wars ships.

Awesome job on painting, detailing and lighting. The pilot is great as well.

Really loving your output on all of these projects lately.

Respect!

The Snowspeeder and A-wing are totally different in that there's TONS of good reference for the full Snowspeeder cockpit, from different angles, and with people in it (vs A-wing that has a single, somewhat distorted shot of only a third of a full size cockpit, so hard to judge exactly) so I'd scale the whole snowspeeder using the cockpit as the driver of the size. BUt yeah, from what I've seen there is no dimensioned blueprint of the Snowspeeder prop that has ever been released.

That's crazy. And here Prowse was angry they dubbed his voice over - imagine you're a woman seen in a SW movie and they change your voice to a man.:slap

Also, is the printed cockpit glass slightly yellowed or is that just the lighting that's doing that?

Thanks all! :)

Yes, I?ll probably increase the size a bit to gain more room in the cockpit. Actually the model I have, which is very accurate, is listed as 1:12 and is 1:12 of 5.30m without the front cannons. So maybe I should just scale it by 200% and be done with it.

Yes, as the resin hardens with UV light it also turns the clear resin slightly yellow. The more uv exposure while printing the more yellow. Before I assembled the thing I didn?t like it, but now I really do. Makes the light from the cockpit somehow ?cozy?. And the distortion from certain angles because of the thickness is actually pretty cool too. Of course the seams aren?t ideal, but they really aren?t that visible. So I think I?ll stick with the printed canopy.

I would talk to marine boy because of his amazing build. In that thread he references a paper model that was helpful and his build seems to bear out that the scale of that reference is good. You can cross check it with your stuff and maybe have a good starting point.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back