1/6 Sideshow Snowtrooper Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caved and picked this up at a discount awhile back off eBay. On one hand I'm glad to own it as it's a decent figure and really was a necessary character to have in my relatively large hoth collection.

But on the other hand I am still miffed that the clearly superior Hot Toys figure was shown only to vanish in favor of this. If Hot Toys ever makes their version I would have to buy it too.

I caved and picked this up at a discount awhile back off eBay. On one hand I'm glad to own it as it's a decent figure and really was a necessary character to have in my relatively large hoth collection.

But on the other hand I am still miffed that the clearly superior Hot Toys figure was shown only to vanish in favor of this. If Hot Toys ever makes their version I would have to buy it too.

I’ve been googling and looking around for pictures of the HT commander, but I just can’t seem to find any. Could you or anyone post a picture please?

image.jpg

This was the original HT offering we were shown. Which then became this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 11.08.02.jpg

And now we have the released figure which is thankfully closer to the HT but not quite.

Photos courtesy of the original poster form earlier in the thread.

This was the side by side shot posted:
Snowtrooper.jpg

Thank you! ...yes, that does look good. Superior, but the SSC version doesn’t fall through though.

I agree. The final released version does resemble the original HT preview much more. It's a figure I'll definitely be picking up from one vendor or another.

Just caved and ordered via BBTS. Sideshow has this on waitlist. Now I'll have to consider the AT-AT driver too for my Hoth Collection. Hoping Hot Toys eventually get around to updating Sideshow's versions -- which are pretty good, but could still be improved upon.

Just caved and ordered via BBTS. Sideshow has this on waitlist. Now I'll have to consider the AT-AT driver too for my Hoth Collection. Hoping Hot Toys eventually get around to updating Sideshow's versions -- which are pretty good, but could still be improved upon.

Tiny details apart, what would you have HT improve on the driver? Don’t see much they could do better - and they would probably make the helmet too small...

Looking at the HT pic just irritates me. The superior boots, gloves, and helmet. The overall crispness of the armor and paint. I might be able to forgive a little of that if sideshow had just included a damn pointing figure but of course not! What good is a commander on the field if not barking orders pointing his grunts in the right direction?

Decided to pic this guy up before they disappear and I end up regretting it. Considering it's such a minor troop variation and seemingly a lackluster release from SSC, I really don't see HT getting to this guy anytime soon, if at all. The figure deservedly took a lot of heat after the initial tease images hit, but Sideshow did correct many of the problems and this is definitely a solid release. Seems to me it takes a lot of undue flack still, but it's a well done figure and much better in hand than in pics. It's a very simple trooper and I'm really not sure what else you could do with it. Like the AT-At pilot, the moon boots limit any sort of action pose, but they are very sturdy and both my Commander and AT-AT pilot can stand well on their own, even taking bumps to the cabinet they're in.

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

Nice pics. Yeah I've been back and forth on this fig a few times now.

They really did a nice job with the helmet, though the fig has so many stupid Sideshow inaccuracies - the thickness of the helmet flare, the soft detailing on the "cheek" metal discs, the inaccuracies on the chest armor (the angled sides of the chest armor are too narrow - eg area where the badge is positioned is only 2/3's the width it should be - and the "lip" that runs around the whole chest armor piece is twice as thick/prominent as it should be,) the shoulder armor pieces have small sculpt inaccuracies, and that awful holster and clunky oven mitts from the ATAT driver just sour the effort.

That said, it's a quite solid figure overall that displays very nicely and most of the criticism I've heard about the fig - no weathering and the cowl being too long - are either unfair or negligible. I like the length of the coat (an oversight on SSC's goofy Snowie from years ago) and he's not quite as too-tall as the ATAT driver was, though unfortunate that he's still a tad too tall while the HT Snowie most will display him with is too short (by more than 1/4".)

It's a tough call as they really did step up the game after the debacle of the first showing of the figure and corrected the helmet quite well. The thing that bugs me is I'd have to do a fairly major overhaul on the fig to get it accurate and I'm still recovering from all the work that the SSC Luke and Han Hoth figs required to get them accurate.

HT has a whole host of inaccuracies too, but Sideshow's errors are often so glaring and so avoidable that they show a laziness and lack of attention to detail that should never happen on $200+ figs. It's as big of a problem as Sideshow's decade-long struggle (not yet successful) to make lifelike human heads.

Back