Statue Sideshow Rancor statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it on preorder but canceled. Just not screen accurate enough for the price. Gentle Giant was much closer. Plus this isn't a true 1/6 more like 1/7 or 1/8

The Gentle Giant is an awesome looking piece but it falls in a completely different category nowadays. It's of course much smaller so it doesn't fit in at all with a 1/6 collection and the aftermarket price is sky high. You could argue paint and sculpt but the agressive pose of the Sideshow is much better suited for this monster.

But you are right, I think this is closer to 1/7 scale but it's so damn big it still looks great among 1/6 stuff.

Review video. This guy says it's made of PVC too but it's not. Below is a pic of the inside of mine showing the sloppy fiberglass strands.

https://youtu.be/KYsd9ET0apA
7edc24a103db80e0919025cc60764f5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I?m curious as to how people have him displayed. I have this incoming as well as a massive 1/4 scale custom Wampa on order and I need display options for large pieces. I want them separated from my stacks of 1/4 scales to give them more prominence. Pics of how you display pieces this size would be appreciated. I may even venture to build a pedestal myself for the first time.

You bought proof that it's fiberglass. He says it's PVC probably because the other guy said so lol. Aw, the internet sometimes is a great source of disinformation.

It makes sense afterall that it's fiberglass, no company would have the balls to charge that amount for a cheap Neca style material. Oh wait...

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

I am not sure why the images are appearing sideways. Here is an idea of how I displayed this beast.

It is massive. It's a collection cornerstone piece. It's going to be very sought after when it sells out, and the edition size is a very low 600. The price will likely be insane in a couple years. From a resell standpoint I think this will be about as good as it gets. But it's not the easiest flip in the world. It ships in two massive boxes and Sideshow is already limiting this to one per account.

I never got into this character and I don't see this being a grail. However, it is very good and cool. Sucks being hallow. But oh well. Anyways, still a great statue. But its to damn big and I never was a fan of this character. He was only in ROTJ for such a short time. Imagine if this was thicker instead of how hallow it is. I saw my friends. It has presence but where do you put it LOL. Im more of a custom star wars statue collector now. But again great statue. I just wish side show would put more into making it solid. But its side show. Still amazing. Peace.

Just an honest question:

When looking at this statue, what difference does it make being hollow or not?

It's an impressive piece, no doubt my mind. But no one seems to be speaking on how light the color on it is. Shouldn't it have come out oranger/darker? Don't think it's a deal-breaker, but it's the first thing my eye notices.

The colour is discussed pretty much here, I've seen a lot of different pictures, most of them are taken in bright lighting just like the earlier pics by Sideshow where 2 guys showed it.

I think in good lighting it will look just fine.

Making good pictures is proven to be really hard for a lot of people and bad pictures make other people think the product is bad. (Happens all the time in the world of collecting)

in regards to the colour...yeah it looked so washed out in some pics that I was convinced I had to have the whole thing repainted. But then in a newer review the paint looked just about perfect...I will decide for myself when he gets here.

It's an impressive piece, no doubt my mind. But no one seems to be speaking on how light the color on it is. Shouldn't it have come out oranger/darker? Don't think it's a deal-breaker, but it's the first thing my eye notices.

I can tell you it's definitely not as I light as it appears in some of the photos. It's not as dark as the Gentle Giant either. I have watched the ROTJ scene several times and it's difficult to tell how dark he should be because of all the wonky lighting, shadows, and darkness. In the film he also has a wet look too him like he is all slimy and I'm glad Sideshow didn't try to recreate that. Personally I'm happy with the paint overall, especially considering it's from Sideshow. There are areas that could be a bit better I think, like his claws and perhaps the spikes on his shoulders. Overall I feel like Sideshow did a solid job mixing tans, browns, and blacks. But it's possible another company could have done it even better.

A couple pics displaying my poor photography skills with a phone. I set these up pretty quick, so apologies for not thoroughly futzing the figures.
da08372c098b0637f647f71ffe1d93ec.jpg
e1618c936f14d168c8666099dc28c781.jpg
ae3481d2eed856831b3f27c4e65d2aee.jpg
989ebee82c2df844e959db0fcb4b7322.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

That looks awesome!!!!

Where's did you get the bone for Luke? (That's exactly how I want display it).

That looks awesome!!!!

Where's did you get the bone for Luke? (That's exactly how I want display it).

Thanks! The bone came from the original Jedi Luke Sideshow figure. I busted down two of those for parts so you can see the exact same bone sitting on top of the Rancor base as well. That Jedi Luke figure isn't my best by a long shot. It's bashed with the Sideshow V1 black suit with a loose HT vest covering it, the V1 Sideshow boots, and a loose Sideshow V2 Jedi sculpt on a generic body. So it will look even better with a proper HT figure, mine are in detolfs.

If having the Rancor interact with other figs like this I think it helps to sell the illusion if you display Luke or whoever without a base or a thin base for scaling purposes since the Rancor isn't quite 1/6 scale.

Awesome pics, TFH! :clap

I never got into this character and I don't see this being a grail. However, it is very good and cool. Sucks being hallow. But oh well. Anyways, still a great statue. But its to damn big and I never was a fan of this character. He was only in ROTJ for such a short time. Imagine if this was thicker instead of how hallow it is. I saw my friends. It has presence but where do you put it LOL. Im more of a custom star wars statue collector now. But again great statue. I just wish side show would put more into making it solid. But its side show. Still amazing. Peace.

Who cares if it's solid? :lol So it can cost more to ship and be heavier?

It may not be 1/6 to the ROTJ Rancor, but I'm sure like every other species they come in all shapes and sizes - and at it's current size, it absolutely sells the illusion of a big angry beast the could devour you in one piece next to those 1/6 figures!

Turd, if you have any way to mould one of those bones, I'd be happy to pay for it, at whatever it costs you.

Among the SSC greats like the Dewback, Jabba & the Child.
Looks great, Turd :rock

Thanks all! I really do love the environment pieces and creatures Sideshow has done over the years. I have been lucky enough to track down a lot of these like the Dewback, Taun Taun, Jabba, Speeder Bike, etc and the Rancor is the most extravagant of them all. They are great compliments to the 1/6 figures and for me break up the monotony of one 12" figure after another. I have a weak spot for ROTJ as it was the first Star Wars movie I saw in the theater and the ferocious Rancor made a lasting impression as my all time favorite cinema monster. Hope you all can get your hands on one too!

Would love to see a 1/6 Wampa next...

Thanks all! I really do love the environment pieces and creatures Sideshow has done over the years. I have been lucky enough to track down a lot of these like the Dewback, Taun Taun, Jabba, Speeder Bike, etc and the Rancor is the most extravagant of them all. They are great compliments to the 1/6 figures and for me break up the monotony of one 12" figure after another. I have a weak spot for ROTJ as it was the first Star Wars movie I saw in the theater and the ferocious Rancor made a lasting impression as my all time favorite cinema monster. Hope you all can get your hands on one too!

Would love to see a 1/6 Wampa next...

Wampa on the way in both 1/6 and 1/4 scale. It is a custom from a very well respected and huge star wars fan who has already delivered other seller custom statues. I can get you info via pm if interested. it isn't cheap and you will be paying hundreds of dollars just for shipping.

Back