1/6 Sideshow GI Joe line on Hiatus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stepping back for a second, and considering all that SSC gave us, despite the disappointment over this announcement I don't know that the analogy to LOTR or Indiana Jones goes too far. This line produced a lot of figures--most of the major players in a line that had a lot of them--and lasted, what, 6 years? Yeah, no Scarlett or Lady Jaye kind of sucks, and it's too bad we never got a card accurate Destro or Firefly, but I think those of us who were into them were party to a nice little run. Surely, no one who is a fan of ninjas can come away disappointed :lol

Only those of us who were fans of GI Joe, right? There were hits and misses in this line but to me there were more hits on the COBRA and ninja side of things and more misses in the GI Joe part of the line. For me it was accuracy; how could they be so accurate in past lines like Universal Monsters, LOTR, James Bond and Star Wars yet be so "off" for characters in this line? Making '88 Storm Shadow a bad guy was what really made me give up on this line. I know some collectors didn't care but for me that, plus Destro, were dealbreakers.

But SSC paid for the license

Does Hasbro go back and refund them for the years they didn't want product out?

I don't think Hasbro has anything to do with this hiatus, this I'd all a SSC decision

You misunderstand or perhaps I didn't explain it well enough. My bad.

I am saying that because of Hasbro's "lack of interest" (and perhaps lack of profits) in pushing and developing numerous new products for the G.I. Joe line (unlike Transformers, Marvel and Star Wars) essentially affect Sideshow's own sales. Because the "main line" (by Hasbro) isn't being promoted or supported properly, that subsequent "other Joe merchandise" like t-shirts, posters and yes, Sideshow's own G.I. JOE line...will suffer as well. Granted, Sideshow made their own perceived "mistakes" with the line, but it's hard not to see that a perceived vision of the main line's decline and lack of popularity is subsequently affecting Sideshow's own confidence and sales in the product.

For the most part, I liked Sideshow's interpretations. Heck, I even like what they did with Destro! But it really does sound like the line is done. It's LOTR and Indy all over again. They claim that they're not done with the license, but what it really means is that they're done with the 1/6 line but will continue doing dioramas and statues and 1/4 scale and props. Basically everything BUT 1/6. So technically, yeah, they're still doing Joe stuff. Just not 1/6.

the problem with that is GI Joe is a posable "Action" figure,not a stupid statue that does NOTHING.GI Joe should 1/6 first before any statue

You misunderstand or perhaps I didn't explain it well enough. My bad.

I am saying that because of Hasbro's "lack of interest" (and perhaps lack of profits) in pushing and developing numerous new products for the G.I. Joe line (unlike Transformers, Marvel and Star Wars) essentially affect Sideshow's own sales. Because the "main line" (by Hasbro) isn't being promoted or supported properly, that subsequent "other Joe merchandise" like t-shirts, posters and yes, Sideshow's own G.I. JOE line...will suffer as well. Granted, Sideshow made their own perceived "mistakes" with the line, but it's hard not to see that a perceived vision of the main line's decline and lack of popularity is subsequently affecting Sideshow's own confidence and sales in the product.

Agreed, I just didn't think Hasbro would pull the license outright from anyone, wouldn't make sense if the holder still wanted to make product.

as for the other discussion on SSC saying the line in not done, i want SSC to nut up and either go on fb or at Sdcc gve us all an update or explanation as to what they are doing. Think they owe the paying customer at least some insight as to what their plans are, I don't need product development info or this figure that figure being made, just straight from the horses mouth, we are stopping/ slowing or killing the line altogether.

For a company who was once so involved with their customers, they've done a complete 180 and share nothing now.

By the way...speak of the devil. Here is some potential GOOD NEWS for Hasbro's "main line" and potential figures (likely Hot Toys again perhaps?).

G.I. Joe 3 poster spotted at a recent Licensing Expo in Las Vegas.

https://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/gi-joe-movie-2/g-i-joe-3-teaser-poster-revealed-13103/
g4017426c.gif

Agreed, I just didn't think Hasbro would pull the license outright from anyone, wouldn't make sense if the holder still wanted to make product.

as for the other discussion on SSC saying the line in not done, i want SSC to nut up and either go on fb or at Sdcc gve us all an update or explanation as to what they are doing. Think they owe the paying customer at least some insight as to what their plans are, I don't need product development info or this figure that figure being made, just straight from the horses mouth, we are stopping/ slowing or killing the line altogether.

For a company who was once so involved with their customers, they've done a complete 180 and share nothing now.

most Businesses feel they don't owe anybody Squat...I'd be shocked if they gave us 100% truthful information

most Businesses feel they don't owe anybody Squat...I'd be shocked if they gave us 100% truthful information

SSC doesn't owe us squat either, but it's a different business, one which involves collectors that you want buying your stuff, so they should always try to keep us on the hook

G.I. Joe is like the tide guys, it rises and it wanes. It's up and things are good and then it's down and things are bad. It's probably Hasbro's most inconsistent own property and unfortunately the world climate and view of the military and terrorist organizations is a sensitive subject to "sell" to kids. The comics is the only place where Real American Hero fans can get "their" fill of Joe stories "like we all think it should be". On top of that, it's difficult to get a solid movie that can appeal to all the masses...perhaps Hasbro is happy just making one hour-long toy commercials for people to pay for and then turning to buy the toys in stores.

GI Joe as a whole has lost it's steam. The vintage stuff still sells well and still has a great following but there's nothing out there capturing the interest of new fans. With the God-Awful movies, they've done a good job of keeping the line from going any further. Hasbro isn't even supporting the brand much any more.

If SSC doesn't keep the license, I wonder if someone like GGLTD would pick it up and do what the did with the large versions of the vintage Star Wars action figures.

GI Joe as a whole has lost it's steam. The vintage stuff still sells well and still has a great following but there's nothing out there capturing the interest of new fans. With the God-Awful movies, they've done a good job of keeping the line from going any further. Hasbro isn't even supporting the brand much any more.

If SSC doesn't keep the license, I wonder if someone like GGLTD would pick it up and do what the did with the large versions of the vintage Star Wars action figures.

I had actually heard something about Gentle Giant doing jumbo sized versions of the original 3 3/4" ARAH figures so I would not be a bit surprised to see these happen. At least they would give us a 12" Destro with a chromed head. :rolleyes2

well if they do i hope they update the female heads because gental giants doing 83 scarlett yikes it could crack a mirror not to mention dog head covergirl. Im not exactly fond of the star wars 1/6. if they do make them maybe make them closer to the card art.

Last edited:
I had actually heard something about Gentle Giant doing jumbo sized versions of the original 3 3/4" ARAH figures so I would not be a bit surprised to see these happen. At least they would give us a 12" Destro with a chromed head. :rolleyes2

yeah,might hear something at SDCC...definitely getting some

Genital giants?

Um, no.

He typed 'gental.'

He meant 'gentle.'

It doesn't require an MBA in English. If you interpreted it as 'genital,' you should probably talk to someone.

That said, I'd be ALL OVER a Storm Shadow release!

Back