1/6 Sideshow GI Joe line on Hiatus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Sideshow Alex for putting up with some of the rediculous comments on this forum, and still providing feedback and updates.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the original '82-'85 ARAH line. It was a staple of my childhood. So if I had the choice between card-art-accurate vs. interpretation, I would have chosen card-art for sure. But that said...
At no point did Sideshow ever suggest they were making card-art accurate figures. Right from the begnining it was to be a modernized interpretation. After several years now, I can't believe people are still complaining about this, and were complaining about it with every figure launch. I, for one, accepted it was an interpreted line right from the beginning, and in my humble opinion, they look great together. Even Destro. A perfect example is Lord Piper's pic of his Cobra display (Destro Thread, page 154). Full respect to the "Customizers" on this site. I've seen some tremendous work on these threads. But that said, (from what I've seen) most of the custom Joes/Cobras are also interpretations. I've seen very few exact cart-art accurate attempts, and for the most part, the ones I've seen didn't look better than the Sideshow figures. Again, it's all about personal tastes. The folks who hate this "interpretation" line are not the majority; if they were, there wouldn't have been enough sales for the line to have continued as long as it has.
As far as price is concerned, I (again, in the minority) think the line was relatively fair-priced. I have several Hot Toys as well, and most of them come with almost nothing. Sure the quality of the bodies are excellent, and the paintwork and detail are excellent as well. But the HT figures I bought were all $200+ (I'm in Canada), before shipping & taxes. The Sideshow figures were less expensive (although not by much, by the end), but what they lacked in detail/quality, they made up for in accessories and display options.
Due to the recent launch of the new female body, I was certain they would launch Scarlett, so I am dissappointed that they are moving away from the line. Well, some of you still have the DC line to complain about...

As far as the female bodies are concerned. they need to re-evaluate the body since the baroness has a split shoulder near arm. and people are reporting shattered hips on catwoman. they should make sure the plastic is durable before putting on the rubber flesh and they should have sprayed a matte sealer so it doesn't get stained. but that is overseas manurfacturing for you they dont wash fabric before putting it on the body which is a tailor/seamstress 101 no no.

where the screws are the pelvic,hip and shoulder is very fragile maybe add a layer of thin foam rubber over screws to protect them(which will mean no custom swaps)

Hasbro should just hand over G.I.Joe to someone who can handle the licensing since they haven't done G.I.Joe justice since the late 80's. If they truely are abandoning it they should sell it to sideshow very cheep this will prompt sideshow to make more Joe stuff. since Hasbro did get a cut of what is made just like Lucas and Hasbro for SW. If Hasbro is bailing on G.I.Joe just hand it to sideshow. since HT did the movie flops.

I still think there not done with g.i.joe just consumed with probably designing the C3PO and some of the stuff in the coming soon once there done then I think they will surprise the naysayers

I'm talking to someone from sideshow and they are not done with G.i.Joe they are just not going to show anything because there not finished. they haven't started a proto yet. I told you guys your all jumping in the wrong direction. They don't know when the lineup will be finished because it takes time and that is all you need to know at the moment. just to stay tuned and watch newsletters.

and not to take what one employee said as factual because they may not be in the same dept of research and development, just because it wont be at comicon doesn't mean it's dead. and idol gossip is all this so called hiatus really is. endquote

Alex even said he isn't in that dept he just new there wasn't anything going to comicon for this year. he is only speculating that 2015 is maybe because like he said he isn't in that dept. I swear some of the people here cackle like old hens before the eggs have time to hatch.

Last edited:
I'm talking to someone from sideshow and they are not done with G.i.Joe they are just not going to show anything because there not finished. they haven't started a proto yet. I told you guys your all jumping in the wrong direction. They don't know when the lineup will be finished because it takes time and that is all you need to know at the moment. just to stay tuned and watch newsletters.

and not to take what one employee said as factual because they may not be in the same dept of research and development, just because it wont be at comicon doesn't mean it's dead. and idol gossip is all this so called hiatus really is. endquote

Alex even said he isn't in that dept he just new there wasn't anything going to comicon for this year. he is only speculating that 2015 is maybe because like he said he isn't in that dept. I swear some of the people here cackle like old hens before the eggs have time to hatch.

Exactly...
Oh, and Alex is a she....

I will believe it when I see it. There hasn't been a preorder since Disastro last year and it already shipped. Bischoff said over a year ago they were developing Snow Job and Scarlett and still nada. We all know Sideshow's MO of abandoning licenses. It's been almost a decade for Friday the 13th and they will revisit it next year. It was bad enough waiting months for each PO for the Joe line with so many characters still to do. A "hiatus" only worsens interest. When? It will be many years before they decide to dust it off and "revisit" the license with statues and busts and overpriced crap I'm not interested in. Joe is KIA.

Believe what you want to believe i got that from the horses mouth. and there not on a hiatus there just taking more time on each one. and not releasing info or pics until the line up is done.

there not doing what they use to do and say years in advance before something is made for P.O hence the surprise R2d2 expect more sneek peek surprise releases like that.

I'm talking to someone from sideshow and they are not done with G.i.Joe they are just not going to show anything because there not finished. they haven't started a proto yet. I told you guys your all jumping in the wrong direction. They don't know when the lineup will be finished because it takes time and that is all you need to know at the moment. just to stay tuned and watch newsletters. .
Be nice if it happens, but we have heard these kinds of things from SSC in the past with nada. Still waiting on that brown 1/4 scale Wolverine that was supposedly coming 4 years ago or whatever.

They also said they were working on a 1/6 Temple of Doom Short Round and Mine Cart Diorama...they tend to say a lot of things except "the line is done". The collectors that have been through this song and dance time and time again are skeptical of any "reassuring" news that comes from Sideshow directly, let alone second hand.

which is why sideshow is not showing proto's or hinting anymore until there is something tangible done. so no more long range sneaks just moments before release. what is at comicon right now is coming out latter this year and early next year. the stuff for summer,fall and winter for 2015 we all have to wait until they post just before release

so literally what does show up in a post for coming soon will be just months before it's PO.

could be good news....

I will believe it when I see it. There hasn't been a preorder since Disastro last year and it already shipped. Bischoff said over a year ago they were developing Snow Job and Scarlett and still nada. We all know Sideshow's MO of abandoning licenses. It's been almost a decade for Friday the 13th and they will revisit it next year. It was bad enough waiting months for each PO for the Joe line with so many characters still to do. A "hiatus" only worsens interest. When? It will be many years before they decide to dust it off and "revisit" the license with statues and busts and overpriced crap I'm not interested in. Joe is KIA.

can't help but to agree with this

They also said they were working on a 1/6 Temple of Doom Short Round and Mine Cart Diorama...they tend to say a lot of things except "the line is done". The collectors that have been through this song and dance time and time again are skeptical of any "reassuring" news that comes from Sideshow directly, let alone second hand.

Yep,any Sideshow rep can say anything and that Rep that said anything may not be working for Sideshow in the next 6 months

which is why sideshow is not showing proto's or hinting anymore until there is something tangible done. so no more long range sneaks just moments before release. what is at comicon right now is coming out latter this year and early next year. the stuff for summer,fall and winter for 2015 we all have to wait until they post just before release

so literally what does show up in a post for coming soon will be just months before it's PO.

SDCC is their biggest event of the year...to have nothing GI JOE to Show for is a BIG FAIL!! Nothing like taking away the momentum of the line.

I am still in for these,but I'll believe it when I see it now...bit tired of hearing about possibilities and just getting the hopes up like getting Snowjob,Gung-ho,Spirit,Scarlet,Crimson Guards etc,and Sideshow not delivering

Believe what you want to believe i got that from the horses mouth. and there not on a hiatus there just taking more time on each one. and not releasing info or pics until the line up is done.

there not doing what they use to do and say years in advance before something is made for P.O hence the surprise R2d2 expect more sneek peek surprise releases like that.

Uh huh, right. I remember an old Q&A from about 3 years ago where Sideshow said they were not done with Indiana Jones and would be revisiting it with Temple of Doom including a Mine Car environment which implied the possibility of a Short Round figure. 3 years later and I'm STILL waiting. Nope. Not happening. You can't take Sideshow at their word for anything. You really have to wonder what kind of knuckleheads they have running that company.

i think the mixed results on the figures released maybe why they want to take longer on the line ups for figures. again i am only speculating but they do occasionally look at these forums to collect feedback.

I Will say this. Sideshow of today is MOST DEFINITELY NOT Sideshow of old. what tehy said and or did in the past dosn't really mean much these days. I'll wait and see, but maintina a little healthy skepticisim.

That totally sucks. I really feel for you guys. The Joe line is one I had mixed feelings about never picking it up. On the one hand, I would have loved to collect the figures. The 3 3/4" figures were a huge part of my life growing up, second only to Star Wars. I had the full first line (before the bicep swivel), most of the earlier vehicles (before they got obscenely huge), and then just a big variety of the succeeding lines. I collected the comics, and like everyone else was blown away by the Silent Interlude issue. I still have most of my Joes at my mother's house. The only reason I never started buying the line was the lack of funds. I had to be selective about what I collected and I chose SW and Indy over the Joes. On the other hand, I'm glad I never started up because despite the line ending prematurely, there were still tons of figures produced. There is no way I would have room for all of them.

For the most part, I liked Sideshow's interpretations. Heck, I even like what they did with Destro! But it really does sound like the line is done. It's LOTR and Indy all over again. They claim that they're not done with the license, but what it really means is that they're done with the 1/6 line but will continue doing dioramas and statues and 1/4 scale and props. Basically everything BUT 1/6. So technically, yeah, they're still doing Joe stuff. Just not 1/6.

ACHMED THE DEAD TERRORIST says . . .

"The GI JOE line is not dead! Silence or I'll kill you!"

ahmed.jpg

Stepping back for a second, and considering all that SSC gave us, despite the disappointment over this announcement I don't know that the analogy to LOTR or Indiana Jones goes too far. This line produced a lot of figures--most of the major players in a line that had a lot of them--and lasted, what, 6 years? Yeah, no Scarlett or Lady Jaye kind of sucks, and it's too bad we never got a card accurate Destro or Firefly, but I think those of us who were into them were party to a nice little run. Surely, no one who is a fan of ninjas can come away disappointed :lol

Back