Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gran trabajo, urutora! Those pics are awesome.

you guys are far more wise than I am as far as giving any opinion on a figure.
In my case, I have a "not so small" collection, of 3 Hot Toys figures, 2 Sideshow, 1 Sideshow-Chogokin, and one Medi-Sideshow-Hot Toys kitbash, Jedi Luke.

So, taking that in to account, I will give my opinion: I can understand both lovers and haters, and also agree with Tom Day's point of view.

Summing it up to 3 pros and cons:

Pros:

- The figure looks great, it may not be 100% size, but its a great R2 no doubt, the closest there is out there.
- The lights effects are very cool and are easily activated.
- It comes with lots of accessories and posing possibilities! which is great for this droid, yes.

Cons:

- The figure feels too light, so much that if it falls to the ground from your shelves once, you may be in big trouble. The figure stands perfectly though.
- The seams in the dome are the biggest issue for me.
- The lights change too fast, and that also bothers me a bit.

I am not bothered by the doors opening too easily, you can use glue to stop that from happening, and I've seen it worse, like the DX07's ankles.

If this figure had a Diecast dome, it would be close to perfect. No seams, and better looking, easier to weather and customize...

Diecast dome, might have meant a retail price of 200+ USD.
Was that worth it?
Don't know, I have to admit that for me the price, 132 EUR shipped, was an important factor.

Do I recommend getting this droid? Yes.

PS: I was lucky to have only minor quality control issues, that might have changed my opinion...

Plastic is just as good as a diecast dome, IMO - you'd be trading seams on plastic for seams on metal otherwise. The ideal dome would be stamped or spun out of sheet metal - seamless and all the holes drilled and laser or water jet cut as appropriate.

gran trabajo, urutora! Those pics are awesome.

you guys are far more wise than I am as far as giving any opinion on a figure.
In my case, I have a "not so small" collection, of 3 Hot Toys figures, 2 Sideshow, 1 Sideshow-Chogokin, and one Medi-Sideshow-Hot Toys kitbash, Jedi Luke.

So, taking that in to account, I will give my opinion: I can understand both lovers and haters, and also agree with Tom Day's point of view.

Summing it up to 3 pros and cons:

Pros:

- The figure looks great, it may not be 100% size, but its a great R2 no doubt, the closest there is out there.
- The lights effects are very cool and are easily activated.
- It comes with lots of accessories and posing possibilities! which is great for this droid, yes.

Cons:

- The figure feels too light, so much that if it falls to the ground from your shelves once, you may be in big trouble. The figure stands perfectly though.
- The seams in the dome are the biggest issue for me.
- The lights change too fast, and that also bothers me a bit.

I am not bothered by the doors opening too easily, you can use glue to stop that from happening, and I've seen it worse, like the DX07's ankles.

If this figure had a Diecast dome, it would be close to perfect. No seams, and better looking, easier to weather and customize...

Diecast dome, might have meant a retail price of 200+ USD.
Was that worth it?
Don't know, I have to admit that for me the price, 132 EUR shipped, was an important factor.

Do I recommend getting this droid? Yes.

PS: I was lucky to have only minor quality control issues, that might have changed my opinion...

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement but to me the only really glaring/significant issue is the size. IN putting R2 with my other 1/6 figures and seeing it for a few weeks, he does look a little small. It's only by maybe by 10%, but to me at least it's noticeable. However, I still haven't done the "lifts" mod (putting something under the feet to raise him up 1/8") - hopefully that will give just enough that you don't notice when taking in the overall display.

night lightshow with Tamashii 3PO.

View attachment 174484

View attachment 174485

View attachment 174486

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

R2 is too small. But guessing percentages based on looking at a photo is never going to get you in the ballpark, especially when the only point of reference is another figure we don't know is the correct size. ;) It's super-doubtful Tama's 3PO is precisely the correct scale, IMO.

R2 is too small. But guessing percentages based on looking at a photo is never going to get you in the ballpark, especially when the only point of reference is another figure we don't know is the correct size. ;) It's super-doubtful Tama's 3PO is precisely the correct scale, IMO.

R2's height does vary in the movies, and there's a picture I was looking at the other day (Jawa zapping R2 outside sandcrawler) where you can see tread lifts under his feet are an extra maybe 2" in height. Sometimes there are (quite large) wheels under there in certain scenes, other times nothing at all.

The SSC R2 IS too small - next to a wide variety of figures, not just Tama 3PO - but a 1/8" lift under each foot would bring it up to the point it's not that noticeable at all.

And 3PO is taller than Luke, so 3PO is taller than most people remember. What's your reasoning for the "super doubtful" ruling on Tama scale?

What's your reasoning for the "super doubtful" ruling on Tama scale?

The fact that almost every single part of the figure has something wrong with it and the fact that no company producing 1/6 really scales anything to precisely 1/6.

Well I got mine, I am going to eat humble pie and say yes, the quality is poorer than I expected. I would say it needs to be cheaper to offet it. It is a little flimsy and too delicate. Don't want to touch any of the top panels for fear of scratching paint or something. Whilst it is not flimsy enough that somehow it'll explode in my hands but flimsy enough that I fear I will open the panels by mistake.

However from distance (and where 99% I will view it) it is fine. That is the whole purpose. So i don't know, maybe $20 - $50 cheaper than the price advertised will make it worth it?

I decided to pick up a Tamashii C3PO to balance out how underwhelmed I was. Won't be getting the SSC C3PO.

Hey Pixelpiper, you come up with a Battzero for this little Artoo unit yet?

I'm petty sure I've come up with something that will work for most products using that kind of battery arrangement, but I still need to get the figure to test it out. Each product has its own unique quirks and R2's spinning dome is pretty significant, so I want to make sure it'll work out.

bought r2d2 seem ok with me... its light since well its plastic.... its flimsy well its plastic...
but yeah if you drop it i can see this figure will be broken easily .
will decide later if i going to buy C3PO or not after see the inhand production.... i dont have confidence to PO 1/6 SSC anymore since Green lantern prototype and how SSC handle the GL situation..

Hey Tali - you can prop SSC R2 up a little, but it still lacks.. girth. :lol

It's not 100% but it helps - I've done a try-out of it and it at least takes away the slightly shorty thing.

This was the one issue I was talking about for months before this shipped (remember all those early SDCC side-by-side pics?) - saying that the width of the "shoulders" to 3PO's was a mismatch - but it turned out to be neither spot-on nor "tiny" as I had feared. It's kinda fine. People got by with the Medi, right?:lol

The Medi R2 is a nice little figure, so pity about the scale.

I don't know. I like lurking here & checking out the pics, but the SSC figure is disappointing as far I'm concerned. All the 'flimsy / cheap feeling / plastic-y' posts I've read just confirm what I've been curious about. This ain't the droid I'm looking for.

Back