Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rory you're spot on about a lot of figures but I don't get your venom towards R2-D2.

On one hand you love HT Indiana Jones and the other you hate this figure.

I hate HT Indiana Jones! Where did you get the idea I loved it?
:lol

I think this R2 *looks* great, but I'm sorry the manufacturing on it is very very poor. It feels like a flimsy piece of junk. A lot of people felt the same about the Probe Droid, which I was very happy with.

So now the medi is better.....please Rory, you're embarrassing yourself :rotfl

Listen Marker I get it, you will post venomous replies to every post I make in every thread. I understand. :rotfl You have an issue of some kind with me. Give it a break, it doesn't bother me at all, it's just dull. And you are embarrassing yourself.

Now.. when did I say the Medi is better than this? I didn't, I said the construction build of the MEDI, that's the manufacturing of the product, not the sculpt is far superior than the SSC. If you say otherwise you are either trolling or have never seen the MEDI in hand. It is horribly undersized, inaccurate but beautifully made. It's heavy, solid and has extremely sharp paint work. And no molding seams on the dome. The SSC is the most accurate R2 we have seen yet, but horribly made. IMO.

Last edited:
So what do you think accounts for some still having seams and others appearing to be sanded down? Luck of the draw or are they spending time trying to reduce the seam and some are coming out better than others? My R2 has no seems on the front but a visible one on the back, which doesn't bother me due to the location--on the front it would. But we've all seen pretty visible ones on the front as well.

Just got another R2 locally as a present for my dad, which i will give him in a few weeks. Thought i would still open it to check that everything is where it should be.

My one i got directly from ssc, and the seams appear to have some blending done to them, at least to the front ones anyway. On this new regular version R2, the seams are much more noticeable, and even feel slightly raised compared to the rest of the dome.
Would this possibly mean, that more effort was taken on the exclusives as far as the overall finish, or is it really just luck of the draw with a mass produced figure, who knows?

Just got another R2 locally as a present for my dad, which i will give him in a few weeks. Thought i would still open it to check that everything is where it should be.

My one i got directly from ssc, and the seams appear to have some blending done to them, at least to the front ones anyway. On this new regular version R2, the seams are much more noticeable, and even feel slightly raised compared to the rest of the dome.
Would this possibly mean, that more effort was taken on the exclusives as far as the overall finish, or is it really just luck of the draw with a mass produced figure, who knows?

See Anthrapoid's post a few posts back re: injection molding and tolerancing. The exclusives aren't a special batch, they just come with three extra accessories.

I think this R2 *looks* great, but I'm sorry the manufacturing on it is very very poor. It feels like a flimsy piece of junk. A lot of people felt the same about the Probe Droid, which I was very happy with.

Listen Marker I get it, you will post venomous replies to every post I make in every thread. I understand. :rotfl You have an issue of some kind with me. Give it a break, it doesn't bother me at all, it's just dull. And you are embarrassing yourself.

Now.. when did I say the Medi is better than this? I didn't, I said the construction build of the MEDI, that's the manufacturing of the product, not the sculpt is far superior than the SSC. If you say otherwise you are either trolling or have never seen the MEDI in hand. It is horribly undersized, inaccurate but beautifully made. It's heavy, solid and has extremely sharp paint work. And no molding seams on the dome. The SSC is the most accurate R2 we have seen yet, but horribly made. IMO.

true!!!

I wouldn't say "horribly made," since there's still some really nice engineering that went into the piece, and a lot of great detail work in the sculpt. The problem is just that the production process wasn't quite as consistent as it should be, and the materials used could have been a bit more high-quality.

But that being said, for $150 I still think we're getting a pretty great looking figure.

I wouldn't say "horribly made," since there's still some really nice engineering that went into the piece, and a lot of great detail work in the sculpt. The problem is just that the production process wasn't quite as consistent as it should be, and the materials used could have been a bit more high-quality.

But that being said, for $150 I still think we're getting a pretty great looking figure.

Completely agree that it's a great looking figure. Standing next to Tamashii 3PO it looks fantastic especially with some of the paint mods that have been posted by members here.
Just don't pick it up! My faults lie squarely with production (as do most problems with SS products). The item that left Sideshow to go to the factory was top notch.

+1 The floor in the saber compartment fell off when I put the saber in... They sent a new head, which had more general issues (the circle drink door wouldn't sit flat the 2 pop up radar/dishes were more loose, doors closed less seemlessly. Sadly I had a crack in the black liner of the projector on my old head so I just couldn't fix it.

I gave up and just resigned to the fact this figure is just as futsy as every other except without any mix media!

Completely agree that it's a great looking figure. Standing next to Tamashii 3PO it looks fantastic especially with some of the paint mods that have been posted by members here.
Just don't pick it up! My faults lie squarely with production (as do most problems with SS products). The item that left Sideshow to go to the factory was top notch.

It's why I like the Tama 3PO figure so much - it is designed (and made) to be handled. I posted in that thread that much of the pleasure of having that figure is in how nice it is to 'play with'. I can't appreciate the so-called engineering that went into all of this R2's openy-shutty things when they are so awful to open and shut.

It's why I like the Tama 3PO figure so much - it is designed (and made) to be handled. I posted in that thread that much of the pleasure of having that figure is in how nice it is to 'play with'. I can't appreciate the so-called engineering that went into all of this R2's openy-shutty things when they are so awful to open and shut.
:lecture:hi5:

Send them the images I circled.

How did you pay for this? Credit Card? PayPal? Call the payment processor and complain the vendor is giving you a hard time with a warranty concern if they won't budge after seeing the circled images.

Well either your pic got their attention or it was escalated. I was contacted by another rep and I am getting a replacement dome. Going to take 3-5 weeks. I can deal with the marks on the ring. They could actually pass for weathering or battle damage. The blob and sloppy paint were just eyesores.

Glad they're working with you toward a resolution. They're a stand-up company and need to make sure customers don't fall through the cracks.

I disagree with it "feeling" like junk. Mine is solidly built and as I said earlier, he's much more robust than folks are saying he is. With that said, he's more of an already put together model and these aren't made to be thrown around a room as a play toy. As is nothing in this high end collectible hobby to be honest. That's not their purpose. But that was exactly what I was expecting. They are meant to be posed and put on display. Then reposed and put back on display. This R2-D2 figure hits those checkboxes so I don't know why people would feel the need for more. It's not like it's going to crumble in your hands while posing him. And if he does, well then maybe you ham-handed guys are in the wrong hobby :lol

And I have nothing personal against you Rory, I used to agree with a lot of your posts and general perception of the industry. But lately, it's like you visit threads of Sideshow figures you seem to truly hate and WANT to hate just to post your opinion harping on the negatives over and over like you're trying to get the masses to agree with you. It's just unnecessary and overly heavy handed. Yet, you'll say the SW Hot Toys figs are great even though the sculpts aren't really there. For some reason, you give them a pass just because they are more detailed while you lambast the Sideshow figures mistakes rather than admittedly acknowledge a lot of their positives.

I guess negative people just get to me and that's one thing that seems to have become pervasive on these boards.

Well the 3PO is twice the cost, so I would kinda hope it would be sturdier and better-engineered.

I would hope so. And no matter how well made the Tamashi 3PO is, I'd rather have the Sideshow R2 over it any day as weathered is how I prefer my droids.

I disagree with it "feeling" like junk. Mine is solidly built and as I said earlier, he's much more robust than folks are saying he is. With that said, he's more of an already put together model and these aren't made to be thrown around a room as a play toy. As is nothing in this high end collectible hobby to be honest. That's not their purpose. But that was exactly what I was expecting. They are meant to be posed and put on display. Then reposed and put back on display. This R2-D2 figure hits those checkboxes so I don't know why people would feel the need for more. It's not like it's going to crumble in your hands while posing him. And if he does, well then maybe you ham-handed guys are in the wrong hobby :lol

And I have nothing personal against you Rory, I used to agree with a lot of your posts and general perception of the industry. But lately, it's like you visit threads of Sideshow figures you seem to truly hate and WANT to hate just to post your opinion harping on the negatives over and over like you're trying to get the masses to agree with you. It's just unnecessary and overly heavy handed. Yet, you'll say the SW Hot Toys figs are great even though the sculpts aren't really there. For some reason, you give them a pass just because they are more detailed while you lambast the Sideshow figures mistakes rather than admittedly acknowledge a lot of their positives.

I guess negative people just get to me and that's one thing that seems to have become pervasive on these boards.

I would hope so. And no matter how well made the Tamashi 3PO is, I'd rather have the Sideshow R2 over it any day as weathered is how I prefer my droids.

100% agree with you. I only just started collecting and i am amazed at the perfection people demand. Just amazing...even the actual real props in those movies probably had issues. None of my mates or family go up to my small collection, look closely and go "oh, look that seam there etc etc". They all say the same thing, they look fantastic.

I can't wait to get my R2 and give an honest opinion of the toy. I would say quality will have to go with the price you pay. If it looks like a finished model kit, 160 bucks is way too much. Sadly, Tamashi won't release an R2 that goes with 3PO. It would've cost just a few more bucks but with the quality of a piece or jewelry.

Last edited:
From your Sig. :slap

And from your Show Your Shelves thread, where you own at least two of them:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-rorys-cave-v2-0-customs-mods-collection.html

BTW I want your sandperson.

Well, I love Indy, and want a good one. The overall HT Jones set was great, fantastic accessories. But the head? One of their worst IMO. The amount of work that I had to put into HT's version to make it presentable (to me anyway) was not directly related to my love of the figure. And I'm still looking for a better head sculpt.

And you can't have my Sandperson.

Have you visited: The Hot Toys Storm Trooper thread? the Shadow Trooper? Star Lord? Wolverine? Robocop? Obi-Wan? Terminator T800 etc etc...?
Probe Droid? Even Tauntaun & Sleepy Hollow?
If you had you would have seen my positive and at times glowing reactions to figures which I believe are good/great/excellent.

No. You wait until I express my opinion on what I perceive as a disappointing release, then jump in with some juvenile barb. Like you did above when I mentioned the superior manufacturing on the MEDI R2.

Seems to me like your the one with negative toy fatigue Marker. You should feel confident in your own opinions and not feel the need to get defensive when someone disagrees with your own view. I personally believe the latest Sideshow releases (Drake, Snake, Solo, Luke, R2) are sub standard. That's my objective view, and it's an informed one, since I have all of them except Snake in hand. You are completely entitled to your opinion, I have never knocked anyone for expressing their own views, even when polar opposite to mine. I am entitled to my opinion also and I would appreciate you drop the passive aggressive bites everytime I post. Just hit the ignore button if you don't want to hear another collectors (my) opposing view of a figure, personally that's what I thought an open discussion forum for collectors like this was all about. But you seem upset about what you perceive to be negative comments about toys you like. May I respectfully suggest that an open forum like this may not be the most suitable environment for someone who does not wish to hear others opinions, be it good or bad?

Well, I love Indy, and want a good one. The overall HT Jones set was great, fantastic accessories. But the head? One of their worst IMO. The amount of work that I had to put into HT's version to make it presentable (to me anyway) was not directly related to my love of the figure. And I'm still looking for a better head sculpt.

And you can't have my Sandperson.

Your HT TOD Indy is the best that sculpt has ever looked. A TOD rework looks good on that head - the grime, blood and gloss/sweat really brings it to life. BBl's also looks really good. Your ROTLA also looks super nice - the gloss, the pastel flushing and the sideways glance do that sculpt a huge, huge favor.

Back