Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that mate... I hope you can sort that out with SSC soon.
What is their response on that?

Had to wait for SSC to open up (I'm in UK), but I just spoke to someone who's going to find out what's going on, so I'll keep you posted...

Got a feeling they may have old stock they're offloading on to us international buyers... Not cool... :nono

Hopefully that'll get sorted from that call and a new one will be sent out. You never know... they may just ask you to bin the one you've received.

I asked SSC too. And this response just came in:

Thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Please be advised that there is only a very small difference between the newer version and the previous deluxe R2. The updated application is pretty much the same, just a little darker and a little more weathered. Anything currently shipping is the new version.

Please do not hesitate to reach out should you need any further assistance.
Best Regards

I can't believe HT tackled Chewbacca right out of the gate but, 4 years later, still hasn't given us the two droids from Star Wars (ANH) yet.

TFA R2 doesn't count and did TFA Threepio ever get released?

Even if they're saying 'there's not much difference' between these two paint jobs it's pretty clear they're night and day. Maybe they just don't want to say the older one was clearly inferior.

I can't believe HT tackled Chewbacca right out of the gate but, 4 years later, still hasn't given us the two droids from Star Wars (ANH) yet.

TFA R2 doesn't count and did TFA Threepio ever get released?

Both TFA R2 and 3PO are featured on this year's Hot Toys book but "Red arm" 3PO has yet to get a PO.

This double-dip must mean HT wants to preview theirs soon before end of year.

What are the actual chances of something like that happening? Do you think SSC know of an impending HT release hence the repaint? Jedi Luke cross-release as well as the ESB/AOTC Yoda simultaneous releases do seem confusing with regards to timing.

Off topic, but....

For anyone that was interested in the Sphero R2-D2, Best Buy has it in stock for $39.99 with free shipping.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sphero-r2-d2-app-enabled-droid/5863603.p?skuId=5863603

That little guy was originally $180. For $40 I couldn't pass it up. And for those that don't have a 1/6 R2, he comes close. Some members have posted on the forums pics of it with their 1/6 SW figures, and comparisons with other R2's.

After first sending me original old stock...
Then sending me new stock but completely broken and faulty...
Finally, 3 weeks later, my version 2 has arrived!!:yess:

And yes, it's night and day between the two... Massive improvement!!
Updated HT-style artbox with slipcard too!!

Kudos to Ozzel and his eagle-eyes for the heads-up on this :duff

V1 left - V2 right:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Better shade of blue too. Really nice.

Wish they'd gotten it right the first time around.

:slap

Damn, that actually looks amazing now, and even more impressive than the HT versions. Might have to consider picking this up at some point (and hope I don't have to go through the same hassle you did).

Thanks for the great comparison pics of the two. The new one definitely has much better paint apps between the weathering and the deeper blue.

Time to order the new one, then send back the old one? :monkey3

:lol

But seriously, I'd be mad at how much nicer the new v2 is if we didn't see HT was finally doing a proper R2. I'll either sell him off, or I'll keep him and display him with his drinking tray and display him with my SS v1 Jabba & throne. That is at least one day when I finally display him. Never had room to open him. It'll be a sad display of older SS figures. :(

Back