Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will never forget when I first saw that movie in the theater. When the boss among the monks told the girl "Let him ask!". What Eddie Murphy pulled there with that cylinder... It sure is his best moment on film...!!!!

Hey thanks for the data Numpsie!
SSC is the way to go, then.
I'll have a dirty pair (SSC) for Tattoine, and a clean pair (Tamashii) for Endor.
:)

Regards,
m.

Hilarious!
The only problem, with the HT R2, is the lighting. Both the SS and the HT have light up features, whereby you touch the button once, and a certain group of lights come on, and then you touch it again, and the rest of them come on.
On the SS, when you first touch the button, most of the dome lights come on, then you hit the button again, and the projector light also illuminates.
On the HT, when you first touch the button, only the projector light comes on, then you hit the button again, and the rest of them illuminate. In other words, the projector lights are ALWAYS on if you use the light feature on the HT version.

Theoretically, the SS is more accurate in that regard, as R2 is seen mostly with everything on except the projector, and he only uses the projector in certain situations.

But that said, some people never use the lights. In which case, the HT is a little better scale, a little better detail, metal dome, and different wearing.

But the HT is also almost $100 more than the SS one, and it is also based on the The Force Awakens design....

Everyone has their own opinions, and I think most people seem to like the HT one more. After having both on the shelf for a short time, I decided the Hot Toys one didn't have enough to justify the cost of upgrade for me, and all of my Star Wars collection is based on the Original Trilogy, so the SS R2 was a better fit. Also, I have the SS Threepio, and they have a similar wear (like they were out in the Desert)...

Considering TFA Artoo was built by the members of the Astromech Builders Club I didn't think there would be many changes from OT R2

Threepio on the other hand....

So, I used a $35 off code that I got via email today to preorder from this guy from Sideshow. $140 which includes tax and shipping. I’ll take it. Hoping that the blue dome panels have slightly improved paint apps this go around but I’m good either way. I’ve always wanted one but ended up moving on something else.

This thread certainly helped finalize my decision. Thanks all.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread with a double post but I was comparing the promo shots from the original release and the one that is currently up for preorder.

The one on top is what is currently shown on the Sideshow website and the bottom image is from the original release. It looks like paint app improvements were made. It looks far superior to the original, if these translate to the new wave of figures. What do you all think?

e1bee650651e84cf01662af50137985a.jpg

That does look better. SS has done that crap before. Re-release a figure with some improvements.

Interesting! Post some pics of the one you receive

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread with a double post but I was comparing the promo shots from the original release and the one that is currently up for preorder.

The one on top is what is currently shown on the Sideshow website and the bottom image is from the original release. It looks like paint app improvements were made. It looks far superior to the original, if these translate to the new wave of figures. What do you all think?

e1bee650651e84cf01662af50137985a.jpg

Be nice if the paint is improved and not just a prototype versus production piece. I have R2 and I really like him but picture puts what we all got to shame.

I could be swayed to take the SS R2 with a coupon if they can get the dome looking like the Sphero one with a genuine chrome-y look. I like the accessories.

I agree that the lighting is definitely different (improved) in the top image but the paint apps are also different as is the paint on Ben’s table and it’s fixtures. The blues on R2 are deeper and the dome appears more metallic. As mentioned above, weathering on the feet and body is different (improved in my opinion). Not sure this will make it to the figure when it’s rereleased but I’m hopeful. I can also admit that maybe I’m just projecting my hopes for the figure since I finally preordered it. I am looking forward to comparing each release later this summer. My buddy has the original Sideshow offering, I’ll post side by side pics. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Sean

Edit: just want to add that I received my notice from Sideshow that R2 will be shipping next week on the 6th.

I'm really interested to see if the new figure has improved paint apps as suggested by the image. I was at Covent Garden Forbidden Planet over the weekend and they had The HT above the SSC in their display and the HT looked much better especially the dome. Annoyingly the Tamashi was in the other side of the display. It looked great but those rivets just don't work for me. If SSC got the dome looking better and the weathering as per that image I'd go for that one all day.

9cc1bba3d937335e373133859e90c0c4.jpg

So... I decided to just ask Sideshow if the figure was improved and they confirmed that it has been reworked. I can’t wait. Jedi Luke tomorrow and finally, I’m adding an R2 to the collection.

9cc1bba3d937335e373133859e90c0c4.jpg

So... I decided to just ask Sideshow if the figure was improved and they confirmed that it has been reworked. I can’t wait. Jedi Luke tomorrow and finally, I’m adding an R2 to the collection.

Thanks, that's great news!
Also used the 35$ coupon and ordered :)

Hmmmm.... Wait for HT to do their eventual OT R2, or rebuy this new SS R2 v2 to replace my v1. At least I have the Ex for the 1st version with the extra tools. Can't wait to see final pics, and hopefully comparisons with the original and new one side by side v2.

Up next SS C-3PO with fixed thumbs. After saying the original was not a mistake but a production change to those awful thumbs..... SS bastards.... :mad: ... :lol

That's where SS could SHINE. Marketing affordable droids and iconic aliens. They'll never catch up to HT, but they can complement them at a more accessible rate. If R2 came in looking pretty good for ~$50 less than the HT one does, then that would be a real seller.

I guess I am late to the party, but could you please explain the thumb problem on the SSC 3PO?
You are talking about the OT, dirty SSC 3PO?

Regards,
m.

Hmmmm.... Wait for HT to do their eventual OT R2, or rebuy this new SS R2 v2 to replace my v1. At least I have the Ex for the 1st version with the extra tools. Can't wait to see final pics, and hopefully comparisons with the original and new one side by side v2.

Up next SS C-3PO with fixed thumbs. After saying the original was not a mistake but a production change to those awful thumbs..... SS bastards.... :mad: ... :lol

I guess I am late to the party, but could you please explain the thumb problem on the SSC 3PO?
You are talking about the OT, dirty SSC 3PO?

Regards,
m.

They basically gave him 5 fingers as opposed to the thumb being in the correct position. Like, where a thumb is actually supposed to be... :rotfl

Then told all that bought it it was not a mistake, but a production change. They even changed all the pics on their website..

C-3PO thumbs 2.jpg

Top is what we got, bottom is correct proto pic... :mad:

Other than that, great figure... At least for me it is. :)

Back