Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, everyone. With this up for preorder again, do we know if there are any improvements being made, dome paint etc.? Just curious before jumping in. Thanks!

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks buddy. Noted.
While we are at it, back in the day I considered grabbing HT's, but finally I went all the (crazy) way and picked Tamashii (I already own their 3po).
Did anybody compare SSC's with HT's? Anything in favor of HT's?
m.

The "arms" that pop out of the doors can cause the doors to not close flush. It usually has to do with the orientation of the arms when you put them back in. The doors WILL close flush, you just have to play around with it. Other than that, I'm a big fan of this figure. I don't think the Hot Toys one was worth the extra money...

Thanks for your contribution buddy.
Sad about what you say.
Are you sure you didn't force it somehow? It cracked just like that? Do you remember other people having the same problem?
m.
Mine had issues with the tubes/wires on his ankles. The socket cracked at where it connects to the "foot"

Mine had issues with the tubes/wires on his ankles. The socket cracked at where it connects to the "foot"

This has happened to one of the foot hoses/wires on mine too. It popped out & I had to glue it back in, but the little gray plastic coupling on the foot cracked in two places and I lost a tiny section of it. Other than that, no complaints.

I upgraded mine to the HT one, gonna give my SS one to my godson, he'll absolutely love it. He already has a couple of my hand-me-downs, and he has them proudly sitting on his shelf in his bedroom. He's always thrilled to bits to get a new (old) figure.

I upgraded mine to the HT one, gonna give my SS one to my godson, he'll absolutely love it. He already has a couple of my hand-me-downs, and he has them proudly sitting on his shelf in his bedroom. He's always thrilled to bits to get a new (old) figure.

That's such as nice thought. I can just imagine what it's like as a kid to get something as detailed as a decent 1/6 figure. The SSC R2 still looks decent so fair play to you for getting him in on the act so early. ;)

Hey thanks buddy. Noted.
While we are at it, back in the day I considered grabbing HT's, but finally I went all the (crazy) way and picked Tamashii (I already own their 3po).
Did anybody compare SSC's with HT's? Anything in favor of HT's?
m.

Generally, the HT is slightly more accurate scale-wise, and everyone loves the diecast dome. Also, the HT has a remote with sound effects. Personally, I would never use the sound effects, and HT made a mistake in the way the wired up the lights. The SS lighting is better. The HT is also heavier. There is a general consensus that the SS one is very light (weight) and therefore feels cheap. For me, that doesn't matter as they all sit on a shelf anyway. The HT does not have opening doors or compartments, and has no accessories. Also the HT is a "clean" sculpt, whereas the SS looks like it's been in the desert with Threepio.

I think it depends on your budget, and your posing/shelf plans, and your other figs. For me, I have the SS Threepio, and I like the weathered look since almost my entire Star Wars collection is from Episode IV. The seam on my dome is barely noticeable, and I do change up my poses and use the accessories every so often, so those things in addition to the better price, made me stick with the SS version.
If I had the Tamashii C3PO, or more figs from the prequels/sequels then maybe I might think different...

Yeah... The weathering on the SSC looks nice enough to me. I've seen people who have said that the die cast dome on the HT is let down by the coating that's on it... it takes away from the whole metallic look. Weight wise I agree with you... I don't need it to be heavy to look good on a shelf and I'd probably never use the accessories. The rivets on the Tamashi really take away from it for me... as much as there may have been some versions of the actual R2 costume that had them I can't get past them as it just doesn't look right to me.

Generally, the HT is slightly more accurate scale-wise, and everyone loves the diecast dome. Also, the HT has a remote with sound effects. Personally, I would never use the sound effects, and HT made a mistake in the way the wired up the lights. The SS lighting is better. The HT is also heavier. There is a general consensus that the SS one is very light (weight) and therefore feels cheap. For me, that doesn't matter as they all sit on a shelf anyway. The HT does not have opening doors or compartments, and has no accessories. Also the HT is a "clean" sculpt, whereas the SS looks like it's been in the desert with Threepio.

I think it depends on your budget, and your posing/shelf plans, and your other figs. For me, I have the SS Threepio, and I like the weathered look since almost my entire Star Wars collection is from Episode IV. The seam on my dome is barely noticeable, and I do change up my poses and use the accessories every so often, so those things in addition to the better price, made me stick with the SS version.
If I had the Tamashii C3PO, or more figs from the prequels/sequels then maybe I might think different...

Agreed.

Also, the Sideshow weathering is good out of the box but with some diluted rubbing alcohol, q-tips, paper towels or a sponge and a little patience you can easily make it look much much more grimy and realistic, if that's the look you want.

Ouch.... A bit worrysome, this issue... Will keep it in mind. Thanks man.
m.

This has happened to one of the foot hoses/wires on mine too. It popped out & I had to glue it back in, but the little gray plastic coupling on the foot cracked in two places and I lost a tiny section of it. Other than that, no complaints.

Wow!
Thank you for the tips, my dear sweet brother Numsie!!
OK. SSC is still the best release in my opinion, too.
Good to agree with others!
What was the actual problem with the HT R2, btw?
More tips/tricks/issues/fixes on the SSC R2?
I bought the Tamashii R2 just to try a different path. Thought that the rivets were truer. I checked and they weren't there, but it was too late. Where did those rivets come from, anyway??
Regards,
m.

Thanks bro.
Did you pull that on your unit?
Any pics? Any howto? ;-)
m.

Agreed.

Also, the Sideshow weathering is good out of the box but with some diluted rubbing alcohol, q-tips, paper towels or a sponge and a little patience you can easily make it look much much more grimy and realistic, if that's the look you want.

Thanks bro.
Did you pull that on your unit?
Any pics? Any howto? ;-)
m.

I did not do it on my own. It’s still in storage.

70% rubbing alcohol seemed to be a good mix.

There’s lots of pic in this thread of people who have done it. I think Lopie and Kamandi had the best looking ones. Just search the thread for “alcohol” and look for their names.

Nice tip!
OK, I'll look into that!
Thanks!
m.
I did not do it on my own. It’s still in storage.

70% rubbing alcohol seemed to be a good mix.

There’s lots of pic in this thread of people who have done it. I think Lopie and Kamandi had the best looking ones. Just search the thread for “alcohol” and look for their names.

Wow!
Thank you for the tips, my dear sweet brother Numsie!!

What was the actual problem with the HT R2, btw?

Hilarious!
The only problem, with the HT R2, is the lighting. Both the SS and the HT have light up features, whereby you touch the button once, and a certain group of lights come on, and then you touch it again, and the rest of them come on.
On the SS, when you first touch the button, most of the dome lights come on, then you hit the button again, and the projector light also illuminates.
On the HT, when you first touch the button, only the projector light comes on, then you hit the button again, and the rest of them illuminate. In other words, the projector lights are ALWAYS on if you use the light feature on the HT version.

Theoretically, the SS is more accurate in that regard, as R2 is seen mostly with everything on except the projector, and he only uses the projector in certain situations.

But that said, some people never use the lights. In which case, the HT is a little better scale, a little better detail, metal dome, and different wearing.

But the HT is also almost $100 more than the SS one, and it is also based on the The Force Awakens design....

Everyone has their own opinions, and I think most people seem to like the HT one more. After having both on the shelf for a short time, I decided the Hot Toys one didn't have enough to justify the cost of upgrade for me, and all of my Star Wars collection is based on the Original Trilogy, so the SS R2 was a better fit. Also, I have the SS Threepio, and they have a similar wear (like they were out in the Desert)...

Was late to the party. But since I got Jedi Luke on PO, I also need R2D2 (and C3PO).
Do you guys think 150 € (condition "almost new") shipped is a good deal for deluxe?

I don't think that's too far off the mark, maybe a bit high as you can get him on the low end closer to $100... but with shipping and if it's international shipping that would of course make a difference.

Just make sure the lights work... it's got a cool touch feature, but I had on were the lights just stopped working despite not being damaged or the batteries corroding the contacts.

Haven't checked myself in a long time, but considering it is an "old" figure, 150€, "as new", shipped within Europe... seems like a dream to me!

Regards,
m.

Was late to the party. But since I got Jedi Luke on PO, I also need R2D2 (and C3PO).
Do you guys think 150 € (condition "almost new") shipped is a good deal for deluxe?

Back