Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still love the first version, but I still want this new one, too. The price tag is just too much right now, though (and my husband would have a stroke if I ordered it!).

An interesting by-product of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is that it does actually take some of the heat off the SW:SE and I can't imagine that it was by accident. The SE robbed Han of "shooting first" in his first film and it also provided a lame first reveal of the Falcon.

But if you watch Solo first then he does shoot first and the Falcon does get a sweet first reveal.

Well even if you accept that as the true first reveal, it still leaves Luke's first introduction to it feeling weird and anticlimactic in ANH. Especially with that music buildup pretending as if we hadn't already seen it a couple scenes before.

Anyway, that's just one more reason why I only ever watch the Harmy versions now.

Falcon introduction previously ruined in ROTS:

RKwWH.jpg

BTW, did Lando buy the Falcon looking like Han's future Falcon, then deck it out for "Solo" only to have Han put it back the way it originally was?

Well even if you accept that as the true first reveal, it still leaves Luke's first introduction to it feeling weird and anticlimactic in ANH. Especially with that music buildup pretending as if we hadn't already seen it a couple scenes before.

Oh of course, Solo doesn't make the SE's "good" or suddenly well thought out. I just find it interesting that it still nevertheless does perform a nice bit of damage control for those who do want to watch the SE's.

Anyway, that's just one more reason why I only ever watch the Harmy versions now.

Yep! :rock

just saw a pic of Jabba posted on FB collector group, have to say he looks impressive in hand...

Jabba wasn't in Phantom Menace. In fact when I turned on closed captioning during that scene it translated the two-headed announcer's introduction to "and now to signal the start of the race is a fat lard who once got his ass kicked by Jabba du Hutt! Alalalalalalalala!"

PT creates so many sads:

Darth not "Darth"

Fett not really the only "Fett"

Jabba not Jabba

Emperor is really Sidious, another "Darth"

Tarkin didn't create the Death Star

To mention just a few...

I decided to stop being lazy and just go ahead and finish my old Jabba repaint. Here's another before and after.

View attachment 440066

This is pretty damned amazing, sir! You work shows how truly great that old sculpt is....very cool, indeed!

Looking at the shot above of the new version shows how, while better, the new panit job is a bit of a swing in the heavy direction...you find a happy medium with your work!

PT creates so many sads:

Darth not "Darth"

Fett not really the only "Fett"

Jabba not Jabba

Emperor is really Sidious, another "Darth"

Tarkin didn't create the Death Star

To mention just a few...

The Force is an STD

Yoda wasn't really "the Jedi Master who instructed me"

Leia lied about her mom

Vader only hunted down the most defenseless and wussiest of all Jedi

etc.

Thanks, icruise. Why do you say that Sideshow repainting wouldn't be viable? The paint app they used for the new Jabba could've been applied to the old sculpt. Having the previous mold (without having to pay for a new sculpt), and simply painting new casts would likely mean that the price point could be much lower than a whole new Jabba. Doing a new sculpt could then be something SSC could do later down the line to double dip. Maybe I just don't understand the process enough to have an informed opinion, but I think they could sell quite a few old Jabbas as "Version 2" before asking people to plunk down close to a grand for a whole new figure and throne.

Aside from the fact that I can't think of any other time when Sideshow has done something like this, I think they would have trouble drumming up excitement for a "new" figure that was identical to their release from 12 years ago, but with improved paint. In fact, I can see a lot of people complaining about it, and saying that it's a cynical cash grab, etc.

Plus a lot of people think that Jabba is incomplete without his throne and wouldn't buy a standalone Jabba figure. So are they going to rerelease the entire throne set as well? Plus, given Sideshow's prices these days, one would assume that they would have to charge a lot more than they did originally -- somewhere on the order of $300 or more for just the figure seems likely, plus at least $300 or $400 for the throne environment, and at that point why not just go with this new version that has some cool new features they can brag about?

They have been doing a ridiculous amount of re-releases. It's cool to see them actually try to start over and improve on something they did from long ago. I suppose it's boring to keep complaining about the price, but as some other folks have also mentioned this seems about $200 too high. Just because aftermarket prices are $800 on the original doesn't make it reasonable to price it retail at that level. It looks good but feels like a rip off.

I'll be watching reviews closely...

Back