Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been so many no-brainers that both HT and SSC have *not* released and then random left field announcements of characters/pieces that they do make that I honestly have no idea what rhyme or reason there is to anything they do these days.

Neither do I. That's an awful lot of wishful projection, if you ask me.

Wishful how?:dunno I wouldn't want a HT Jabba because it would likely have rubber skin which would degrade over time, so I'm not trying to wish one into existence, and I'm anything but a HT fanboy.

The point is, there's just no denying that how this has played out is highly unusual for a Sideshow release, especially such a major high-priced one.

If they offered this new version of Jabba WITHOUT THE THRONE or Crumb and priced it around $300.......grumble, grumble. I'd go for it.

My guess is it'd be in the $400 range. i mean they have had single human figures that are close to $300.

There have been so many no-brainers that both HT and SSC have *not* released and then random left field announcements of characters/pieces that they do make that I honestly have no idea what rhyme or reason there is to anything they do these days.

It's true, but it's more significant that this is nearly $1000 - such a major release compared to a regular 1/6 figure.

Wishful how?:dunno I wouldn't want a HT Jabba because it would likely have rubber skin which would degrade over time, so I'm not trying to wish one into existence, and I'm anything but a HT fanboy.

The point is, there's just no denying that how this has played out is highly unusual for a Sideshow release.

I think of it as a way to cash in on all the HT updates to the OT figures. They've both been updating a lot of their main characters, why not update this one, as well. And with the old one going for ridiculous after-market prices, now is the perfect time to take some of the new collector market money away from eBay. I don't see this as unusual in light of all the newly updated Star Wars figures that have been coming out over the last couple of years. And now that they've started releasing ROTJ figures, perfect timing if you ask me.

Based on SS’s typical development/production timing, this does seem weird. That said, it could just be a matter of there being way less cut/sew, the polystone cold cast process taking way less time, and some clever planning on Kevin’s end and bam, here you go. I get where the argument is going, but HT is so risk averse in their offerings, they’d not chance the Asian market for this imo. I’d gladly pay them $1K for a armature/rubber suit Jabba though. Maybe there has been some innovations in rubber with all this new space travel nowadays!

I'm not sure I'm following the train of thought here.

If the idea is that Sideshow 'rushed' this to market to get it out ahead of the forthcoming HT release ... if they had that capability, why not just put everything out on time?

We've been doing this long enough to understand that the manufacturers have next to no control over when the product is released, they're at the mercy of their production facilities.

If the idea is that Sideshow 'rushed' this to market to get it out ahead of the forthcoming HT release ... if they had that capability, why not just put everything out on time?

We've been doing this long enough to understand that the manufacturers have next to no control over when the product is released, they're at the mercy of their production facilities.

Maybe part of the reason it costs too much is that a $200 priority bribe to the factories is included in the cost:monkey3

No idea if a Hot Toys release has anything to do with anything but I sure wish I did. If Howard would kindly let us know [1) is HT making a Jabba? 2) When? 3) How much? 4) will it be made of a rubber like material that disintegrates?] then I could much more easily decide whether or not to purchase this well overpriced but nice enough looking Jabba or risk missing out on the slug for a second damn time.

I'm gonna hold out with the hope that HT will eventually make a hands on hips sad Jabba from 1997.

jabba-1997.jpg

Ah... the Jabba that never should have been.

4 years after the T-rex, the genius Lucas gave us that... and thought we wouldn't notice. So bad it was he even tried to sneak in a redo a couple years later.

Then why aren't pretty much all figures routinely - and erratically - released say 6 months or 9 months after the scheduled release quarter?

Figures do sometimes get delayed by a couple of months (rarely more - there have been some extreme cases, but it's a small number) and HT has occasionally released early in the past year or so, again by only a month or two - Tarkin was a recent example - but probably 90% of the time, the figure does indeed ship within that predicted quarter or very shortly thereafter.

That's far from "next to no control," right? And it may seem like a release date centered on a three month quarter itself is pretty broad, but my guess is that has more to do with international surface shipping issues and in many cases the flow through various entities in the distribution chain than factories who don't answer the phone or shrug their shoulders when Sideshow or HT asks when the product run will be finished.

It certainly seems like HT runs a pretty tight operation with HT figs showing up for sale in Asia sometimes somewhat earlier than expected, if not, pretty much on time. That doesn't seem like a "roll the dice" or "we have no idea nor control over when it'll be available".:dunno

I'm gonna hold out with the hope that HT will eventually make a hands on hips sad Jabba from 1997.

jabba-1997.jpg

It actually would have been cool if this Jabba was able to spin at the waist to achieve the Docking bay look. We could finally have a DB94 Jabba next to a Han that actually looked like Jabba.

It's a fun EU-type or "behind the scenes" scene, even if it's 100% disposable content-wise and has been forever sullied by some of the worst CGI of the past 20 years (topped only perhaps by Anaconda vs Lake Placid.)

Based on SS’s typical development/production timing, this does seem weird. That said, it could just be a matter of there being way less cut/sew, the polystone cold cast process taking way less time, and some clever planning on Kevin’s end and bam, here you go. I get where the argument is going, but HT is so risk averse in their offerings, they’d not chance the Asian market for this imo. I’d gladly pay them $1K for a armature/rubber suit Jabba though. Maybe there has been some innovations in rubber with all this new space travel nowadays!

True, but there's no polystone at all in this release. That being said, it's possible that resin and fiberglass also has a simpler production process than injection molded plastics.

And no, judging by the ED-209 fiasco V.2, there haven't been any earth-shattering breakthroughs at HT for rubber parts. A rubbery Jabba would be cool, but I have traumatic memories of my huge (Toy Biz?) LOTR Troll's mouth/face disintegrating and tearing after only a month or so.:( And that was probably only about $40 at the time.

Personally, I still prefer V1 with curled tail. BUT I am interested to know, which one of our freaks would be an awesome painter to call upon to repaint V1? For science, of course.

I'd like to take the challenge andhave an amazing painjob done on V1 and then compare it to V2. So far I have not seen an expertly skilled/experienced paintjob done on a V1. Who would be the painter to call on?

Personally, I still prefer V1 with curled tail.

Yeah, I know its another potential seam line but it might have been nice to have had a straight tail and swap-out curved tail for the price this is. The straight tail is actually onscreen a lot but the curved tail has more personality (and as seen in the movie.)

One thing about this new release that definitely doesn't feel like much of a step forward is the Salacious Crumb - while the new one is more accurate color, the old one looks much closer to screen accurate with the thinner arms and legs and just a sharper sculpt maybe.

Love all the pillows around him though - big step up on polystone (??!) pillows from the old one.

BUT I am interested to know, which one of our freaks would be an awesome painter to call upon to repaint V1? For science, of course.

I'd like to take the challenge andhave an amazing painjob done on V1 and then compare it to V2. So far I have not seen an expertly skilled/experienced paintjob done on a V1. Who would be the painter to call on?

I always thought Custommikey on here did a decent job on his (found a pic from quite a few years ago.)

8822843_orig.jpg

The point is, there's just no denying that how this has played out is highly unusual for a Sideshow release, especially such a major high-priced one.

My guess is it'd be in the $400 range. i mean they have had single human figures that are close to $300.

It's true, but it's more significant that this is nearly $1000 - such a major release compared to a regular 1/6 figure.

How do the SSC statue release plan work? The schedule could be a result of this being a statue rather than a figure that requires a lot of tailoring and materials. I mean, SSC are probably the ones with the most experience in producing statues and that might make it faster/easier for them. They probably have the better factory arrangements. I don’t think we can directly compare the release schedule of a statue with a regular sixth scale figure.

How do the SSC statue release plan work? The schedule could be a result of this being a statue rather than a figure that requires a lot of tailoring and materials. I mean, SSC are probably the ones with the most experience in producing statues and that might make it faster/easier for them. I don’t think we can directly compare the release schedule of a statue with a regular sixth scale figure.

It's categorized as part of Sideshow's "sixth scale figure" collection though.:dunno

The older Jabba was rotocast vinyl (like many larger action figures) and had articulated arms - was that subject to Sideshow's statue release schedule?

Working out how to create an environment for the throne and wondering how I could place Bib Fortuna next to Jabba, I suddenly realised after all these years that Bib Fortuna was half on the throne and half on the lower step next to it, because there isn't much floor space next to the support rail. Could be tricky getting him secured like that, even if there's depth to place a 'flight' style stand to hold him.

Jabba's_dais.jpg

BibFortuna_Jabba_Ep6.jpg

It's categorized as part of Sideshow's "sixth scale figure" collection though.:dunno

The older Jabba was rotocast vinyl (like many larger action figures) and had articulated arms - was that subject to Sideshow's statue release schedule?

That’s not what I mean. I mean, it might be a faster production with a statue, so we get it faster. I don’t think that all other figures get delayed on purpose.
That said, I was thinking the same thing as you, but now I’ve no idea... not sure how HT would do this. I’m afraid a lot of rubber would be involved...

Working out how to create an environment for the throne and wondering how I could place Bib Fortuna next to Jabba, I suddenly realised after all these years that Bib Fortuna was half on the throne and half on the lower step next to it, because there isn't much floor space next to the support rail. Could be tricky getting him secured like that, even if there's depth to place a 'flight' style stand to hold him.

View attachment 439981

View attachment 439982

I wonder what all that brown is that's smeared up the underside of Jabba's belly?:lol

And yeah, that step is what I was meaning earlier about how it's hard to judge Jabba's height because of the step layout. You'd thing the art director would have created a bit of a full platform right next to Jabba because there's at least 3PO, Bib and Fett that stand right there. Must have been tricky for the actors involved with heavy make-up or helmets on to see what they were doing safely.

That’s not what I mean. I mean, it might be a faster production with a statue, so we get it faster. I don’t think that all other figures get delayed on purpose.
That said, I was thinking the same thing as you, but now I’ve no idea... not sure how HT would do this. I’m afraid a lot of rubber would be involved...

You know how HT would do it - better than Sideshow. :monkey3 That's what we're supposed to say around here to be with the cool kids, right? :lol

I wonder what all that brown is that's smeared up the underside of Jabba's belly?:lol

:horror

:lol

TaliBane said:
And yeah, that step is what I was meaning earlier about how it's hard to judge Jabba's height because of the step layout. You'd thing the art director would have created a bit of a full platform right next to Jabba because there's at least 3PO, Bib and Fett that stand right there. Must have been tricky for the actors involved with heavy make-up or helmets on to see what they were doing safely.

:exactly:

In the photo with Bib you can see they've covered the step with what looks like anti-slip checker plate. They may even have extended it forwards for extra safety.

In any case my display will be a fudge of some sort because the shelf I've allocated, while over 9' long, is only about an inch deeper than the throne itself, so there won't be anything behind except for an MDF backboard to create the illusion of an enclosed sandstone room. So the steps to the side could be redesigned so the top one is level with the throne, or just low enough that the top of a black oval figure stand is level with the throne.

Jabba's palace is my favourite location in ROTJ, and this diorama somebody built for 3 3/4" remains an inspiration:

JabbasPalace02_large.jpg

JabbasPalace01_large.jpg

JabbasPalace03_large.jpg

JabbasPalace04_large.jpg

JabbasPalace05_large.jpg

JabbasPalace06_large.jpg

JabbasPalace07_large.jpg

You know how HT would do it - better than Sideshow. :monkey3 That's what we're supposed to say around here to be with the cool kids, right? :lol

I wouldn't count on it being a better prospect either.

I'd rather Jabba was resin rather than some 'real feel' skin with a jointed arms and tail that would constantly make me afraid of its longevity. Statues are Sideshow's forte. Under normal circumstances I prize an action figure over a statue, unless the model represents an animal - horses, dogs, cats, etc work better as solid pieces than action figures. Jabba, being far from humanoid and completely naked :)horror), is akin to a resin animal. Though Sideshow have given him some 'action' features to make him a little more than a mere statue.

Back