Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This probably goes without saying, but I would definitely be down for a Hot Toys version as well. I think this version looks great, but I think the facial sculpt may actually not be as good as the original in terms of fidelity to the original puppet. If Hot Toys could make a version that combines soft rubber with other materials -- kind of like Hasbro did with their 6" Black Series Jabba, but better -- it could potentially be the definitive Jabba figure. But I'm not holding my breath.

HT would likely use rubber/vinyl to try and get articulation in areas, but it's so hard to say. Hulk is a character you want to pose a fair amount, where Jabba is sedentary and really doesn't need much. I'd almost rather them do vinyl with swap out arms or hands or things to give you more options but make a piece that will last. Also, Hulk is limited to his torso and arms with the rest plastic/vinyl.

I decided to stop being lazy and just go ahead and finish my old Jabba repaint. Here's another before and after.

JabbaBefore&After01b.jpg

Here's the repainted old Jabba by itself (for easier viewing than the before-and-after pic). As many have said before, the old sculpt was a pretty good one, so I'm curious as to why Sideshow didn't just repaint it and release it as a Version 2. I think plenty of people would've been okay with that option.

JabbaPaintFinished.jpg

Looks nice! I don’t think repainting the old figure would be a viable option for Sideshow, but its interesting to think how much they would sell such a thing for.

Looks nice! I don’t think repainting the old figure would be a viable option for Sideshow, but its interesting to think how much they would sell such a thing for.

Thanks, icruise. Why do you say that Sideshow repainting wouldn't be viable? The paint app they used for the new Jabba could've been applied to the old sculpt. Having the previous mold (without having to pay for a new sculpt), and simply painting new casts would likely mean that the price point could be much lower than a whole new Jabba. Doing a new sculpt could then be something SSC could do later down the line to double dip. Maybe I just don't understand the process enough to have an informed opinion, but I think they could sell quite a few old Jabbas as "Version 2" before asking people to plunk down close to a grand for a whole new figure and throne.

Looks great! Night and day!

Thank you, good sir. Much appreciated.

I'm gonna hold out with the hope that HT will eventually make a hands on hips sad Jabba from 1997.

jabba-1997.jpg

I have always viewed this atrocity as more “proof of concept” over actual artistic need for George.

He was way more interested in selling his effects vision over story and art after OT. He was mostly trying to show the industry he could replace an actor with a digital character and make it look real.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

In the words of his own creation: That is why he failed.

Oh yeah, I didnt say he succeeded.
Or did he? Its being done all the time now......

As far as I can remember this was the first time it had been done in a major film....

He tried again with Jar Jar, before he realized he could skip the actor part...
Then they reversed it and brought the actors back.

As far as I can remember this was the first time it had been done in a major film....

I really don't see the difference between that and replacing Robert Patrick with the T-1000 in 1991.

The gimmick was to get original OT footage back into Star Wars for re-release. The long-missing "Jabba" scene returned! Silly idea, since its makes the Greedo scene obsolete. But if you're going to do it, do be so literal. You don't want Han walking over Jabba -- cut away to a creature watching or Chewbacca expression, anything -- but don't have Han walk over the Crime Boss everyone fears. And that's just a start.

The gimmick was to get original OT footage back into Star Wars for re-release. The long-missing "Jabba" scene returned! Silly idea, since its makes the Greedo scene obsolete. But if you're going to do it, do be so literal. You don't want Han walking over Jabba -- cut away to a creature watching or Chewbacca expression, anything -- but don't have Han walk over the Crime Boss everyone fears. And that's just a start.

Yeah, I agree. That's what ruined that scene for me. Not the idea of putting Jabba back in, but having Han walk over his tail and on top pf him was a bad idea. Jabba's supposed to be a powerful scary intimidating intergalactic crime boss. I don't think that would've went over too well. :lol

But then again, Han is a badass, soooooo.

Looking forward to some really good comparison photo's of the new Jabba with the old. So I can keep convincing myself this would be a TOTAL waste of money and completely unnecessary to re buy him... :monkey3

My bigger issue with the scene was that it gave away the big reveal of the Falcon. The fact Lucas shoehorned it in anyway, despite how it ruined the flow of the movie, makes clear how he was much interested in CG spectacle at that point than story.

Here's the repainted old Jabba by itself (for easier viewing than the before-and-after pic). As many have said before, the old sculpt was a pretty good one, so I'm curious as to why Sideshow didn't just repaint it and release it as a Version 2. I think plenty of people would've been okay with that option.

View attachment 440067

I don't think you need anything more said other than comparing it to icruise's sig...:clap

It's pretty much a 100% nailed likeness that's finally gotten some screen accurate paint. Did you just paint straight onto the fig, or did you strip the old paint?

sigpic3423_6.gif

This probably goes without saying, but I would definitely be down for a Hot Toys version as well. I think this version looks great, but I think the facial sculpt may actually not be as good as the original in terms of fidelity to the original puppet. If Hot Toys could make a version that combines soft rubber with other materials -- kind of like Hasbro did with their 6" Black Series Jabba, but better -- it could potentially be the definitive Jabba figure. But I'm not holding my breath.

This new version doesn't quite nail the likeness as well as the old version, but it came out better than the prototype. And my guess is the new size is a bit better, and the ability to create at least three distinct "Jabba looks" with the combinations of eyes and arms is really pretty cool and something that makes this figure, even if the visible gap/seam on the sides of the mouth bugs me. And though I'm probably alone in this, I'm starting to really kind of like the straight tail too because it's different.

Still mulling whether to get this guy. It's such a massive chunk of change. Had it been in the $600 range I would have probably already pulled the trigger.

One thing I've noticed in all the early pics is that the left eye socket seems to be slightly twisted, creating a look where that left eye subtly slopes downward, looking a bit off. Hopefully that was just the one they had in the Sideshow video.

My bigger issue with the scene was that it gave away the big reveal of the Falcon.

An interesting by-product of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is that it does actually take some of the heat off the SW:SE and I can't imagine that it was by accident. The SE robbed Han of "shooting first" in his first film and it also provided a lame first reveal of the Falcon.

But if you watch Solo first then he does shoot first and the Falcon does get a sweet first reveal.

An interesting by-product of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is that it does actually take some of the heat off the SW:SE and I can't imagine that it was by accident. The SE robbed Han of "shooting first" in his first film and it also provided a lame first reveal of the Falcon.

But if you watch Solo first then he does shoot first and the Falcon does get a sweet first reveal.

I am always smiling when Han shoot Dryden.....it almost seems like its a direct slap to GL’s face for making such a PC change....

Now we need a similar slap to Spielberg for erasing the guns in ET

I thought he slapped himself and put them back?

Yeah the walkie-talkies have been gone since the 2012 blu-ray release and have never appeared again in theatrical re-releases, televised releases, or other home video releases since. Thankfully he came to his senses and lived to regret (and correct) his mistake.

Back