Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's true.

I don't understand the "statue" argument other than as a way to justify NOT getting this I guess. I mean, the original Jabba hardly qualifies as an action figure. So it had twistable arms -- with very little range of motion due to his girth. Is that really where the line is drawn? Old Jabba is an action figure where this new one is not? I'd say old Jabba was basically a statue with partially moving arms. I don't know where the dividing line is but 2007 Jabba must be straddling it.

As far as "action" figure goes, I'd say this new "statue" has a lot more posing options that old Jabba ever could.
I don’t care that this is a statue. I mean frankly I don’t really know how else you make Jabba.

No, that wasn't directed at you, just had the thought when I was answering your post.

But yeah, unless you make it a true "rubber" bendable slug, he's going to be pretty much a statue... like he was.

Maybe its better to think of this as a "hard puppet". :lol

I can’t really say I agree with this sentiment personally. Is this Jabba a nice piece? Definitely, but I still would prefer having three other figures filling out my display than missing this one piece that I’d have to pay out the ass for and dedicate a large space to.

The other thing with Jabba is that as great as this figure is I almost feel like it needs accompanying pieces to complete the setup (Bib, Gammorean Guards, etc.). I’d still get this if it was more affordable and I had the space, but I think there’s good reasons for a lot of people to pass on it in favor of other figures.

Yeah that's kinda where I'm at. Even though I love the different display options this comes with, and even though it would look awesome on top of the Vittsjo I'm using for my SW collection, I think I'd still rather put that money towards extra figures instead.

Plus as far as huge purchases go this year, I'm already committed to a Landspeeder, a Vrataski exosuit, and the Prime1 Ultimate WW, and just don't think I could squeeze in another. Even though it does look really damn cool.

That's true.

I don't understand the "statue" argument other than as a way to justify NOT getting this I guess. I mean, the original Jabba hardly qualifies as an action figure. So it had twistable arms -- with very little range of motion due to his girth. Is that really where the line is drawn? Old Jabba is an action figure where this new one is not? I'd say old Jabba was basically a statue with partially moving arms. I don't know where the dividing line is but 2007 Jabba must be straddling it.

As far as "action" figure goes, I'd say this new "statue" has a lot more posing options that old Jabba ever could.

Jabba is a figure you can only do so much with, yes. But I'm pretty confident HT would find a way for his arms, tail, and maybe even his mouth and tongue to have movement and poseability. Things that define a 1/6 scale action figure, vs a 1/6 scale statue. I don't think we'll be seeing a SS segment on YouTube with "How To Be A Poser" with Jabba. :lol

Also the materials used make a difference. They also effect how the look, paint sheen and texture would be visibly different. Different materials absorb paint differently, reflect light differently. A HT/SS head is not made of the same plastic material as the body. And I believe we almost all like the seamless look of the rubber arms over plastic molded arms with visible joints on many HT figures.

Take the HT line of PP (Power Pose) Iron Man figures as another example. They don't do very well, do they? HT has only made a few. They tend to sit and linger for quite some time. And nearly EVERY fan would buy the regular HT 1/6 action figure over the power pose figure, regardless of the price. Many collectors here weren't happy they were only making an IW Hulkbuster in the PP line rather than the MMS line. And most argue their reasoning is they are more a statue than an action figure. Well, to me, they are WAY more an action figure than this Jabba is. In materials used, feel, look, motion and articulation.

I'm happy for those excited to add this to their 1/6 collection of action figures.. I just simply added my opinion to the discussion on what this Jabba is. We each as collectors can have differing views and opinions as to why we do/do not want something while still sharing our enthusiasm and passion with each other.

I don't think this Jabba really needed any more poseability that it has now, but I do agree HT probably would have taken the level of detail up a notch, especially with their more realistic and translucent skin texture. But then it would also cost an extra $300 probably.

And also the fact they're just never going to make one. ;)

Maybe I should make a bet with myself? Like, if the Rams win today I will buy Jabba... if they lose I will not.

Could make the game very interesting. :)

I'm afraid you should bet the opposite if you want the mighty Jabba in your collection:monkey3

I don't think this Jabba really needed any more poseability that it has now, but I do agree HT probably would have taken the level of detail up a notch, especially with their more realistic and translucent skin texture. But then it would also cost an extra $300 probably.

And also the fact they're just never going to make one. ;)

The more I thought about a Hot Toys Jabba the more I think it won't happen either. They seem to be shying away from large vehicles/dio type stuff. With all of Jabba's wrinkles and bumps would the rubber type material HT uses on other stuff even work? Would it crack or rot in a couple years? Does Hot Toys have any interest in Star Wars creatures/aliens?

All things considered personally I think a statue works best for Jabba and I'm pretty impressed with the effort Sideshow put in to make swap out parts that allow alternate looks for the slug. The seam lines appear to be visible if you closely look for them but the pieces appear to fit snug and are pretty well camouflaged by all the wrinkles and grime.

I took a few more photos of things that I didn't do last time, including sleepy-time Jabba, the throne without Jabba on it, the frog bowl (which can now be seen from above if you remove the hookah and also has the froggy snack in "water" as a separate removable piece), and Jabba's face with no parts on it (nightmare fuel!)

new_sideshow_jabba_small12-1.jpg
new_sideshow_jabba_small13.jpg
new_sideshow_jabba_small14.jpg
new_sideshow_jabba_small15.jpg
new_sideshow_jabba_small16.jpg
new_sideshow_jabba_small17.jpg
new_sideshow_jabba_small18.jpg

Back