Scultping a redhood mask over a hts head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abazou

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello
I tried to sculpt a redhood helmet over a hottoy head.
Everything was fine till i left it to dry
And then it had several cracks as it was drying
What did i do wrong?
99134424c2aa84c3cbfea30cf0345f89.jpg

4f50c20614cfe41a7bd9f0f505c8d1b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello
I tried to sculpt a redhood helmet over a hottoy head.
Everything was fine till i left it to dry
And then it had several cracks as it was drying
What did i do wrong?
99134424c2aa84c3cbfea30cf0345f89.jpg

4f50c20614cfe41a7bd9f0f505c8d1b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of clay? There was probably some mild contraction of the clay as it dried. If the clay contracts over an internal structure that doesn't ALSO contract, the clay will split because it is now too small for the structure beneath it.

So, you'll either need to scupt the head ENTIRELY out of clay, or use something over top of a HT head like Milliput, which shouldn't have the contraction issues. The downside to Milliput is the working time and it can also be a tad irritating to your hands.

I have no experience working with clay, but like most materials, it will contract while drying. Try making the sculpt two pieces. Sculpt it just like you did, and when you're done, slice it off the head with an X-Acto. Create some kind of bladder with a small balloon, and place the sculpt on that to dry. Over inflate just a touch to counterbalance the shrinkage. With any luck, when dry, you can refit the halves, touch up and paint or make a mold.
Good luck.
Ryan

Back