Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it possible to just seal the mouth shut after the teeth have been removed?

i received my Captain via UPS today and really dig him... may bulk him up, but really don't mind the teeth (the sculpt will be very distinguishable from the many more Hot Toy gorilla faces hopefully on the way).

Yes, it's possible--you would have to cut through the lower jaw and reposition it...and then smooth out the cut marks, but it is possible.

I'm an extra HT vest from having Urko in his proper colors!!
Also have a number of body parts laid out trying to discern how to properly paint them up.
That bandana still eludes me, but I'm getting there. Maybe once thats done I'll get the nerve up to start trying Jess' robe patterns so my Mutants can come out of hiding.
Jess, having defaced (literally) the HT gorilla, and seeing how they applied the hair, do you think that way is a viable option for rehairing the hasbro or other custom sculpts?

Ironman, the hair option with fake fur is only possible on custom sculpts if you dremel off the hair around the face and glue down fake fur on top of that...because the face is not removeable, you would have to glue hair around the edges to conceal the plastic edge...or perhaps paint latex around the edges and then punch it with hair...so you would need to find fake fur that you could do this with...

OR you could take a cast of just the face and replicate Hot Toy's gorilla heads with the fur if you can find the same type of fake fur, and then glue the cast of the face on top of that.

That bandana still eludes me, but I'm getting there.

Who's getting the bandana Ironman? Isn't it just a square piece of cloth? Why is it eluding you?

I got all 16 of the glyphs made for the President's robe. I need to make the final piece for his shoulders now. I hope to have that final piece done this weekend. Then I'm having a painting party with him! :fest

Last edited:
Ironman, the hair option with fake fur is only possible on custom sculpts if you dremel off the hair around the face and glue down fake fur on top of that...because the face is not removeable, you would have to glue hair around the edges to conceal the plastic edge...or perhaps paint latex around the edges and then punch it with hair...so you would need to find fake fur that you could do this with...

OR you could take a cast of just the face and replicate Hot Toy's gorilla heads with the fur if you can find the same type of fake fur, and then glue the cast of the face on top of that.
Do you think it plausible on a hasbro head?
Who's getting a bandana? Isn't it just a square piece of cloth? Why is it eluding you?
I can't get it to "hang" right. :banghead

Wet it down first if you're having "hanging" problems. I did that with the blanket that JJ made me (and put it on Taylor the right way) and it hangs much better now. As it dries, it should hold that shape. If that doesn't work, how about a little spray starch?

For those of you haven't seen Jessica's latest sculpting. Check this out. She's incredible!

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50143&page=22 :elf

Ironman, if you can't get the cloth to hang right, do what Angel says or do what I do...cheat and dab some cloth glue to force the creases/crevices down after you've tied the bandana. If you put it thinly enough, it dries pretty fast, and you can hold the crease down until it dries by pinching it...or blowdry it!

Aw shucks, Angel...I am just getting my practice...and even though it's not ape related, it's still crafting...and I love to do that.

Thank you PZ!!

I need to figure out how to change my SS ape army into an HT ape army.

How many SS apes would you be willing to trade for a HT ape and which SS apes would you put in the mix?

IMG_3359.jpg
IMG_3352.jpg

Last edited:
Again, Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines
3-4 MIB depending on who, or 5 loose = 1 HT Ape. :monkey5

Sticks - Check out this gorilla grodd head that is being used over at OSW. This one is mine and he's not quite done yet. He’s pretty neat. He's got really scary teeth, but he's not what we all grew up loving as kids.

Last edited:
Holy crap they look fabuloso!! I really love how they look. Excellent job there. He's going to look fabulous. I can't wait to see him at the tribunal!

:banana :banana :banana

Did you end up making simple molds and casts of those....or did you go all out and resculpt each freaking one????

Eeep....gotta run and pick up some yarn from my girlfriend's house. I promised to make booties to be donated to the knitting group I used to belong to...then I have to run errands and buy earthquake supplies for my 3 kids...hopefully swing by the fabric shop if I have time...and if they're still open, I have to buy wefts of hair for the gorilla costumes for my Planet of the APes fans in the house.)

Back