Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in trying to figure out how to create a ball neck for my Link. I came across something else that may work (that's cheaper)...but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Tonight I'm going to do something easy...like make his pants and trace out a rubber eraser and cut it down into a boot shape so that I could stretch out some leather over it. I'll use the fingers from my Dr. Zaius gloves (that I still haven't finished)...

Jess, how did that laser etching of the leather ever turn out?

He was just experimenting. I think it came out rather well for recreating an intricate design. I have not heard about it since he posted on it...and actually I owe him a painted Mego head....:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

As soon as I finish this painted head and send him off, I'll ask him about it. I'll put some effort into painting tomorrow. It's tough, as Angel says, to put yourself into something you don't want to do, when your mind is on sculpting. I also like to paint...but now I am itching to up my sculpting skills.

Oh crap. Where did the night go? If I could just stop surfing the internet, I could get something done. Anyway, I was researching Link's outfit and came across several fantastic ideas regarding his scabbard. I purchased balsa wood to make his shield as well....and still churning ideas on how I will get this accomplished.

Last edited:
Right now I think I'm more intriqued as to whether it would work more than inspired enough to try it.
For Attar to work, he'd need his head/neck area significantly cut down, his mouth opened and head hot glued from the inside. It may actually be the head to work on that neck modification with, if I can find a way to adequately cover the joint.

The only way to do this and not lose any of the articulation is to go with doll hair...I felt up the fake furs at Joanne's today. Nothing ape worthy. I also went to the petshop with my boys. They were wondering what I needed to find in the dog toy section (we only have one pet fish)...I told them I was looking for a stuffed animal to skin. :D Again, nothing ape worthy. I will keep looking.

I'm interested in trying to figure out how to create a ball neck for my Link. I came across something else that may work (that's cheaper)
I'll be watching for your idea. I was wondering if any Lego or Bionicle type joints would work as well.
He was just experimenting. I think it came out rather well for recreating an intricate design. I have not heard about it since he posted on it...and actually I owe him a painted Mego head....:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

As soon as I finish this painted head and send him off, I'll ask him about it.
Ok, I was just curious. It seeed to be very crisp glyphs and that would rock if its affordable.
The only way to do this and not lose any of the articulation is to go with doll hair...I felt up the fake furs at Joanne's today. Nothing ape worthy. I also went to the petshop with my boys. They were wondering what I needed to find in the dog toy section (we only have one pet fish)...I told them I was looking for a stuffed animal to skin. :D Again, nothing ape worthy. I will keep looking.
Real hair? Hmmmm, not sure I'm ready to try that just yet.

Those Bioncle joints are a great idea you guys! Way to go enaud.

Now that a full day has passed, I’m looking at the work that I’ve already done on the Statue of Liberty. I like what I’ve accomplished so far. Unfortunately, I can now see that I’m going to need another 3-5 gallons of Bondo. Yikes! The Bondo just isn’t covering as much as I had hoped.

From this point on, I think that I’m going to use paper mache for the making of Lady Liberty’s robe. Once it’s dry, I should be able to Bondo over that, thus making a very hard shell for her outer skin.

Enaud--didn't see your post...but super cool about the joints. I was trying to think of using something for the Megos...since they can't pose at all. I want my figures to be dynamic. I hate when they look like dolls.

It's amazing how the Mego sculpts were able to capture Burke and Virdon. They don't look so bad...and also the Star Trek figures were pretty good (except for Uhura and Scotty). But dang, I really hate Mego clothes.

I know some of you traversed the Forbidden Zome and crossed over to the OSW camp to see some ape activity. I don't know if you saw the 2nd Grodd head that Alyasha has.

Okay, kids, time for pix of my new monkey boys, comparing them with the Sideahows...
PICT0002-7.jpg

The gang. Note that the HT's are a bit taller;also shooting in sunlight really brings out the colors on them...
PICT0003-6.jpg

Talk about being seriously out-classed!
And now, the generals...
PICT0005-4.jpg

Immediatly obvious is the more contoured aspect of the HT "hard parts"...
PICT0006-4.jpg

comparing helmets, including the SST original, which is no longer useable.The Hasbro helmet is a major improvement, but still hopelessly outclassed by HT...
PICT0007-4.jpg

An interesting detail;the HT collar is a seperate piece, while the SST is attached.If they weren't so expensive the customizers would be on this like ugly on an...never mind(hello, Aldo, Urko...)
PICT0009-3.jpg

Here we see how much difference there is to the two armors. The HT looks like leather with plates; Sideshow is much cruder, like formed sheet metal with added plates.
One could go on for several pages comparing details here(guns,boots etc.)but,really, the photo's speak for themselves. And they still don't do these guys justice;some of the colors are too subtle for the camera to pick up.
On the subject of colors, my wife(who has a degree in art, including color theory) informs me that the gorillas are wearing eggplant leather with puce cloth.Works for me...PS

LOL! The last photo looks like they're doing the Macarena.

Excellent comparison shots. It's really like apples and oranges. No comparison...although the SS gorillas will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't know why but I find them so cute. (Not the SS Ursus though. I've always hated him).

Now that a full day has passed, I’m looking at the work that I’ve already done on the Statue of Liberty. I like what I’ve accomplished so far. Unfortunately, I can now see that I’m going to need another 3-5 gallons of Bondo. Yikes! The Bondo just isn’t covering as much as I had hoped.

From this point on, I think that I’m going to use paper mache for the making of Lady Liberty’s robe. Once it’s dry, I should be able to Bondo over that, thus making a very hard shell for her outer skin. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Wow,That's alot of bondo.Sounds like that thing is going to be heavy.

Last edited:
Back