Reacher

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were probably just excited they had someone man sized rather than petite Tom Cruise.
I like Tom but I still find it funny they cast him as Reacher, a character well known for his size.
Yeah I thought Cruise was fine in the role, but there was nothing remotely unique about the character in those movies. And it's a lot more fun watching this big brute of a man who's actually the smartest guy in the room and a world class investigator.

Yeah the first season was surprisingly good, so looking forward to the second.

Although I still don't get the show's obsession with how big a guy Reacher is. I know that comes from the books but the actor doesn't look that exceptionally tall so it's a bit cringey hearing it constantly brought up. Lol
I can deal with it. There's bigger guys ("hands like hams", 6'5" attractive but not ridiculously good looking, fair haired according to the books) but - can they act? And can they commit to a series and put the work in?

The whole Cruise self-insert was cringe - Cruise is a talented guy but yah gotta know your limits.

They were probably just excited they had someone man sized rather than petite Tom Cruise.
I like Tom but I still find it funny they cast him as Reacher, a character well known for his size.

Cruise cast HIMSELF that's what makes it so lame. He bought the book options and got the author $$$$ Lee Child to blather some BS about how great it was. I lost some respect for the author 'coz of that. Cruise too. Cruise had the options and could have cast anyone, but had to be The Man even if he's 5'7" and dark haired.

Course now we're lucky Reacher actually looks like the book character and isn't a red haired female who talks gently to criminals and makes them cry, or some *&^% :pfft: :stake

Last edited:
Course now we're lucky Reacher actually looks like the book character and isn't a red haired female who talks gently to criminals and makes them cry, or some *&^% :pfft: :stake
:lol

I knew nothing about the books or character, but I did enjoy both movies that I had just watched back to back last year when the series On Prime had come out. That along with the praise the series was getting is why I decided to watch it. I waited till it ended and binged all the episodes back to back for the most part. I was pleasantly surprised how good and enjoyable the show was. I was a bit confused at how different the character from the movie and the show was portrayed, so after some googling I realized the show was much more accurate. But I must say I do still enjoy the movies too.

It is a miracle he was as manly as he was in the series given the current state of Hollywood and media at the time. This along with a few other shows (such as The Terminal List, The Old Man, Tulsa King) are gems since they still allowed some testosterone filled men to be manly. Felt like the good ole days. Before the current dark times of Hollywood.

Looking forward to season 2. Hopefully it's more of the same.

It is a miracle he was as manly as he was in the series given the current state of Hollywood and media at the time. This along with a few other shows (such as The Terminal List, The Old Man, Tulsa King) are gems since they still allowed some testosterone filled men to be manly. Felt like the good ole days. Before the current dark times of Hollywood.
TV seems to be much more balanced than movies atm

I knew nothing about the books or character, but I did enjoy both movies that I had just watched back to back last year when the series On Prime had come out. That along with the praise the series was getting is why I decided to watch it. I waited till it ended and binged all the episodes back to back for the most part. I was pleasantly surprised how good and enjoyable the show was. I was a bit confused at how different the character from the movie and the show was portrayed, so after some googling I realized the show was much more accurate. But I must say I do still enjoy the movies too.

Looking forward to season 2. Hopefully it's more of the same.
:exactly: But if you read the books - including this character Neely from S1 who is a sharpshooter - the way the original author does women is the right way. The women are often attractive, competent; but sometimes not so competent; there's reasons they have a given skill set; or don't. Women are treated with respect without making them insufferable. A few during the book series, as I recall, are truly evil and get taken out.

Yeah, I've always liked the author's writing style which at its best is unflinching, spare, lean, and Reacher has these quirks but is highly intelligent. Time to time he gets messed up. So thank gawd Amazon decided to go with what works in the books, more or less.

Yep, IMO it's truly the dark times in Hollywood. I'm trying hard to think of any scene or line I'd think of as iconic in years to come, since Cap limped across a field in End Game. Even from an animated film. There's nothing like "I'll be back;", "What we've got here is a failure to communicate; "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse;" "If you build it, he will come;" etc.

It's not like looking back over movie history and thinking of the casts of thousands of 1950s movies, rebellious 60s movies, musicals, 80s bro movies, the arrival of SW and LOTR. It's the time when box office bombs hit streaming services so fast there's not much point to going to a theater and poorly written dribble.:pfft:

I can deal with it. There's bigger guys ("hands like hams", 6'5" attractive but not ridiculously good looking, fair haired according to the books) but - can they act? And can they commit to a series and put the work in?

The whole Cruise self-insert was cringe - Cruise is a talented guy but yah gotta know your limits.

Cruise cast HIMSELF that's what makes it so lame. He bought the book options and got the author $$$$ Lee Child to blather some BS about how great it was. I lost some respect for the author 'coz of that. Cruise too. Cruise had the options and could have cast anyone, but had to be The Man even if he's 5'7" and dark haired.

Well, I haven't read the books; if Reacher is supposed to be 6'5", then Alan Ritchson at 6'3" is perfect casting, it's just a difference of 2 inches and he fits the role well. Even better, they should hire a supporting cast that's much shorter then most which would give a stronger impression.
I love the first movie mostly for being a solid detective story , Cruise came off as a highly skilled former soldier, and Werner Hertzog was an excellent villain, not so much with the second movie.
The series is better by far and I'm looking forward to season 2 unlike anything else coming out in the next year, hopefully this goes on for a couple of seasons. I think I should also pick up the novel.

:exactly: But if you read the books - including this character Neely from S1 who is a sharpshooter - the way the original author does women is the right way. The women are often attractive, competent; but sometimes not so competent; there's reasons they have a given skill set; or don't. Women are treated with respect without making them insufferable. A few during the book series, as I recall, are truly evil and get taken out.

Yeah, I've always liked the author's writing style which at its best is unflinching, spare, lean, and Reacher has these quirks but is highly intelligent. Time to time he gets messed up. So thank gawd Amazon decided to go with what works in the books, more or less.

Yep, IMO it's truly the dark times in Hollywood. I'm trying hard to think of any scene or line I'd think of as iconic in years to come, since Cap limped across a field in End Game. Even from an animated film. There's nothing like "I'll be back;", "What we've got here is a failure to communicate; "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse;" "If you build it, he will come;" etc.

It's not like looking back over movie history and thinking of the casts of thousands of 1950s movies, rebellious 60s movies, musicals, 80s bro movies, the arrival of SW and LOTR. It's the time when box office bombs hit streaming services so fast there's not much point to going to a theater and poorly written dribble.:pfft:
You probably know that Lee Child is in the process of transitioning writing duties to his brother. The last co-written books haven't been as good, unfortunately, but they aren't terrible. I just finished reading "The Secret" and it was an easy read, but didn't hit the heights of the first 20 Reacher books.

You probably know that Lee Child is in the process of transitioning writing duties to his brother. The last co-written books haven't been as good, unfortunately, but they aren't terrible. I just finished reading "The Secret" and it was an easy read, but didn't hit the heights of the first 20 Reacher books.
No I didn't know that but guess that's it then. Agree the earlier run is better tho respect that the character actually ages. It's ok there's enough of a legacy. Better that than another George Martin (I know completely different genres) but Martin won't let go but won't pick a successor either. I gave up on the GOT books no point.

No I didn't know that but guess that's it then. Agree the earlier run is better tho respect that the character actually ages. It's ok there's enough of a legacy. Better that than another George Martin (I know completely different genres) but Martin won't let go but won't pick a successor either. I gave up on the GOT books no point.
I didn't start reading the GOT books since they are unlikely to be finished. If they do get finished, I'll read them.
It's true that passing the writing torch is better than Martin is doing.
A good thing about the Reacher books is that they stand alone and you can read any of them and not miss too much.

Sneak peek trailer sez they are already filming Season 3. Plz don't mess this up, Amazon.:pray:

I really enjoyed season 1 and so far season 2 is pretty good. I had no idea Robert Patrick was in this. There's a Terminator reference he makes in one of his scenes that made me LMAO 🤣.
Reacher_Season_2_Robert_Patrick.jpg

I really enjoyed season 1 and so far season 2 is pretty good. I had no idea Robert Patrick was in this. There's a Terminator reference he makes in one of his scenes that made me LMAO 🤣.
I wanna binge watch so waiting....even tho I know the book it's based on anyway.

This was hilarious and his response to it was even better.
I thought it was a little bit cringy tbh. They have done a few Terminator references this season. I’m really enjoying this season but prefer the first one. Too many really daft things (like burning fake passports in an airport toilet wth??)

I thought it was a little bit cringy tbh. They have done a few Terminator references this season. I’m really enjoying this season but prefer the first one. Too many really daft things (like burning fake passports in an airport toilet wth??)
Relax it's a TV show.

I have not watched this, but I saw a pic of that monster playing Reacher and think he needs to be the next batman. Would look straight out of the Arkham video games.
That is one of the best casting ideas I’ve heard in awhile.
He could also play Ben Grimm/The Thing in the new Fantastic Four. Just coat him with the same hideous orange spray tan stuff that a certain insurrectionist uses and he's ready to go...

Back