RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looked more natural in "The Barbarian" but I still like the artsy fantasy get up from "The Destroyer".

No the long matted hair with headband/crown look was dorky. The shorter windswept hair in CTB was much cooler, as was his armor, gear, and war paint. His physique was pretty much the same in both flicks.

I was talking about...his body :lol

Actually, I read an interview he did with a fitness magazine where he talks about his body and workouts for several of his films.

In the first Conan he was very bulky with no muscle definition because the director felt that a real barbarian wouldn't spend time working out and getting muscle definition. He wanted a more natural look, so Arnold gained weight and mass and "he let himself go to 12% body fat" ...as if that was bad :lol

In the second Conan for whatever reason, he was leaner and had a lot more definition, hence why I say he was in better shape. Not bigger, just more athletic and in better overall shape.

Your taste has really been slipping these past few weeks
I dont mind that, considering where Im at :lol

f120f07d0f40431e7af71c86ec9b347e.gif
Have you ever read a Conan book that you dont believe a hollywood movie pales in comparison to REH's style and way with words?

Im not one yo say "hurr da book is betta" but in this case its true :lol

Black Mass. 9/10. Just great. Well-acted. Solid story. Kinda like The Departed ... but truer.

The Master. 5/10. Somebody recommended this as a semi-bio of complete weirdo L. Ron Hubbard. It's not horrific. Hoffman was pretty good. But, too much of it follows around Joaquin Phoenix playing an uncomfortably degenerate moron. He wasn't even the kind of degenerate that's fun to watch (like most of the characters in Black Mass, above) ... but the kind of disgusting pervert that makes your skin crawl. Not sure how close this is to Hubbard's start of the Scientology hoax, but it really wasn't worth the time. An actual bio of Hubbard would be entertaining as hell, though ... provided the Scientologists don't burn the studio to the ground. That guy was a loon.

Seven Five. 9/10. Documentary about a corrupt police precinct in Brooklyn in the 70s. Had interviews with the actual criminals, which was something. Enlightening. Entertaining. They ought to make a movie.

SnakeDoc

I absolutely love Conan the Barbarian.

If you mean the 1982 version, so do I:

Conan the Barbarian (1982): 8/10

Conan the Destroyer (1984): 5/10

The first one for me I love for a few reasons. The musical score of Basil Poledouris being a big one. Crafting a composition that really does feel as if it had been made from a time that predates Recorded History. Indeed, that soundtrack does a fantastic job of reeling me in, and keeping me invested in this movie.

James Earl Jones (who along with Max Von Syndow was one of the few chosen for acting ability over athletic capability) pretty much nailed it as the Cult Leader Thulsa Doom for me. The whole becoming a Snake thing working for me as it not only gave him a means of escape, but served to highlight how little value he placed on his followers, having left the Princess Yasimina where she lay despite her worth (as a means of securing her father's throne) to him with barely a look while he was readying himself for said escape.

Arnie's accent was an issue, hence why this Conan was a man of few words (with even those few lines requiring intensive voice coaching plus extra help from JEJ), but his athletic ability made him work in the role as it was designed. In fact, he was required to Tone Down during training, as his muscles were said to be keeping him from wielding his sword properly.

The setting I recall made keeping the fantasy elements low-key (for the most part), which for me is one reason why it's aged pretty well over the years.

CtD on the other hand, despite having a bigger budget, feels as if it had been made for half the money.

But his athletic ability made him work in the role as it was designed. In fact, he was required to Tone Down during training, as his muscles were said to be keeping him from wielding his sword properly.
This is the only thing I disagree with, there was absolutely no athletic ability from Arnie, none at all, he looked awkward, clumsy and slow, the farthest thing from the cat-like poetic flow Conan is supposed to have, but I don't fault Arnie, I don't expect any more from a body builder whose only physical skill is to lift with proper technique, but not to put those muscles to other uses, that's why body builders look funny even when they run.

Still the combat managed to be quite good, I credit that to the choreographer, director and editor, that despite Arnie's clumsiness the action managed to be somewhat exciting.

I don't know how bad Momoa's Conan movie is, I will see it soon, but I have seen a few scenes of him wielding a sword in the movie and THAT is athleticism, he really moved like a natural and skilled warrior/swordsman.

tumblr_ogynoiePRh1ta0sgeo1_500.gif

Arnie gets a pass in this movie for being Arnie, the movie is good, and I don't fault the makers for having cast him, since he was probably the only one at the time to cast for the role, but his role in the movie aged badly to the point of being one of the weaknesses of the movie.

I don't know how bad Momoa's Conan movie is, I will see it soon, but I have seen a few scenes of him wielding a sword in the movie and THAT is athleticism, he really moved like a natural and skilled warrior/swordsman.

I've never even finished watching Momoa's Conan the Barbarian. DVD Player committed Suicide halfway through, I kid you not.

Bland performance. Bad story. Weak SFX. And an uncompelling villain. That's what I got before giving up on it.

I've never even finished watching Momoa's Conan the Barbarian. DVD Player committed Suicide halfway through, I kid you not.

Bland performance. Bad story. Weak SFX. And an uncompelling villain. That's what I got before giving up on it.

:lol thats what I hear.

Although any villain looks weak compared to JEJ.

"You killed my fatha"
"Mhm must've been when I was younger" :lol

Death Race 2050 - 2/10 - Wow, this was bad bad bad. No charm at all. Poor Crixus.
The Zero Boys - 7/10
Not of This Earth - 6/10
The Legend of Tarzan - 6/10
Chopping Mall - 6/10
The Wraith - 8/10 - 80's goodness!!
Requiem for a Dream - 8/10
When Time Ran Out... - 4/10
The Accountant - 6/10 - Good but lots of misses opportunities.
Body (2015) - 5/10

Back