Rank the Middle Earth films!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a mistake though and I have my rights!

You're going to be sorry Josh, you'll see. It's only a matter of time until Peter Jackson changes the title of the first one on the boxed set releases.

Whoops, forgot to give my list:

Return of the King
Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers

Desolation of Smaug
An Unexpected Journey

Not really sure where to put The Hobbit movies. I don't have any issues with any of them, but they just don't scream "watch me again" like the LOTR trilogy does.

You get money for this?!!!

Not at all. I was just joshing. :lol

You're going to be sorry Josh, you'll see. It's only a matter of time until Peter Jackson changes the title of the first one on the boxed set releases.

The box set will be called There and Back Again. :) So you're right sort of. :lol

You didn't know? I was offered a Mod position a couple years ago but I wasn't happy with the 75K starting salary.

:lol

That's just a little lower than my offer. :lol

Not really sure where to put The Hobbit movies. I don't have any issues with any of them, but they just don't scream "watch me again" like the LOTR trilogy does.

That's one thing that I find interesting about how people feel about these movies. I've seen countless people talk about how easy it is for them to put these in because they're so much lighter (as is the book) compared to the LOTR movies/books.

Maybe that's the problem, though. They don't have as much going for them as the LOTR movies do. When I rewatch a movie like that (LOTR, Aliens, basically denser flicks rather than the lighter movies used to relax), it's because there are iconic scenes that have been engrained in my head. It's because I want to take that elaborate journey all over again and go through all the hurdles. To me, The Hobbit trilogy is nowhere near as meaty, yet they take just as long to watch. I guess that's why it turns me off.

I can't wait till Jackson remakes Fellowship into 3 separate 3 hour movies. He is king of filler material.

To me, The Hobbit trilogy is nowhere near as meaty, yet they take just as long to watch. I guess that's why it turns me off.
That is an explanation for why I feel the way I do toward Hobbit 2. No real suspense or threat. Just light action and comedy for the most part, with drama that is clearly just filler for time.

Maybe that's the problem, though. They don't have as much going for them as the LOTR movies do. When I re-watch a movie like that (LOTR, Aliens, basically denser flicks rather than the lighter movies used to relax), it's because there are iconic scenes that have been ingrained in my head. It's because I want to take that elaborate journey all over again and go through all the hurdles. To me, The Hobbit trilogy is nowhere near as meaty, yet they take just as long to watch. I guess that's why it turns me off.

There is some truth to that. The Hobbit book doesn't have nearly as much going for it as The Lord of the Rings books do. I have friends who read The Hobbit book every year or every couple but don't enjoy the experience nearly as much as when they read The Lord of the Rings books. So I get that people can feel that way about the movies. I have really enjoyed these Hobbit films. I think they're quite good and a very nice representation of the book/world created by Tolkien. That being said I think The Lord of the Rings films are better across the board.

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

Return of the King - Didn't like how the "eye" was so animated looking around. Also I didn't like how PJ never gave Legolas and Gimli as good bye (after we followed their for so long. We sure got a long ass good bye from the Hobbits.

An Unexpected Journey (the more I see the more I enjoy) - When first released people said it takes to long to get going, but after the release of DOS I enjoyed the slow starting pace. Also after watching the extra material in EE the 13 dwarves start to become individuals. Love the Misty Mountain song. I find myself (and my 7 year old son) singing this often. Also love the Goblin Song.

Desolation of Smaug - Not a big fan of the Beorn "man" design. Found the Gandalf finding the "Nine" prison part to quick. In AUJ they explain them to be deep down, but in DOS Gandalf walked in to mountain, slid down corridor and there they were! Found the Smaug chasing Dwarves a bit to long. I also found it hard to believe that for 60 years the whole Dwarf nation was cast out of the Lonely mountains but nine Dwarves could give Smaug a run for his money (why because he "got fat and slow"?)

But these are all very small issues as I LOVE all five movies and am thankful we have them in our collection to watch and love over and over again! Im a BIG FAN!!!

Hobbit should never have been 3 movies. An exercise in hubris on Jackson's part imo. Radagast is Jackson's Ja Ja Binks. After the disappointment of the first film I haven't rushed to watch the second, though I'll get to it at some point.

LoTR on the other hand I watched several times at the theatre and the Ex. Eds after that.

Hobbit should never have been 3 movies. An exercise in hubris on Jackson's part imo. Radagast is Jackson's Ja Ja Binks. After the disappointment of the first film I haven't rushed to watch the second, though I'll get to it at some point.

LoTR on the other hand I watched several times at the theatre and the Ex. Eds after that.

I really don't think it was Jackson's ego turning things into a trilogy. From everything I've seen, read, and know he really felt like he had enough material to do three films. As far as Radagast the worst thing about him is the bird poop the rest of the character is fantastic IMO.

Back