Quick and Easy Custom Weapons Room Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willworkfortoys

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this quick and easy weapons rooms recipe for everyone that is interested in making their own working pegboard weapons room backdrop. I've made this example for twelve inch figures but you can make it work for 3-3/4" figures too!

What you'll need:
Materials-
Cork Board (Purchased a set of 4 12x12 tiles at target, approx. cost 7 bucks)
Perf Board (purchased at Radio Shack, 2 for each (6"x8") for a 12x12 diorama, approx. cost 3.50 ea.)
Thin Wood or styrene strips (used as spacers and essentially covered by perf board, cost approx. 3 bucks)
Glue and Paint (This is really up to you, I used elmers and thin model grade super glue)
Additional styrene sheets, angles, tubes, etc. as you see fit to embellish the non-"peg board" area
Straight Pins (I got them out of a household sewing kit. Make sure the diameter is smaller than your perfboard holes

Tools-
Metal Straight edge
Ruler
Blade(exacto or box cutter)
Needle nose pliers w/ wire cutter

Step 1:
Take your 4 cork board tiles and glue them two thick (I used elmers liberally). I'm impatient but you should probably put some weight on them and let them dry together. If you're using scrap or other just make sure you have about half an inch of cork board to get a solid hold on your pins.

Step 2:
Put your perf board side to side with the 8" long side touching and measure out strips of styrene to reinforce them and hold them together. This will also give you a little space and depth between your perfboard and your cork board. I used styrene strips and model glue.

Step 3:
Now you can adhere your perfboard to your cork tile. I used model glue.
Notice you'll have a gap at the bottom of the board but the sides fit perfect.

Step 4:
This is where you can get a little creative. I wanted to do this quick and dirty so I just used some styrene and cut it to fit the lower portion. Then I added some shelves and a baseboard. You can do more shelves, cabinets, whatever. I used model glue for all this work.

Step 5:
Take your straight pins and bend them using the width of the needle nose as your jig. This way you can get a consistent bend. You'll see the six I did in the top right corner. Check your pin length and bend size before doing a bunch of pins to make sure they're appropriate for the size, shape, and width of accessories you intend on holding up.

Step 6:
Paint. I'm holding off on this step until I decide what colors I want to do. I recommend airbrushing or spray painting so you don't clog your perfboard holes and have to go cleaning them out one by one.

Step 7:
Display! I velcro to center them in my shelf and have a permanent place to store AND display all my extra accessories.

Hope this tutorial was helpful and gave you some ideas. All comments, criticism, and ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice. Thanks. Great way for displaying everything for military figures. I'm doing this.

I may do this for the revenger punisher figure if I get it, adds another level of cool and showcases the weapons nicely, Cool Idea!

Nice. Thanks. Great way for displaying everything for military figures. I'm doing this.

Please post the results. I want to see someones that actually has some various good accessories to store on it.

I may do this for the revenger punisher figure if I get it, adds another level of cool and showcases the weapons nicely, Cool Idea!

I hadn't even thought of getting that figure for this sole purpose but I just might now also. And then I remembered an old diorama I did...

Looks great and inexpensive to make! I'm definitely doing this for a display piece--Thanks for the step-by-step!

^^^ Badass! :rock:rock:rock

Looks great and inexpensive to make! I'm definitely doing this for a display piece--Thanks for the step-by-step!

Very cool diorama with the punisher, now I want the new figure even more:clap

Thank fellas. Please post your results daamonb!

I'm going to try and paint these this weekend. One with Cobra symbol and one with Joe symbol...but which Joe symbol should I use? Star and three stripes? Just three stripes? "G.I. Joe"? Suggestions needed!

Bringing back an older post but I wanted to show the display I set up for The Revenger. I haven't done anything with the styrene (not sure if I will) but the peg board idea is awesome.

punisher armory 2 (640x576).jpg

Excellent idea and thank you for the tutorial willworkfortoys!!!

GeneralZodLives love your dio!! I actually have some of the same weapons for my Punisher. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to incorporate the peg board next to my Punisher.

Thanks guys! Great work!

I put the pegboard on 2 pieces of 12 x 12 cork board then decided to glue the whole thing to a piece of black foam board that I was using for the detolf background. The whole background is now one solid piece with plenty of depth for pins. I may still do shelving underneath the peg board but I had an extra table so I put it in there for now.

Back