Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much where I am at. I have tried to remain hopeful but I think the nail in the coffin of my hopes was trying to watch their Wheel of Time show. I figured if that show came out well it would be a good sign for Rings but I couldn’t make it past the first few episodes even though I tried.
To be fair those are not the same showrunners and the budget and talent is way different. I always stay open minded for new things and yes some aspects are concerning but it is an adaption. Even the most beloved PJ trilogy has so many glaring omissions, invented subplots and inaccuracies. I’ll be cautiously optimistic until the show airs.

The plate armour (and modern hair styles) really got to me. I was half hoping that it’s some fake trailer to keep expectations low with a peasant surprise but I can’t imagine that ever happening.
Do you mean the existence of plate armor or the design/quality? Gondor had plate armor in TTT/ROTK films despite mail armor being the most described in the books.

Lifelong Tolkien fan here: I have absolutely no faith in The Rings of Power based off what we've seen so far. The CGI looks woeful and the costumes look really bad. Of course I'm going to give it a shot and want to be surprised but can't shake that doubt so far.

I too tried to give The Wheel of Time a go to see what Amazon could pull off in the fantasy genre and oh boy, was that a worrying wakeup call...not even my beloved Rosamund Pike could salvage it.

Hopefully Asmus will steer clear and focus on Jackson's LOTR instead...
Sorry I have trouble multi-quoting, see above post #3341.

Do you mean the existence of plate armor or the design/quality? Gondor had plate armor in TTT/ROTK films despite mail armor being the most described in the books.
not so much the existence of it but seeing the elves wearing plate armour seems off compared to the flowing armours we see in the films. Amazon said that they wanted to stay in the same universe, no?

not so much the existence of it but seeing the elves wearing plate armour seems off compared to the flowing armours we see in the films. Amazon said that they wanted to stay in the same universe, no?
Yeah it is different, however lore wise the Last Alliance forged new armor at Rivendell for three years. Why they transitioned from plate to lamellar looking cuirass is the real question. Maybe due to the loss of Eregion which was a major smithery for the elves? Rivendell by comparison was just a fraction of the craftsmanship of Ost-In-Edhil.

Yeah it is different, however lore wise the Last Alliance forged new armor at Rivendell for three years. Why they transitioned from plate to lamellar looking cuirass is the real question. Maybe due to the loss of Eregion which was a major smithery for the elves? Rivendell by comparison was just a fraction of the craftsmanship of Ost-In-Edhil.
Your knowledge runs deep! I have no idea what you’re talking about😂 and I’m genuinely impressed.👏👏👏

Your knowledge runs deep! I have no idea what you’re talking about😂 and I’m genuinely impressed.👏👏👏
I’m a huge Tolkien nerd lol! But my favorite period is the Second Age, especially the point from Eregion’s founding in 750 to the war of the elves and Sauron in 1693. It’s a fascinating time with the dwarves of Khazad-dum and the elves of Eregion under Celebrimbor having the greatest collaboration and friendship in perhaps all of Middle-earth history. Then factor in the events that occur (no need to spoil it) and it sets the stage for the major events that happen in the Second Age and even the Third Age. It also reveals much of the desires and flaws of all the races: elves, dwarves, men and Numenoreans.

I’m a huge Tolkien nerd lol! But my favorite period is the Second Age, especially the point from Eregion’s founding in 750 to the war of the elves and Sauron in 1693. It’s a fascinating time with the dwarves of Khazad-dum and the elves of Eregion under Celebrimbor having the greatest collaboration and friendship in perhaps all of Middle-earth history. Then factor in the events that occur (no need to spoil it) and it sets the stage for the major events that happen in the Second Age and even the Third Age. It also reveals much of the desires and flaws of all the races: elves, dwarves, men and Numenoreans.
😲

Even though I have my reservations I really hope they do it justice. I have been a huge Tolkien fan since I was 5 years old. I will go into it with an open mind like I did with PJ’s version of LOTR. I know it will not follow Tolkien’s writings perfectly but hopefully it follows the main themes, story, plot lines, etc. and is well written and acted and the sets and CGI are well done. If it does all those things I will consider it a win. I still love PJ’s version of LOTR and didn’t throw it out because he cut out the Old Forest, Glorfindel, scourging of the Shire, etc or because he had Arwen show up on the road to Rivendell and elves at Helms Deep, etc.

Get ready for an awesome teaser tomorrow for Rings of Power. I saw it leaked already last week and it really feels like this show will visually at least be on right track. For now here is a poster of Adar the elf being set up. He’s likely a Noldo if rumors are true. Possibly a Noldorin prince from 1st Age who was captured by Morgoth. What we do know is he is the main villain of S1 until Sauron. He may play a Saruman type role in the sense of being the immediate antagonist but not main antagonist of the series.
562FCAAE-D771-4D1B-B418-874FFB72A7A3.jpeg

Get ready for an awesome teaser tomorrow for Rings of Power. I saw it leaked already last week and it really feels like this show will visually at least be on right track. For now here is a poster of Adar the elf being set up. He’s likely a Noldo if rumors are true. Possibly a Noldorin prince from 1st Age who was captured by Morgoth. What we do know is he is the main villain of S1 until Sauron. He may play a Saruman type role in the sense of being the immediate antagonist but not main antagonist of the series.View attachment 588309
That's a nice poster!!
I'm seeing so much hate for this show BEFORE it has even begun,but I am so looking forward to it.

Was hoping the trailer would drop today as I'm from the future (Australia)😉,but what's one more day.
I missed the leak but it sounds amazing.
Hopefully someone gets the license for this show to make figures in 1/6th.

That's a nice poster!!
I'm seeing so much hate for this show BEFORE it has even begun,but I am so looking forward to it.

Was hoping the trailer would drop today as I'm from the future (Australia)😉,but what's one more day.
I missed the leak but it sounds amazing.
Hopefully someone gets the license for this show to make figures in 1/6th.
It seems like the tide is slowly changing with more info and images. The orcs are almost universally loved as well as Gil-galad. The leak was okay since it was Brazilian it was in Portuguese and the quality wasn’t the best. Hoping we get a ton of promotional images, concept art and details at SDCC since they have a booth/panel. Gil-galad and Adar look like they would make great 1/6 figures. :)

Back