Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bad mischaracterization. The showrunners have said many other things in interviews and articles praising Tolkien and treating the world with deep respect. They never said they think they know better than Tolkien. Your perspective and post is very inaccurate in all fairness. I don’t want to speculate but this type of points raised seem only popularized from various YouTubers like Nerdrotic and Critical drinker. They aren’t deeply ingrained in the lore and it shows.

The plethora of changes are necessary because unlike LOTR, the Second Age only has small contained stories like Of the Rings of Power and the Akallabeth found in the Silmarillion (which even has mistakes as Christopher Tolkien later mentioned regarding Gil-galad’s parentage) . Other than that there are tons of incomplete narratives like History of Galadriel and Celeborn in Unfinished Tales (has various versions). You also have the big issue of various versions of character stories and events. Tolkien never had a definitive version of Galadriel’s backstory and couldn’t even decide on her role in the first Kinslaying at Alqualonde or how she arrived in Middle-earth. It’s a momentous task just to have lore fans arrive at some form of consensus but even then it’s highly contested.

And to your point that PJ’s trilogy was always in the spirit of Tolkien, that’s highly subjective. One we do not have a finished product to compare to and secondly PJ’s films have huge lore changes, many character and chapter omissions and some completely invented subplots. Elrond is completely different as a character for instance and Arwen’s scenes are all invented. I would say it’s good to not be too hasty like Treebeard said and judge a product when it is finished. It’s very easy to harbor preconceptions due to cultural war distractions and fixate on minor elements.

There is plenty to be concerned about regarding the time compression (which there was in FOTR on a smaller scale). New characters are always going to be difficult because there is great potential for them to be poorly executed. There is also a lot to be excited for the practical effects, the deep lore, the PJ film aesthetics and the returning experts and artists like John Howe, Howard Shore, the accent coach, orc designer from LOTR, etc.
A damn good post sir - I heartily concur!

Don't be a FlyAndFight

"Yes..."
yes GIF.gif

Free tip - read the books to prepare, not clickbait videos or tweets. You will enjoy the show more and feel better about your day.

I much prefer the approach PJ did, and the show seemingly will do, and like Tolkien himself also stated - he created a full mythology for other people to enjoy and use as basis for their own creations like art, music, poetry etc etc. As great as the lotr movie trilogy is, it does not hold a candle to the books themselves in scope, things had to be cut and simplified. Now they're making 50 hours from much less source material, they will have to wield creative freedom. I'm not worried, they all seem very into the source material and like PJ and his team appear to be treating it with respect and a massive budget. I don't see it being bad and even if it is who cares, plenty of other shows out there and the books and movies are not going anywhere.

I don't know either... i posted the trailer here because this seems to be where all other discussion on this subject has been taking p;ace.

Back