Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Khan was an incredibly memorable villain in one of the best ever TOS episodes, so I can totally understand the reasoning behind releasing him. The only mistake I think was putting him in that boring red jumpsuit instead of the more visually striking gold outfit. As it would have made him a much more tempting figure for people to get.

Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Khan was an incredibly memorable villain in one of the best ever TOS episodes, so I can totally understand the reasoning behind releasing him. The only mistake I think was putting him in that boring red jumpsuit instead of the more visually striking gold outfit. As it would have made him a much more tempting figure for people to get.

He looks amazing as is. I doubt that the outfit was a deal breaker for that many. A simple outfit may have been to keep costs down. More complex would be more expensive and how likely would any limited extra interest cover that extra cost? I can see some logic there. Similar to producing Ilia in her iconic bath robe because it would be cheaper :p

It is hard to know what might have made the difference. Maybe a bio bed? But again the risk is more expense that is not guaranteed to translate into sales.

I would expect the other crew to be more popular than Khan, with Scotty and Uhura being more popular than Chekov and Sulu, and them in turn being more popular than Chapel and Rand. McCoy's sales being weak would be more worrying than Khan imo, although how Chapel and Rand might fare is anybody's guess. I suspect they're doomed but they were always a long shot. Chapel gets no respect!

I’d get Chapel and Rand in a heartbeat (but only after we get the rest of the crew).

I’d get Chapel and Rand in a heartbeat (but only after we get the rest of the crew).

Me too but I was so convinced we wouldn't get them after the Diamond Select disappointment I commissioned a custom Rand head at the same time I bought Kirk. Knowing that there was some hope, I commissioned her with her TMP hairdo, so if Qmx ever do the beehive, I won't have two the same.

I think the sensible thing is for them to hold back some Kirk and Spock figures and then make some of them available whenever they release a new figure to try and capitalise on renewed interest.

That’s a good idea.

Do you have pics of your Rand?

Yeah the head went on fine, although it is a tight fit. The only mod I had to make was to dremel one half of the foot peg so it could fit in the narrower Threezero socket.

Cool, thanks a lot, I think I'll start looking for a Rick body loose out there...

I was going to wait for a few more figures to come out before thinking about body swaps but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on th best options. McCoy should be about Kirk's height and a bit skinnier?

IMG_3038.JPG

Thanks for the inspiration davejames.... I found a ThreeZero Rick body easily (and cheap) on eBay and Ithink it works a treat (and I also "borrowed" your pose as I thought it captured McCoy's character perfectly).
The only thing I did different was instead of altering the pin inthe boots, I swapped the ankle extenders on the body for the pair I took off HT Finn, since these had a larger socket... and if I ever want to put him back on the original body I should be able to easily.
On the skinnier body, I think the head is much better proportioned too.

Awesome, looks great! Now we just need to find a new body for Spock. Seems like most of the slim bodies out there are just too short for him for some reason.

Made a quick search for the 3zero Rick Grimes body and found zero...

I've used a VTS body for my Spock. There are plenty on eBay and resemble the damtoys Rick body. It is slim and a decent height and fits the character well.

I've used a VTS body for my Spock. There are plenty on eBay and resemble the damtoys Rick body. It is slim and a decent height and fits the character well.

Is it too tall for McCoy?

Could you maybe share a pic of what that looks like? And is that the body from the "Darkzone Agent"? That's the only neckless one I see on eBay with a slim looking body...

It is the darkzone agent body. I'm not at home at the moment, not in the best of health. I don't know when I could get some pics for you. But it is definitely an improvement on the stock body.

Anybody know of a good body with seamless arms for McCoy in the medical tunic?

Back