Predator 2 City Hunter - Prime 1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to return a jacket to china a few weeks ago, cheapest shipping was $100. Not sure how/if that applies to japan, but dang, you have to count the return shipping as a loss, right?
This was through Secret Compass, based in Colorado. Will see what my options are.

Spoke too soon. Upon close inspection, I noticed some slivers along the forehead pattern. They look like cracks and, sure enough, the decal is chipping off. What came off is maybe half a millimeter in diameter, but with all of these cracks, those spots will start to add up in time.

View attachment 565917

Touching up the cracks and coating the unsealed areas with Mod Podge should take care of the issue, but as many have said including myself: sealing the bloody thing is a fundamental step when painting FFS.

Guess we're back to the drawing board. As much as I love the look of this thing, do I take it upon myself to complete the production process (because let's face it, that's what I'd be doing)? Do I send it for an exchange (which will probably still need some form of sealer)? Or do I call the whole thing off and return for a refund?

Not a decision I should have to make, that's for sure.

EDIT: The body has them, too. Even the thighs, which look to be glossed. Bigger chips coming off.

View attachment 565988

****ing hell. This hurts. I really love this piece aside from the QC. Can't believe something this beautiful has these kinds of easily-avoidable problems. This wasn't supposed to be a fixer-upper.

In the hands of a better company, this sculpt and pose would've made for a truly special statue. But as usual... the wrong company got the license.

Sorry about this bud - REALLY sorry - after your long wait (and the money paid!) you deserved much better!

Another reminder why I will never buy ANYTHING from PRIME1.

Shipping it back to SC for an exchange. They'd rather swap out the whole thing than replace individual parts. :dunno

I've made peace with the fact that I'll have to do some sort of sealing or corrective paintwork here and there, but I'd like the best starting point I can get. Fixing a few chipped spots on the thighs won't be too stressful on account of there being lots of bumps and crevices to hide any color-matching mistakes. It's the tiny cracks all over the forehead that I'd rather not have to address.

As pissed as I am at Prime 1's lack of QC, my collection feels a little boring with this statue back in its box. Hope the next one I unpack will be worth keeping.

Last edited:
Mine arrived today, number 281/350. Thankfully mine has no damage what so ever so I am relieved and I'm sorry to those that have had faults. I was so worried about unboxing this as I really wanted to love this statue and thankfully all good. Only disappointment is I had to rebox as I'm moving very soon. I now have to unbox the jungle hunter over the next few days. Finger crossed again all will be fine.

Sorry to hear Blade, and I hope you get a better replacement than what you just sent back, but be prepared to have to seal this sucker from head to toe on his skin. There's really no other way, which is sad I guess, as it was one step away from being perfect from the factory.

Got my replacement from Secret Compass today, number 97. I guess matching the year the film takes place was a good omen; only a few minor gripes with this one. Thighs have some spots where paint or decals look particularly dense, those will be trouble later if not protected. The planted left hand isn't sealed and looks to be developing a small crack, but fortunately hasn't chipped yet.

Head looks good and that was my biggest concern with the previous one. Glad to report there are no cracks or slivers of missing paint on the head. Finish is nice and glossy, too.

Overall, it's an improvement and one I'll stick with. Damn Prime 1 for coming up with such a great concept at such a low point in their manufacturing career. :lol

EDIT: Found it amusing that the instructions warn not to touch the netting for fear of damaging the paint on the skin. Why don't Hot Toys Predators come with such a warning? Makes you think.

Last edited:
Congrats mate! I can see how tough it was for you deciding whether you should let it go or give it another try. Glad it turned out good, always nice to have a winner in the trophy cabinet.

Got my replacement from Secret Compass today, number 97. I guess matching the year the film takes place was a good omen; only a few minor gripes with this one. Thighs have some spots where paint or decals look particularly dense, those will be trouble later if not protected. The planted left hand isn't sealed and looks to be developing a small crack, but fortunately hasn't chipped yet.

Head looks good and that was my biggest concern with the previous one. Glad to report there are no cracks or slivers of missing paint on the head. Finish is nice and glossy, too.

Overall, it's an improvement and one I'll stick with. Damn Prime 1 for coming up with such a great concept at such a low point in their manufacturing career. :lol

EDIT: Found it amusing that the instructions warn not to touch the netting for fear of damaging the paint on the skin. Why don't Hot Toys Predators come with such a warning? Makes you think.

Glad it finally got sorted out to a level of acceptance for you.

It's amazing to think that a company that started so well has now devolved to the point where it's more of a lottery buying off them than it is Sideshow.

Looked at it this morning in proper light with fresh eyes. Noticed more cracks on the arms and feet and the netting is torn on the knee.

This is getting old.

Looked at it this morning in proper light with fresh eyes. Noticed more cracks on the arms and feet and the netting is torn on the knee.

This is getting old.
Honestly made in China level of hit and miss mediocre quality actually ended my Predator statue collecting endeavors. I would be willing to pay up to a grand for a Chinese rubber dog **** flying out of Hong Kong but that's it!! No way I am paying thousands of dollars for something so half baked. Buying die cast airplanes and model railway is far less stressful with the final product much closer to the prototype photos. You guys are paying for this ultra premium products made in ultra low wage high volume slave labor camps. I feel sorry for everyone out there and cannot stop thinking what a fiasco the 1/3 "grail" release will be with the same crappy QC!! Blade just return it as much as you love the design with each passing day you will discover more and more cracks, bubbles and other imperfections that will totally destroy your enjoyment with this statue. Japanese design team + Chinese illiteracy within the production team = one real bummed customer...

Oh sorry to hear you've got a few more issues. They weren't common on this, I guess you got unlucky. I had similar luck with most of my Sideshow orders tbh so I do know that sinking feeling well. I've been mostly lucky with my Prime 1 stuff so far, they've been a much better experience for me than Sideshow ever were, much nicer producst in hand also. But I don't want to speak too soon as my 1/3 Big chap is due on Tuesday and that thing is pot luck.

If you won't touch it than it won't get worse right? I am seriously thinking about sealing mine home with a gloss coat.

Jake's got a point. Discovering a few cracks on the first day and slowly learning to accept it (ugh) is one thing, but I can see myself really hating this if it keeps deteriorating. Historically it's been better for me to just walk away. There's also the principled argument that nothing about this experience has been "premium" other than SC's customer service.

If you won't touch it than it won't get worse right? I am seriously thinking about sealing mine home with a gloss coat.
Think that's a given with this piece. I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I wonder if those who say their statue has no issues just aren't looking closely enough. There are a lot of areas that look fine in normal light (natural or artificial), but once you shine a flashlight you'll see hairline cracks, gooped-up chunks of paint, perhaps even air pockets. The construction on this seems inherently flawed. High edition number, low edition number, doesn't make a difference. Maybe it's something to do with how long this spent waiting in a box before being opened? Then again I've seen reviews from folks who received theirs last summer who had some issues as well.

Sealing should improve the situation, but a full repaint is the only way I'd be sure. Probably after scrubbing away the loose bits to ensure a solid foundation for the new coat.

Last edited:
Jake's got a point. Discovering a few cracks on the first day and slowly learning to accept it (ugh) is one thing, but I can see myself really hating this if it keeps deteriorating. Historically it's been better for me to just walk away. There's also the principled argument that nothing about this experience has been "premium" other than SC's customer service.

Think that's a given with this piece. I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I wonder if those who say their statue has no issues just aren't looking closely enough. There are a lot of areas that look fine in normal light (natural or artificial), but once you shine a flashlight you'll see hairline cracks, gooped-up chunks of paint, perhaps even air pockets. The construction on this seems inherently flawed. High edition number, low edition number, doesn't make a difference. Maybe it's something to do with how long this spent waiting in a box before being opened? Then again I've seen reviews from folks who received theirs last summer who had some issues as well.

Sealing should improve the situation, but a full repaint is the only way I'd be sure. Probably after scrubbing away the loose bits to ensure a solid foundation for the new coat.

Honestly? - it's down to the company overextending themselves, and getting to the point where there are not enough talented/caring people on the assembly & QC lines.

It really is that simple. All about the pennies at the end of the day.

While I hope that everyone still ordering from them gets something they are happy with, I'm with Jake in that I'm VERY concerned about those dropping thousands on their 1:3 pieces. They seem to have got into a routine as regards manufacturing & assembly approach on Predators, and i don't see it changing any time soon.

And that's WITHOUT having to deal with high shipping prices on top of high base prices, and their crappy idea of Customer Service.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but apparently even the reddish stripes on the thighs (the soft airbrush-like coloring beneath the black spots) are decals. If you look really closely with a flashlight, you can see the print pattern.

Is anything on this statue painted by hand? Other than the few poorly color-matched blotches they added to cover up decal errors? I wonder what Prime 1 must have done to get stuck with such crummy factories.

It's frustrating that the 1/4 JH and CH got loaded off to substandard factories yet the 1/4 fugitive (which practically no one has a care for the character) possibly got given a 'better' factory. At this rate, the 1/3 is going to be a mess, so many things can go wrong.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but apparently even the reddish stripes on the thighs (the soft airbrush-like coloring beneath the black spots) are decals. If you look really closely with a flashlight, you can see the print pattern.

Is anything on this statue painted by hand? Other than the few poorly color-matched blotches they added to cover up decal errors? I wonder what Prime 1 must have done to get stuck with such crummy factories.
All their Predators are done with decals. I think only the base skin tone is painted and then it's decals on top. Probably so they can pump them out quicker and less chance of mistakes. It's disappointing for sure.

Back