Photography

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for an update. Last week we had our state fair, and there was a cool dinosaur exhibit. These photos aren't necessarily awesome because of their composition, but they were all taken inside the exhibit tent, in very low lighting, handheld, with no flash (I wanted to preserve the colors of the spotlights they used, and flash would have masked them too much). Every day I am more amazed by the power that Canon has packed into the S90. I doubt I could have reproduced these shots with anything other camera that is less than a DSLR. Oh, I forgot to mention that the dinosaurs were animatronic, and all full scale.

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

These last two were taken while visiting some friends at their farm this weekend. It was a very stormy day, but I managed to get out long enough to get these before the downpour started.

IMG_0526.jpg

For this one, I played around a bit in Photoshop to try my hand at some different aging techniques.
IMG_0540a.jpg

Amazed that you were able to get that crisp of shots in that low of light. I don't care how great te camera is, you have a stedy hand! Nice work!

RoboDad, I love that last shot - it's beautiful!

As for me, I've been trying some new things lately, so I did some self portraits. Here are the best ones, IMO. I'm trying to branch out, by still focusing on nature, but getting better at some other subjects as well.

4939167595_a51e3827da.jpg

4939752670_419f6b4b8a.jpg

4939753242_ab33950dfd.jpg

RoboDad, I love that last shot - it's beautiful!
Thanks! I'm very happy with the way that one turned out. It boggles my mind that I was able to capture it with a pocket-sized camera.

Your foray into self portraits is very good! Of the three you posted, I think this one is by far the best. Excellent composition, and the position of the lighting adds superb depth.

I would be curious to see how that one would work if you added a slight reflector effect on the opposite side. Just a solid white card, nothing more reflective than that.

I would be curious to see how that one would work if you added a slight reflector effect on the opposite side. Just a solid white card, nothing more reflective than that.

Thanks for the compliments. Though, I don't know anything about portraits, or lighting, or "slight reflector effect." :monkey1

Studio lighting is probably the most complex, confusing, and difficult to master element of photography.

Outdoor lighting is relatively easy (unless you're shooting fashion models or other controlled subjects). Nature provides the lighting. All we have to do is recognize when it is at its best for the shot we want to take. In the studio you are in complete control. It can be as amazing or as flat as you make it. And it can take years to master. I've been studying it and practicing with it for several years, and I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

For your shot, I would just use a rectangular piece of pure white poster board, and set it up to reflect the light from your main light source onto the opposite side of your face - just enough to give some slight definition to your eye and cheekbone. Remember the basic inverse square law of light, and you can use it to control how much light reaches your face.

This is my view of a post apocalyptic Alien invasion....

Lotsa Photoshop in here...but like CGI, I only use it to enhance the world I created. So I guess enjoy?

FUTURE5.jpg

FUTURE2.jpg

Future1.jpg

FUTURE3.jpg

FUTURE4.jpg

(Btw, the scar on my friend's face is not real....just Photoshoppin)

FUTURE6.jpg

Thanks. I would not have been able to do that when I was 45. But now, at 46, I have the patience and maturity to be able to get those shots.

Either that or there was a hell of a lot of luck involved.:)

I thought as much. Maybe in six years I'll have the patience and maturity to be able to get shots as good as you. Dang, you will be REALLY old, then.

Back