Per LEGO, Disney is dropping the name "Slave 1".

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youbastards

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.thebrickfan.com/disney-asked-lego-to-rename-new-lego-star-wars-slave-i-set/
Speaking at Fan Media Days, LEGO Star Wars Design Director Jens Kronvold Frederiksen said that Disney have asked for the Slave I to be renamed Boba Fett’s Starship, as noted by Jedi News. It was also stated that dropping the Slave I name is “probably not something which has been announced publicly but it is just something that Disney doesn’t want to use any more.”

Does Lego Boba Fett still have his Wookiee scalps? 🤔

(Appears this has already been rewritten as Wookiee hair or Jedi braids).

In the bad old days of the wild universe that George built:

"7. Wookiee Scalps" -- Description of Boba Fett's costume in Bantha Tracks #5 (1979)

"I got into the costume and I put the helmet on. There were lots of little gadgets and knee pads and the boots had two little jets on the toes. I thought, 'This looks rather good!' There was a jet pack, too. I found what I thought was my hair so I put it on underneath the helmet, hanging down. When I came out to show George Lucas, he said, 'What's that funny thing sticking out of your helmet?' I said, 'Isn't it the character's hair?' 'No,' said George, 'it's a Wookiee scalp -- it's supposed to be tied to your belt!'" -- Jeremy Bulloch, as quoted in Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine #21 (Winter 1994)

"Braided Wookiee scalps hang over his right shoulder." -- Kenner POTF2 Boba Fett figure cardback (1995)

"Braided wookiee pelt trophies." -- Sideshow Premium Boba Fett figure (2007) and Sideshow Bronze Boba Fett statue (2010)

https://www.bobafettfanclub.com/boards/topic/4688/is-that-a-padawan-braid-or-wookie-hair/

Last edited:
The further in time we move away from when slavery (American) occurred, the more people seem to be triggered by the word. Crazy times.

******* SJW morons. Better re-name the damn franchise then. Star Conflicts.

Minor Disagreements in Space, a series of nine family friendly movies!

Don't miss...

Episode I: The Phantom Puppy

Episode II: Friendship of the Clones

Episode III: Forgiveness of the Sith

Episode IV: A New Puppy

Episode V: The Empire Likes Back

Episode VI: Return of the Puppy

Episode VII: The Puppy Awakens

Episode VIII: Not the Last Puppy

Episode IX: The Rise of the Kitten

Last edited:
I'm more surprised that anyone is even remotely surprised by this than the fact that Disney did this. I was expecting it years ago.

I have no doubt there are tweets calling the name "problematic" going back at least a decade, but I have better things to do than infest myself with SJW twitter AIDS.

It's a strange paradox.

On the one hand while people are desperate to highlight injustice, the same people want to erase references to it from media so there's nothing left to highlight that injustice actually exists or once existed.

It's like putting a sheet over something so polite society doesn't have to see it. Historical and contemporary injustice is still there. Hiding it from view does nothing to cure the cause, and does nothing to encourage a potential enquiring mind to undertake their own investigation into ethics or history.

It serves more to cause a stronger reaction to the change they demand.

I remember when this started, when suddenly certain groups of people were saying you weren't supposed to refer to a 'black' rubbish bag, or a 'man' hole cover in a road.

It's so forced and fake. All this nervous tiptoeing around subjects, rather than letting things stand as a testimony either to their time, or to the characters themselves.

Is it because Boba Fett is now becoming more of a role model, rather than the cold hearted, faceless killer he was originally? The name of his ship has become problematic, with the implication of slavery. If characters can no longer portray mixed messages, can no longer be grey, but ironically black or white, where does that leave the quality of story telling itself?

But...he still shoots people...
Optics matter more than internal logic. Yeah, sure, he, like, kills people, but, like, he's not making them slaves or, like, something. He like, shoots them and whatever, that's okay.
If characters can no longer portray mixed messages, can no longer be grey, but ironically black or white, where does that leave the quality of story telling itself?
Nothing, it'll be cases of "goodies" versus "baddies" and that'll be it. The "goodies" will espouse every political opinion of [current day], regardless of in-universe logic or characterization, and the "baddies" will have views that are the exact opposite of the former ones.

I'm not surprised, really. It's the same as those comics and movies where the genocidal villain/murderer/serial killer runs across some [insert political ideology and/or society that has been deemed racist/sexist] and he looks down on them, because sure, he might get off torturing people but at least he doesn't use slurs, dammit! Boba's marketable again, and SW is owned by Disney, so his evil acts have to be reduced to killing, maiming and generally causing harm, not doing any no-no things.

It's just how things are. I'd say "these days", but it's been going on for years and years. It's basic marketing. For me, the most hilarious thing is how they're treating the Empire/First Order. On one hand they're stand-ins for White Supremacist/Racist Sexist Authoritarian/Whatever Institutions, and on the other they're filled with all the colours of the rainbow across all ranks because "inclusivity". It's such a glorious trainwreck.

Nothing, it'll be cases of "goodies" versus "baddies" and that'll be it. The "goodies" will espouse every political opinion of [current day], regardless of in-universe logic or characterization, and the "baddies" will have views that are the exact opposite of the former ones.
LOL...."baddies"....

1624877426315.jpeg

Just reminds me how Disney "retired" Slave Leia several years ago, cause it was SOOO sexist and misogynist and literally rape.....and they said that if there was ever any merchandise with her in that costume again it was gonna be called "Huttslayer Leia" cause that's so fierce and badass and empowering.

I doubt that very many people that aren't 43 year old virgins like me (and all of you!) even knew that Boba Fett's ship was even called the Slave 1. It'll always be the Slave 1 to me, but obviously Disney can't risk upsetting all those fragile people on twitter.

LOL...."baddies"....

View attachment 529636

Just reminds me how Disney "retired" Slave Leia several years ago, cause it was SOOO sexist and misogynist and literally rape.....and they said that if there was ever any merchandise with her in that costume again it was gonna be called "Huttslayer Leia" cause that's so fierce and badass and empowering.

I doubt that very many people that aren't 43 year old virgins like me (and all of you!) even knew that Boba Fett's ship was even called the Slave 1. It'll always be the Slave 1 to me, but obviously Disney can't risk upsetting all those fragile people on twitter.
I never thought I'd see the day where giant conglomerates would pander to a small minority on an internet platform, but here we are... It's just best to slowly cut ties with most, if not all, pop culture. I'd say that they can't take away what's already set in stone, but obviously they can edit it all, so... I think we should all just stop buying their products, but we're too attached it seems. It's not like the ones screaming at everything buy anything. I was on Tumblr since the beginning. The only ones who bought their comics were the same old people. The "new wave" was begging for links to pirate. They'd only buy a Funko at best. Forums, the same. Hot Toys were like mythical beasts to them. It's just perplexing to see them disregard the actual buyers in favour of them. But I suppose they take us for granted. And in many ways we are.

Back