Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

The cockpit suit makes the Engineer look bigger.
537698_10150887070401376_2072944761_n.jpg

576931_10150887070296376_1670436431_n.jpg

Amazing imagery! I so want a action figure box set of this someday! :pray:

Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

It's great! I love it. I don't know if it's worth 40 bucks....but I love Alien so much, it kinda is.

A couple more random ponderings:

If the Zeti Reticuli system is 39 light years away and it only takes the Prometheus crew 2 years to get there, wouldn't that mean they were traveling at about 20 times the speed of light?:horror

Lost never truly grabbed me and I never gave it a chance. Since one of the screenwriters for Prometheus wrote for Lost as well, did any of you Lost fans see similarities in the movie? Moreover, did you like them?

One annoying thing I've noticed about every single sci-fi prequel out there: the technology always looks so much more advanced than the movies they're supposed to predate. Technically Star Wars had an excuse for this but it was still kind of jarring.

Did there need to be an all powerful android in this movie? He looked like he could melt the faces off Ash and Bishop! All he really did was provide an easy out for the writers when they wanted to show something about the Engineers.

WTF is that again?

That's a Goblin Shark.

Speaking of squid, humans and reproduction:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21834723

What happened to the Engineer times 1,000,000!
Jesus. But thats what happens when you eat weird crap all day. Get some sausage and mash down you. Say no to Bird Fetus and cockroach on a stick. Turn down the side portion of still conscious monkey brain and wriggling octopus.

What would have happened if Shaw somehow saved the engineer from the giant face-hugger?

I would imagine he still would have killed her. She was the one that let it out to attack him, so I don't think he would be too grateful or anything if she then decided to save him. I mean, if someone intentionally set a dog on me and then pulled the dog off I would still be pretty pissed they set the dog on me to begin with.

I would imagine he still would have killed her. She was the one that let it out to attack him, so I don't think he would be too grateful or anything if she then decided to save him. I mean, if someone intentionally set a dog on me and then pulled the dog off I would still be pretty pissed they set the dog on me to begin with.

Oh right. K then :monkey1

Instead of old man makeup, they could've just cast the part age appropriate or used two different actors if you really needed Pearce to look his current age

Finally saw this last night in spectacular 3D. Wow. The wife and I loved it. Seeing a new Ridley Scott "Alien" movie for the first time in 30 years was a bit surreal and I'm still digesting everything. I am reminded of how IrishJedi felt right after seeing KOTCS for the first time.

But this was no KOTCS, it was a great film.

Not perfect, in fact I do have some slight initial issues with it.

1. I wish it was more of a direct prequel to Alien, instead Prometheus almost felt like a reboot/remake. Why go to the trouble of having everything happen on an "LV" planet with a space jockey derelict and NOT have it be LV-426 and THE derelict? Why go to the trouble of orchestrating events so that Shaw can leave a distress signal if it isn't THE beacon that one day contacts the Nostromo? These things didn't hurt the compartmentalized story in the events of "Prometheus" but I would have been more impressed as a fan of the series if they'd cleverly tied it all together a little better. Maybe Scott was afraid of hurting his original film and wanted people to still have they mystery of what caused THAT derelict to go bad and that beacon to go out? Perhaps, and not necessary a poor decision I suppose, I just got excited that this movie would have connected itself a little more neatly.

2. Idris Elba's line about the planet being a military munitions depot seemed a little premature and contrived and catered to the lowest common denominator in the audience, IMO.

3. Didn't Alien vs. Predator already try the "Weylan himself tags along with the mission" gag? I get that Prometheus rightly ignores any "canon" of AVP but adopting one of its principle ideas seems likely a risky move if they're trying to distance themselves from that drek as much as possible.

and lastly

4. They showed too much in the trailers! "Its going to earth," "If we don't stop it there won't be an earth to return to," and then two ships crashing together. Come on guys! You think we can't piece together that they crash the Prometheus into the engineer ship to stop it from departing?

Otherwise the movie was sublime, and felt almost Kubrickian in its return to 60's/70's style sci-fi pacing, production design and cinematography.

Noomi's Elizabeth Shaw was pitch perfect and on par with the legendary Ellen Ripley. Some great takes on old themes, the movie really kept me on my toes (other than the aforementioned ship collision) and I can't wait to soak it in further.

2. Idris Elba's line about the planet being a military munitions depot seemed a little premature and contrived and catered to the lowest common denominator in the audience, IMO.
That was probably put in there so people would have a better idea of what the planet's purpose was.

I can't remember what he says exactly, but the way Janek said it, it seemed more like an estimated guess. Like his own theory based on what he's seen. The ampules, the ooze, the piled up dead Engineers, the hologram..and I think it was right after the mutated Fifield scene.

3. Didn't Alien vs. Predator already try the "Weylan himself tags along with the mission" gag? I get that Prometheus rightly ignores any "canon" of AVP but adopting one of its principle ideas seems likely a risky move if they're trying to distance themselves from that drek as much as possible.
There were actually many more similarities between the two movies...but the difference is that Prometheus got it right. :lol

Jesus. But thats what happens when you eat weird crap all day. Get some sausage and mash down you. Say no to Bird Fetus and cockroach on a stick. Turn down the side portion of still conscious monkey brain and wriggling octopus.

but where's the fun in that?

Wow, I just read through a fair amount of complaints against this movie.

Easily the best R-rated sci-fi thriller in over a quarter of a century and people are rolling their eyes and saying how it compares unfavorably to AvP. Wow...

Wow, I just read through a fair amount of complaints against this movie.

Easily the best R-rated sci-fi thriller in over a quarter of a century and people are rolling their eyes and saying how it compares unfavorably to AvP. Wow...
Well, now you know why the Engineers want to exterminate us. :lol

Back