Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy (BB/TDK/TDKR)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind Bruce being Batman for only a year. It plays into the "creating a legend" motif that became bigger than who he really was and what he really did. And even though the Nolan flicks are fantasy it allows them to have a little more illusion of "realism" by not having a guy in a silly bat costume constantly getting the best of both criminals and cops for a decade or more. Spooking the crooks for a few months and surprising the cops with a tumbler they never knew existed and then a flying Bat they never new existed feel like tricks that would probably only legitimately work once or twice.

I get why people would be put off by the idea because of their own preferences for the character of Batman but in the Nolanverse I thought it worked.

I don't mind Bruce being Batman for only a year. It plays into the "creating a legend" motif that became bigger than who he really was and what he really did. And even though the Nolan flicks are fantasy it allows them to have a little more illusion of "realism" by not having a guy in a silly bat costume constantly getting the best of both criminals and cops for a decade or more. Spooking the crooks for a few months and surprising the cops with a tumbler they never knew existed and then a flying Bat they never new existed feel like tricks that would probably only legitimately work once or twice.

I get why people would be put off by the idea because of their own preferences for the character of Batman but in the Nolanverse I thought it worked.

Good point Khev… Perhaps I would not have minded it as much if the film was better for me. Its not a bad film mind you but a very big step down from the first two IMO.. Thus the things that bother me stand out to me more and end up effecting my overall enjoyment of the series.

For me TDKR falls off a lot. When I rate them I try to think of them as individual films but of I think of it as a whole the scores might drop a bit because TDKR hut the legend of the Bat for me.

Anyways as individuals

BB 9 out of 10
TDK 10 out 10
TDKR 6 out of 10
Most of that score for TDKR is due to Tom Hardy, the 1st Appearance of Batman, and the 1st Batman vs Bane fight.

Now my first viewing I thought the film was great. Loved many things about it.. But the film really went down with just my 2nd viewing. Cheesy moments really stuck out, some really bad acting, Mathew Modine, and yes the lack of being the Bat. I also find the Broad daylight "Enter the Dragon" fight to be just goofy. Night time setting would have helped a lot.

But I still remember how much I did love it so I understand why people still stand behind it.

Its not a film I typically dump on.

I could listen to Nolan talking of filmmaking for hours on end, heck I'd want to take filmography/directing lessons from him just for the sake of it.

I love this trailer because it has alternate Joker laughs and line delivery not in the actual movie. I much prefer the way he said, " Where is Harvey Dent? I'll settle for his love one" in this trailer over the final film version.

I love how they used the DX02 in the thumbnail for that first video.

:lol Maybe they didn't know it was the DX02 and just a random image of Batman

I love this trailer because it has alternate Joker laughs and line delivery not in the actual movie. I much prefer the way he said, " Where is Harvey Dent? I'll settle for his love one" in this trailer over the final film version.

Good find!

Anyway, I was not against Ledger at all. In fact, I had no idea that his casting was poorly received. Now, he wasn't my firt or even 10th choice to play Joker, but I was excited to see what he could do because he had just been nominated for an Oscar for best actor for Broke Back Mountain and I'd seen him in films like the Lords of Dogtown, so I knew he was going to be interesting. I also trusted Nolan.

The very first photo of him was truly shocking and he looked far scarier than he did in the final film. I had no doubts after seeing the photo. However, he ended up being far closer to the comic Joker both in look and personality than I had imagined from looking at the photo below.

12lwa8k.jpg

I saw this comment from 2007 in an old article.

"THEY SHOULD DUMP IT I HATE THE NEW JOKER -- THEY SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN ADRIEN BRODY -- HE LOOKS CLOSER TO WHAT THE JOKER MAY HAVE LOOKED LIKE BEFORE THE DISFIGUREMENT -- PLUS BRODY IS A GREAT ACTOR, MUCH BETTER THAN THE OTHER GUY I HATE MAGGY GYLLENHALL PREDICTION IN SUM = BOX OFFICE BOMB"

Hearing his voice for the first time in the teaser was also just as shocking, because he sounded truly crazy and dangerous, and nothing like Ledger.

I remember how Ledger's performance really impressed me and realizing that the film and not just the Knight was truly "dark".

I eventually started collecting the line from Hot Toys, as well.

I remember the first ht joker looking awful

I memba that!!

Memba this magazine scan? Milk magazine I think it was called?

ed6aC51.jpg
n3fFf96.jpg
wddrpKm.jpg

I remember going to a local comic/collectible store and the owner took me to the back room and showed me the bank robber joker and the TDK Bats figure. He said, "Check these out. These are a sight to behold." Then I went back outside and saw the DC Direct TDK Joker. :lol

I don’t know how many people heard “check these out they are a sight to behold” in the back room of a comic shop but I think you dodged a bullet, statistically speaking.

Back