No Hot Toys Oldman Gordon - Explained

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there has been Scarecrow figures released, not sure if there's been any with a Cillian likeness, but Mattel definitely released a masked Scarecrow. Beyond that, and again it's only my speculation, but I think a lot of studios learnt a lot from Lucas about the need to - even if just to be on the safe side - include merchandising likeness rights in actors' contracts. Even if it's just because they want to put an image on a lunch box, or in a colouring book, or whatever, I just can't see them not covering themselves by locking these rights in.

Lucas is an independent though, and his strategy and mindset is different. WB and FOX and all the big studios are very corporate and I'm sure look to maximize their profits. We know Lucas and other companies secure certain rights for marketing reasons, but we don't know whether that to an extent includes extra money, so if it costs you a bit extra to add into Oldman's contract that his likeness is theirs for marketing, they'll mull it over as a business decision and go from there. As much as I want an HT Gordon, if I were a company having to decide whether or not to invest in the ability to make products of the character, I'd opt to save the cash and pass. The stats would probably all favor that only a small group would support it and that group wouldn't be worth making an investment to satisfy. WB is making s boat load of merchandising cash off Ledger, Bale and Eckhart's likenesses, what little Gordon would bring is probably 5% of all that, so I'm sure they're not broken up about it. It sucks for us as collectors. Some properties, you can just feel a gamble that you could sell toys or whatever of any character from, like Star Wars, but something like Batman, your best success will come from the few principle characters. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a Gordon figure being made in any Batman line, does anyone know if there's ever been an official Gordon figure in any size from any rendition? I bet if there has been, it's less than half a dozen, with many Jokers and Batmans out there.

Hot Toys makes likeness sculpts all the time for their military figures and non licensed figures. They also coincedently make SWAT figures. Don't be shocked to see a SWAT figure with a Oldman likeness.

There has been a couple, but like you said not a lot.

BatmanHush3CommishGordon.jpg

gordon.jpg

gordon.jpg

2390800194.jpg

The Hush Figure made a huge deal because it was the first DC Direct Gordon and for a moment was hard to stock. People ended up ordering too many then it began to rot. If HT is smart and keeps the edition size fairly low they could make a killing offering a Gordon.

So let me get this straight. Hot Toys will still release some more figures from the TDK line even though they have released 5 figures? Is the source of this news reliable? And has there been any word about which character they'll be releasing next on the market?

Personally, I'm kinda hoping either Alfred or Lucius Fox to be their next.

Nothing against Spencer or Chris or any of the other talented Sculptors we have here but after looking at my unfinished Andy Bale Head sculpt its too bad we can't commission him to do an Oldman sculpt.

The Spencer head is actually very good. I need to get it painted by one of our professionals but the likeness is Oldman all the way.

The Spencer head is actually very good. I need to get it painted by one of our professionals but the likeness is Oldman all the way.
:lecture

Les told me his painted Spencer Gordon head looks great. And it comes with etched metal glasses. Anyway, that's my plan.

Spencer Gordon head FML painted.

Les should be posting pics of his completed Gordon fig soon, can't wait.

Well because of this, I want to see Ra's, and Scarecrow.

I could care less of other releases they make.

C'mon Scarecrow :rock

And I agree about doing a "SWAT team member" with a likeness similar to Gordon's, or maybe just a cheap, nude body release. I figure they could also do this with the Governator's likeness, and release separate movie-accurate outfits with generic heads that could be switched out with those. I mean, they found a way around the "no Predator toys" license by creating their "poseable model kits". . .

I had exactly the same thought regarding the Gordon head on a SWAT4.0 or something like that. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back