Premium Format New Sideshow Spider-Man (Comic) PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since people keep on wondering/asking. This piece is expected to be made of polystone. I've confirmed this a few times in the past with our production team and again today as well. If it has to change (which is doubtful), we'll let customers know beforehand in order for them to make an informed decision as to whether to keep their pre-order or not. But as of today this piece is going forward as polystone specific.

-SideshowAlex

Thak you so much Alex... great to get the info

Really curious to see if Sideshow prices this close to $500.

If they do I think it will seriously knock quite a lot of people out of the hobby. The pricing of Arkham Batman/Joker can probably be justified because of them likely needing the Rocksteady license (much like the Machiko jump for the AvP license), but the Red Son jump was bizarre and completely uncalled for. The last main baseline was $399.99, and somehow a good number of the guesses are all upwards of $470+ for this.

The next logical jump would be somewhere around $430-450...and I think $450 is pushing it. The reasoning some give around them seeing what XM is pricing their pieces for doesn't work for me, as XM sells thousands and thousands less of each statue. I think their top ES is something like 999. They're competition, sure, but they're also in another bracket and not available to most. Sideshow wants to appeal to the masses, but even at $450 you're looking at $500+ after shipping and all is said and done -- and that doesn't even include customs/exchange for international customers.

If they do I think it will seriously knock quite a lot of people out of the hobby. I justified the pricing of Arkham Batman/Joker because of them likely needing the Rocksteady license (much like the Machiko jump for the AvP license), but the Red Son jump was bizarre and completely uncalled for. The last main baseline was $399.99, and somehow a good number of the guesses are all upwards of $470+ for this.

The next logical jump would be somewhere around $430-450...and I think $450 is pushing it. The reasoning some give around them seeing what XM is pricing their pieces for doesn't work for me, as XM sells thousands and thousands less of each statue. I think their top ES is something like 999. They're competition, sure, but they're also in another bracket and not available to most. Sideshow wants to appeal to the masses, but even at $450 you're looking at $500+ after shipping and all is said and done -- and that doesn't even include customs/exchange for international customers.

Agree the Red Son pricing is bizarre, no idea how that one got clocked in at that price. :lol

I'm going to assume a ballpark $500 price tag has nothing to do with XM, as I think it's best not to even draw comparisons at this point so I'm no going to go there. ;)

If the statue is indeed a completely polystone sculpt from base to figure and everything in between, I'd guess that factors into a higher cost as many are estimating. The popularity of the character may also play into it, as Sideshow knows Spidey is agruably the most popular character on the planet so tacking on an extra 25-50 bucks wouldn't scare the majority of collectors off I'd imagine.

Honestly, if the statue turns out awesome and you really wanted it, would you skip it just b/c you felt Sideshow tacked on an extra $25-50 cash grab?

Since people keep on wondering/asking. This piece is expected to be made of polystone. I've confirmed this a few times in the past with our production team and again today as well. If it has to change (which is doubtful), we'll let customers know beforehand in order for them to make an informed decision as to whether to keep their pre-order or not. But as of today this piece is going forward as polystone specific.

-SideshowAlex

Thanks for the information, Alex! :duff

Agree the Red Son pricing is bizarre, no idea how that one got clocked in at that price. :lol

I'm going to assume a ballpark $500 price tag has nothing to do with XM, as I think it's best not to even draw comparisons at this point so I'm no going to go there. ;)

If the statue is indeed a completely polystone sculpt from base to figure and everything in between, I'd guess that factors into a higher cost as many are estimating. The popularity of the character may also play into it, as Sideshow knows Spidey is agruably the most popular character on the planet so tacking on an extra 25-50 bucks wouldn't scare the majority of collectors off I'd imagine.

Honestly, if the statue turns out awesome and you really wanted it, would you skip it just b/c you felt Sideshow tacked on an extra $25-50 cash grab?

I hear ya...and it makes sense, but that whole "for the price of a dinner you're going to pass?" argument only lasts so long! And that's not a knock on you for saying it, as that's been said back when people were shocked at the jump to $399.99. Eventually you have to go, "Yeah, that $50 is too much to add on to the item I thought would be $25 less than it ended up being."

I'm not saying this will be it, as I do have hope that this will come in at under $450. The popularity of Spider-Man shouldn't have a huge impact, as we're going to see follow up statues of not so popular characters at whatever price Spidey lands at in no time. The main jump to $399.99 came with the Trinity from DC, and then Catwoman and all the rest followed. I expect Spider-Man to set the new baseline, that I don't believe has already been created by Arkham and Red Son. At least I hope that's not the case.

We've already talked about how Josh-a-Tron (again, as an example, sorry Josh! :lol) has passed on quite a few statues because of the price jump that he would have picked up had they been under $400. I'm not saying statues won't sell, I just think people will quickly drop from 4-5 to 1-2. And those that only do 1-2 as it stands could just throw their hands up and call it a day.

I'm not saying prices can't rise...they were $399.99 for a while. But to jump right past $450? That's nutty. But again, it's all speculation until tomorrow!

:1-1:

I hear ya...and it makes sense, but that whole "for the price of a dinner you're going to pass?" argument only lasts so long! And that's not a knock on you for saying it, as that's been said back when people were shocked at the jump to $399.99. Eventually you have to go, "Yeah, that $50 is too much to add on the already more expensive than I thought it should be item."

I'm not saying this will be it, as I do have hope that this will come in at under $450. The popularity of Spider-Man shouldn't have a huge impact, as we're going to see follow up statues of not so popular characters at whatever price Spidey lands at in no time. The main jump to $399.99 came with the Trinity from DC, and then Catwoman and all the rest followed. I expect Spider-Man to set the new baseline, that I don't believe has already been created by Arkham and Red Son. At least I hope that's not the case.

We've already talked about how Josh-a-Tron (again, as an example, sorry Josh! :lol) has passed on quite a few statues because of the price jump that he would have picked up had they been under $400. I'm not saying statues won't sell, I just think people will quickly drop from 4-5 to 1-2. And those that only do 1-2 as it stands could just throw their hands up and call it a day.

I hear ya, just curious to see where you were on that particular issue. :duff

If the price rises with every other release it will keep happening while people are still ordering.

$450 will be my limit, not forgetting postage, 20% V A.T and an unpredictable exchange rate.

I hear ya, just curious to see where you were on that particular issue. :duff

It's unfortunate, because they're so awesome to collect! That's one of the main reasons I hope the price baselines at $430-450 for a while...nobody wants to be bumped out of the game! :duff

If the price rises with every other release it will keep happening while people are still ordering.

$450 will be my limit, not forgetting postage, 20% V A.T and an unpredictable exchange rate.

Yeah, that's pretty much me too. The Canadian dollar is in the same boat, add on customs and all the rest...gets painful!

It's unfortunate, because they're so awesome to collect! That's one of the main reasons I hope the price baselines at $430-450 for a while...nobody wants to be bumped out of the game! :duff

True dat. Though if I'm being honest I'm not skipping a 'must-have' for my collection over the cost of a tank of gasoline. :lol

I think I am going to keep my JSC Spidey. I have been just staring at it lately and I just love it. There aren't too many representations like it out there. Very unique with the fingers etc. I may go for the Black Spidey though.

Yeah, kinda odd he hadn't given a straight forward answer on that yet but it's good that Alex just did.

I think it's more of a case that he (like myself) do not work in production and as such don't know all the ins and outs of every product produced and he doesn't always have the time to find out all the details to all questions that are posed to him for every single piece. Since I was asked in PM for more information about the Spider-Man PF and what it's expected to be made out of, and I had a minute, I was able to get an answer and then relay it to y'all. :)

-SideshowAlex

I think it's more of a case that he (like myself) do not work in production and as such don't know all the ins and outs of every product produced and he doesn't always have the time to find out all the details to all questions that are posed to him for every single piece. Since I was asked in PM for more information about the Spider-Man PF and what it's expected to be made out of, and I had a minute, I was able to get an answer and then relay it to y'all. :)

-SideshowAlex

Alex... You're awesome. Thanks for the update :lol

-SideshowAlex

Thank you for that Alex! We all really appreciate it. Some people love to send those PMs to get info huh?

:rotfl:hi5:

The whole ssc team is awesome. Igo is the man with the plan. Alex is the female, that can get the detail.

Thanks a ton again!

-SideshowAlex

That makes sense, and I think it's fair to say we all appreciate the input from you, Igo and anyone else at SSC! :duff

Speaking of production, are you aware of any changes on the production side of things for Sideshow that would help avoid production disasters like the Iron Patriot in the future?

Thanks again for your time and feedback.

True dat. Though if I'm being honest I'm not skipping a 'must-have' for my collection over the cost of a tank of gasoline. :lol

Oh no, I do agree with you there. It's just that eventually there will be another tank of gasoline added on top of that tank of gasoline, and eventually one of those tanks of gasoline will be too many. That's kind of what I was aiming at...not sure if it came out that way! :lol

I do have my fingers crossed that this'll land below $450 though. I'd say a reasonable baseline for the next dozen or so (like was done at $399.99) would be somewhere around the $439.99 mark, be it $10 higher or lower depending. I think most would agree with that considering some of the insane numbers being thrown around -- all likely thanks to the craziness that is Red Son Superman! :lol

I hear ya...and it makes sense, but that whole "for the price of a dinner you're going to pass?" argument only lasts so long! And that's not a knock on you for saying it, as that's been said back when people were shocked at the jump to $399.99. Eventually you have to go, "Yeah, that $50 is too much to add on to the item I thought would be $25 less than it ended up being."

I'm not saying prices can't rise...they were $399.99 for a while. But to jump right past $450? That's nutty. But again, it's all speculation until tomorrow!

:1-1:

I think one of the main problems is you are trying to factor in logic too much. They haven't jumped past $450 really....Joker was $450. Batman modern age PF was $430. Now Red Son and Arkham Bats was $470. That says to me that people have been ordering regardless of the quick price hike progression. I suspect they will keep going til they ACTUALLY see people stop ordering. And if they want to make another jump in price, Spidey is the smart piece to do it on...simply because he is arguably one of the 3 most popular characters in all of comics.

^ Yeah but they'll also have to look who cancels existing PO's to get another, which I may do. I can still transfer a NRD so it wont be a wash.

Back