NECA Jaws

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooper is coming. Sculpt by Trevor Grove.

E7MRvoBXsAQtJYl

Fantastic likeness! Glad we're getting this instead of scuba gear. Buy hey, if they make Scuba Hoop, I'd probably get that, too.

They're all great sculpts. Hopefully they get the Scheider estate back on board the Orca for those that are collecting these.

Alas, I still have no interest in this style of figure from NECA. :(

What a waste of another brilliant Trevor Grove sculpt.

Maybe one day HT or Blitzway will make the big three Jaws guys in 1/6 - and hopefully use that Hooper sculpt with HT-quality paint apps.

Given these are a bit bobble head for the scale, would they look okay on a smaller 1/6 scale body (ie "Medicom 1/6" - around 11- 11 1/2" height) that might still be able to be fudged with other 1/6 figs?

While the neck's are thinner and can make the heads look bobble-ish, the heads are in scale to the overall body/figure, not even close to 1/6, even on a Medi body, maybe Hobbit figures in 1/6.

I wonder if NECA will ever just do Ultimate figures of the three leads. I’m not a huge fan of the Retro Cloth line really.

It's possible, I suppose. They started with a Halloween 2 Loomis in Retro and just recently revealed an Ultimate version coming.

Reminds me a lot of when he's loading up the Orca and listening to Quint sing Farewell and Adieu making that smirk all the while you know he's thinking this guy is insane lol

That I would love to see.

These figures are not everyone's taste -- especially here -- but certainly this opens the door to other scales and figures down the road.

It will all depend on sales I suppose. And inquiries.
If true (and we have all speculated to be the case) that would suck. Mego style figures do not seem to be all that well received. I don't work for NECA so that may be as wrong as hell. I do know I don't buy Mego figures, or have not in a long, long time. I've been dying for Jaws figures, but do not think these are it. I really don't want to spend money on these in the hope that it will produce figures I do want.

Reminds me a lot of when he's loading up the Orca and listening to Quint sing Farewell and Adieu making that smirk all the while you know he's thinking this guy is insane lol

Yep. That was my thought as well with that hat.

Or with the beanie when he delivers the line: Hehe, they're all gonna die.

If true (and we have all speculated to be the case) that would suck. Mego style figures do not seem to be all that well received. I don't work for NECA so that may be as wrong as hell. I do know I don't buy Mego figures, or have not in a long, long time. I've been dying for Jaws figures, but do not think these are it. I really don't want to spend money on these in the hope that it will produce figures I do want.

I would imagine NECA knows the limits of the Mego-style so perhaps its an inexpensive and less risky way to go... while also allowing them to gauge how much better or worse these do than the usual Mego-style stuff.

It could also be a function of getting the likeness license and the cost associated with that in addition to the movie license. I think they do more characters that require double licenses as Mego style first. They may have even had to pay Trevor to sculpt everything before even getting deals done with those guys. And for this one it's triple getting the likeness rights for characters that generally only have 1 outfit. With Back to the Future there's (at least) 3 likeness licenses but there's tons of figures they can release for each one.

I think the bottom line though is that this is at least showing that the door is open. Like with The Thing and then now Mondo previewed a 1/6 figure.

At least around here in MA, these Retro figures are the hardest to come by in stores, I eventually see most Ultimates, but the Retros seem to sell well.

Since they use a repetitive body, my guess is the cost of cloth is less than the cost of molds and plastics/vinyls, so that’s probably a factor in why some characters only get the retro treatment at times.

I do know sometimes, it’s probably also a loophole that if another company has a license for a traditional style figure, they can get away with Retro because it’s different enough.

I’m sure there are licenses and characters NECA want to do where it’s a case of, we’ll do it as ultimate, Toony, Retro, whatever can get approved.

At least around here in MA, these Retro figures are the hardest to come by in stores, I eventually see most Ultimates, but the Retros seem to sell well.

Since they use a repetitive body, my guess is the cost of cloth is less than the cost of molds and plastics/vinyls, so that’s probably a factor in why some characters only get the retro treatment at times.

I do know sometimes, it’s probably also a loophole that if another company has a license for a traditional style figure, they can get away with Retro because it’s different enough.

I’m sure there are licenses and characters NECA want to do where it’s a case of, we’ll do it as ultimate, Toony, Retro, whatever can get approved.
Having to support a line in the hopes of getting another gets a bit much. Especially when we have no clue of it's true or not. I don't begrudge NECA for producing them. Hell, no one else seems to be interested in the license.
As far as Mego style figures go I don't do figure runs like I use to but I've run into all of them at some point with the exception of Quint. Perhaps he was scaled back when Brody bailed and Scuba Hooper was what we were getting. I was tempted by Quint but they look odd. As they did back in the day of Mego.

Back