MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay my friends my conclusion is MacReady is still human at the end of the film, I plan to make sure from day one that my Mondo MacReady knows this, he shall have enough going on with the Pleather jacket and other changes. Child's not so sure, but we do not know and should not know. Those that do should take it with them....Mystery is all.
Human variant version???

I think MacGready is also human at the end of it. Going from memory/logic, why would he try to expose himself throughout the movie if he was the Thing and be so close to fire?

I also think the ending is kind of like Predator, after Arnold/Dutch beats the Predator, he's silent on the helicopter, almost traumatized from what he witness and been through. same with MacGready.

I think MacGready is also human at the end of it. Going from memory/logic, why would he try to expose himself throughout the movie if he was the Thing and be so close to fire?

I also think the ending is kind of like Predator, after Arnold/Dutch beats the Predator, he's silent on the helicopter, almost traumatized from what he witness and been through. same with MacGready.
Right? Setting up dynamite everywhere in the place to make it HOT and then possibly blows himself up in the process? Yeah, people are grasping at straws here. Then an amazing athletic shoulder roll flip from "Thing Mcgready" too after he throws the dynamite stick at the Blair Thing monster. He's got us all fooled!! Child's being The Thing is way more high probability than Macready :ROFLMAO::LOL:

For me it's not about who is the thing or if they're both human at the end.
It's about what a great job the film did with the paranoia and distrust, even if Mac and Childs are both human at the end they are unable to trust each other and that spills over to a large portion of the audience.
Even if you trust MacReady you might not fully trust Childs or you don't trust either and that's what makes it such a timeless classic ending and why I hope Carpenter never spills the beans, let the discussion live on.

I fear the downgrade the most with this. I've only been collecting their animated stylized figures and while those have been great, they've all been cartoonish in nature. I don't recall if they ever tackled a full 1/6 human-based figure before. I'm expecting Sideshow level of downgrades here where the sculpt and paint soften up quite a bit in production. I'd be quite surprised otherwise. I PO'd the timed edition but I'm keeping my expectations in check. A repaint on the sculpt and a better tailored jacket is what this will probably need the most in the end.

Mondo released an Alfred Hitchcock figure in the mid 2010s, when I first seriously started collecting 1/6.

I can't be the first person to ask but why does either of them have to be The Thing?? What if 2 people just happened to survive?
That's how I always saw it. And perhaps they didn't survive, but the characters outlived the central plot-conflict and met the most reasonable and dramatic resolution for a 1982 audience. No post-credit scenes here and no sequel to give us more insight.

While I can enjoy the various speculations and theories they only have value in a discussion form outside of the film's actual viewing experience. All this talk is a lot of fan-fiction. I always ask myself if a particular deep-dive analysis and speculative theory affects my enjoyment of the film and in almost all cases it doesn't. (By the way, I just want to add, generally overthinking these "things" and puling at straws only weakens the film and creates more inadvertent plotholes and inaccuracies that ruin the experience. If MacReady was the Thing then there are tonnes of details that unravel and don't add up at all, making it a much worse film. See Ranman81's post. Why would we want to do that?) It's still the same film repeated for 40 years that I watched at the time and have relived with every viewing. I respect what the filmmakers put on screen without trying to increase the value of the film through wild analysis to merely create a fan-fiction sequel in my head.

Last edited:
I can't be the first person to ask but why does either of them have to be The Thing?? What if 2 people just happened to survive?

That's also entirely possible.

One theory I've heard years ago, and it was interesting, was a huge clue was Windows not being able to get radio contact with the outside world. I.E. something happened and the rest of the world is already dead.

Adds even more of a messed up wrinkle to all this.

Mondo released an Alfred Hitchcock figure in the mid 2010s, when I first seriously started collecting 1/6.
I was about to mention that. Mondo has always handled cartoon, comic or video game characters, which gives them a lot of leeway for interpretation, but they don't have much of a track record of human/actor likenesses where accuracy and capturing the spirit of the character really matters. This MacReady is the exception and a move in a whole new direction. Alfred Hitchcock was possibly their only human life-reference likeness and it looked pretty rough, even at the time. This Macready sculpt looks really good so far and I have some trust in the mention of Viola Wittrocka on the production team. Viola is an great sculpture artist (sculpt painter) - see her MacReady reveal post from October 31st here: ).
This tells me they've put some effort into bringing professional talent and commitment to this project. However, I don't recognize any of the other names in the production team.

Last edited:
I was about to mention that. Mondo has always handled cartoon, comic or video game characters, which gives them a lot of leeway for interpretation, but they don't have much of a track record of human/actor likenesses where accuracy and capturing the spirit of the character really matters. This MacReady is the exception and a move in a whole new direction. Alfred Hitchcock was possibly their only human life-reference likeness and it looked pretty rough, even at the time. This Macready sculpt looks really good so far and I have some trust in the mention of Viola Wittrocka on the production team. Viola is an great sculpture artist (sculpt painter) - see her MacReady reveal post from October 31st here: ).
I don't recognize any of the other names in the production team.

Sculpt and prototype paint looks absolutely fantastic, but we all know it will be downgraded for the mass production. I hope they won't use ''sticker'' printed eyes for the mass produced figure, I've noticed that ''new technology'' recently on the ''hand painted'' collectables.

This tells me they've put some effort into bringing professional talent and commitment to this project. However, I don't recognize any of the other names in the production team.
Matt Black was a sculptor for Sideshow. Tim Hanson works for Sideshow.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's kinda the point of the movie - you don't know. I just leave it at that. It's what makes it a great ending to me. It never occurred to me to go back through the movie and find things that may give the Thing away or make things fit into a theory through contrivance so we can "know".

It is in their interest to listen in the short and long term. The thing is if they do get MacReady right first run they are set up for the future......We wait.
I had mine in the cart for a while and I ended up passing on it I did go back to see if it was still there but it was sold out hopefully I don't regret it I got some good figures on the way anyway. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Yeah. That's kinda the point of the movie - you don't know. I just leave it at that. It's what makes it a great ending to me. It never occurred to me to go back through the movie and find things that may give the Thing away or make things fit into a theory through contrivance so we can "know".

The Thing 1982 had clear production and budgetary limitations. So part of the "mystery" was built into the unknown, but part of the unknown were also aspects of things that were too expensive to film. This is the struggle of the Thing 2011, there was always SFX to be able to patch over any limitations. You could argue Indiana Jones Dial Of Destiny had the same crutch. ( I.E. if you keep throwing money at it, keep adding more SFX, you can try to bypass and run over some pretty basic storytelling principles) We don't see much of the original Alien and the original Predator because limitations in technology and SFX forced the hand of Scott and McTiernan.

I've always felt the same way about our hobby. There are times when people just can't afford the latest / hottest / newest thing. But you can still have fun in this hobby. Someone can buy a big loose lot of stuff that's six generations back, and see what you can cobble together with creativity. People can have a lot of fun doing that. Building things. Repairing things. Making due with a lot of limitations. For example, the guy in the video above made a big ass HISS tank out of cardboard, old grocery store packaging, wooden dowels and leftover clear plastic probably from household items.

New current films always have that escape hatch that exists. More SFX as spackle.

The Thing 1982 is like the original Pac Man. It succeeds because it's fundamental. The old school films we all love ( Terminator 1, Predator 1, Robocop 1, etc, etc) were compact, efficient, lean and fundamental. It's just a good story. Carpenter just wanted the audience to have a good time. He had to make more happen with less. There's a certain charm in that, a certain level of beauty to it.

It's a little terrifying to think what if Carpenter was born 50 years later, was funneled out of a woke costly school, existed only in an entitled tiny pedantic social bubble with no life experience and had designs for a personal platform and some agenda over just giving the audience something fun. ( I think I just described Simu Liu...)

Back