MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy that theory at all. The Thing isn't going to set explosives everywhere and then blow up the main creature with dynamite. The infected always acted strange to some degree. Mac never acted suspicious in any way other than to take down the monsters.
The possibility of MacReady or Child’s being infected is really open ended. That’s one of the things I like most about the movie.

I always thought MacReadys interaction with Fuchs was strange (when Fuchs recommends the camp eat canned foods). The power to Fuchs office is cut off soon after. Followed by Fuchs finding MacReadys ripped uniform outside.

MacReadys character is also a chess player. (If assimilated) I think he would have played the long game to survive and to slowly infect those around him without causing suspicion. Even turning on other infected characters to reduce suspicion of himself being infected.

I forget who pointed this out but:
In Mac's first scene, he's beaten by a computer game. He responds by pouring his drink down its circuit boards.
"Cheatin b----h."
In the end, what does Mac do upon seeing Childs? Offers him a drink because Mac knew he lost.

I don't know. The Thing did a real sucky job then infecting people and hiding it as MAC seemed to turn each monster into toast, while then using the blood test to figure it out. A lot of detective work for The "MAC Thing" to kill off it's own organism that's trying to hide and freeze off somewhere. People are really grasping at straws trying to make MAC The Thing. Child's was missing for a while and he made up his lame story of why. He's the THING if anything :)
I think the issue is you are assigning sentience to the thing that doesn't actually appear to be there. The thing is a micro organism and when in large numbers seems to have a sort of animal like hive mind. the only time things behave intelligently is when the brain of an intelligent being is being driven by its instinct, but that intelligence is a by-product. the hive mind of each colony does seem to have long term memory so depending on its capacity could definitely become more intelligent over time but the way it behaves when the brains of infected de-form is very dumb and animal-like. So if you look at it simply as each colony is simply out for its own survival and most of the behaviour of the imitations is simply the hosts mind (with extra survival instincts from the colony influencing it) then Mac being a Thing copy can make total sense. But I still think he was human all along, blood test etc point that way

I think the issue is you are assigning sentience to the thing that doesn't actually appear to be there. The thing is a micro organism and when in large numbers seems to have a sort of animal like hive mind. the only time things behave intelligently is when the brain of an intelligent being is being driven by its instinct, but that intelligence is a by-product. the hive mind of each colony does seem to have long term memory so depending on its capacity could definitely become more intelligent over time but the way it behaves when the brains of infected de-form is very dumb and animal-like. So if you look at it simply as each colony is simply out for its own survival and most of the behaviour of the imitations is simply the hosts mind (with extra survival instincts from the colony influencing it) then Mac being a Thing copy can make total sense. But I still think he was human all along, blood test etc point that way
I guess THING Mac had to make it look real after he said dramatically, "FU too" and then threw the stick of dynamite at the final THING to blow it up to pieces to fool the audience, while keeping the rest of the place hot so The thing couldn't freeze.....I don't think so :).......The evidence shows he wasn't assimilated just by his actions (and blood test) alone.

I guess THING Mac had to make it look real after he said dramatically, "FU too" and then threw the stick of dynamite at the final THING to blow it up to pieces to fool the audience, while keeping the rest of the place hot so The thing couldn't freeze.....I don't think so :).......The evidence shows he wasn't assimilated just by his actions (and blood test) alone.
No, when playing devils advocate I stated he would be ok blowing up Blair thing (because he is stil Mac in his brain and the thing colonies operate independent and are likely happy to condemn other thing colonies to preserve themselves . even if infected Mac is still Mac, just with increased self preservation instinct) and would be fine with himself freezing to be found later.

Again, you are assigning sentience to the thing that likely isn't there. The intelligence is the hosts.

And again, I actually think Mac is human, just offering the opposing argument as to why the Mac-Thing theory can work given all that is shown on screen,

The blood test is definitely hard to refute. I only remember not seeing Mac draw his blood during that scene. His dish is already sitting on the table.

Child’s is for sure human at the end, or at least before taking a drink from the bottle because he still has an earring in his ear.

The blood test is definitely hard to refute. I only remember not seeing Mac draw his blood during that scene. His dish is already sitting on the table.

Child’s is for sure human at the end, or at least before taking a drink from the bottle because he still has an earring in his ear.
to be fair, if thing copies can put fresh clothing on, they can put an earring in so childs could still be a thing (the 2011 no earring thing was a bit stupid TBH)

edit: which gets me on to a wild tangent. if replaced slowly cell by cell the copy should be perfect down to earrings and fillings, however, if violently assimilated quickly the copy may be based partially on the DNA profile. in that case, could an amputee if attacked violently and after reforming be identified by a limb being present since the genetic code for it was there?? in a sequel that could a way someone is identified as a thing copy, they have a body part like a finger tip that they aren't supposed to.

Last edited:
It is stupid but is canon. How would it know which ear to pierce? Also, wouldn’t it want to hide or run away (like the dog in the beginning) if it were the thing? Why approach and talk to Mac? These are all very human/life threatening behaviors.

It is stupid but is canon. How would it know which ear to pierce? Also, wouldn’t it want to hide or run away (like the dog in the beginning) if it were the thing? Why approach and talk to Mac? These are all very human/life threatening behaviors.
because once formed it IS Childs, he would remember which ear to put it in, and he would seek out humans as that is what Childs would do. for the thing, there is opportunity to infect more and somewhere with warmth to feel comfortable and I think the character in 2011 film not having the earring in was more him forgetting to put it in or not even realising it was missing, not that Thing copies CANT have earrings

I don't buy that theory at all. The Thing isn't going to set explosives everywhere and then blow up the main creature with dynamite. The infected always acted strange to some degree. Mac never acted suspicious in any way other than to take down the monsters.
Okay my friends my conclusion is MacReady is still human at the end of the film, I plan to make sure from day one that my Mondo MacReady knows this, he shall have enough going on with the Pleather jacket and other changes. Child's not so sure, but we do not know and should not know. Those that do should take it with them....Mystery is all.

Regular version is available on BBTS for 234.99$ while I am not blown away with this, still gonna preorder as I’m a huge fan of Kurt Russell and The Thing franchise! BBTS is getting stock pretty late, so we’ll see the released figure before they’ll ship orders. If I won’t like him just gonna cancel the order and lost the deposit. Deposit is 23.50$. Better preorder than miss out and cry.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/259165?o=1

Last edited:
because once formed it IS Childs, he would remember which ear to put it in, and he would seek out humans as that is what Childs would do. for the thing, there is opportunity to infect more and somewhere with warmth to feel comfortable and I think the character in 2011 film not having the earring in was more him forgetting to put it in or not even realising it was missing, not that Thing copies CANT have earrings
Has anyone seen my earring?

No, when playing devils advocate I stated he would be ok blowing up Blair thing (because he is stil Mac in his brain and the thing colonies operate independent and are likely happy to condemn other thing colonies to preserve themselves . even if infected Mac is still Mac, just with increased self preservation instinct) and would be fine with himself freezing to be found later.

Again, you are assigning sentience to the thing that likely isn't there. The intelligence is the hosts.

And again, I actually think Mac is human, just offering the opposing argument as to why the Mac-Thing theory can work given all that is shown on screen,
Who goes there?

Who goes there?

:lecture

"Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell (under the pen name Don A. Stuart), Astounding Science Fiction, August 1938:

Who-Goes-there.jpg

WhoGoesThereByJohnW.Campbell565b.jpg

Regular version is available on BBTS for 234.99$ while I am not blown away with this, still gonna preorder as I’m a huge fan of Kurt Russell and The Thing franchise! BBTS is getting stock pretty late, so we’ll see the released figure before they’ll ship orders. If I won’t like him just gonna cancel the order and lost the deposit. Deposit is 23.50$. Better preorder than miss out and cry.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/259165?o=1
I'll go for it and hope for the best. As you say if it's a total write off when it comes out I'll cancel and accept the lost NRD. The sculpts are really good. Honestly I don't remember ever seeing a better Kurt Russell likeness in a toy.

Time for some liquid refreshment I reckon.

I didn't know Alan Dean Foster wrote the novelization for The Thing.

He was the go to guy for a lot of top projects.

Ghostwriter of Star Wars, writer of Splinter of the Minds Eye, Alien, Aliens, Alien3...

The list goes on and on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Dean_Foster#Bibliography

Even Pale Rider, which is topical with the Sideshow figure having just arrived.

No wonder he was chosen so often. Everything I've read by him has been really evocative.

I'll go for it and hope for the best. As you say if it's a total write off when it comes out I'll cancel and accept the lost NRD. The sculpts are really good. Honestly I don't remember ever seeing a better Kurt Russell likeness in a toy.
Yea, I think this is a wise decision to make. Better preorder pay 23.50$ and see how things go. No way I’d pay full amount upfront. Sculpts are truly great and I hope for the best!

This was a very devisive figure. We all wanted it, just justifying cost, quality, and paying upfront.

I hope Mondo takes time and read the fans complaints and addresses the hood, jacket and weathering. The paying upfront is what will never change. What companies do, I hate it, is get money upfront, get interest on that money and in a years time, give you product while they profit.

Nothing wrong with that, it's the game, but it's only so long that will work as Hasbro found out. Hate to turn this into a Hasbro topic, but they being a billion dollar company do not need crowd funding or preorder schemes.

Hoping Mondo does look at what we want and include extras such as the hood/jacket. Not that expensive to add a hood. There is still packaging design issue but they can easily stick it into the box in a bag for example. It's really up to them.

Back