Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Molecule8 continues to shoot themselves in the foot with their handling of marketing and communications. They have some good ideas, but you have to be SUPER clear when putting out images, figures, displays, etc. and have an understanding of how the community generally reacts and responds. They are having a tough time managing through that process.

I think Lennon is still at least 6 months off, and the way they've been managing the release dates is their biggest failure.

:lecture

Couldn't they put some of that 300k towards a place card that says "Sculpt not final, WIP"?

they didnt even have these glasses on display, i just do not see how they will make a thousand of these glasses in 34 days.

maybe they make one set in 34days, release the figure, and begin shipping in a year from Aug 2017.

glasses.jpgaug2017.jpg

That green development bar is awfully far along for a Rough idea what customers will get

so they basically did a piss poor job at replicating the prototype Kim head , now they have to go back to try and replicate it so it could show the skin pores , wrinkles and refined details? and still choose the proper paint app? not to mention go back redo the glasses, and costumes , all this in 37 days?

My deepest apologies to M8 for doubting them, that was indeed the prototype they have on display. This is the production sculpt.

20375808_1599427226797224_1495640303138020453_n.jpg

Molecule8 said:
"To be added is the skin pores, wrinkles and refinement details which is then all layered into the production sculpt before being painted to reach the master production sample."

WHAT!!!??? A revolutionary new way of casting too? Layered? AMAZING.

If they have Kims fully detailed master why the hell would they need to add anything. If it wasn't directly molded then it was 3D scanned and all those details would be included. It's almost as if they used her work as reference for a whole new rendered model and that's what they're working from now. Not the original.

None of which makes sense.

This is all so backwards... :lol

So they had a finished figure ready to be shipped in May, then delayed a month to give distributors a chance to Carry the figure.

Now in July the are still planning to add details to the headsculpt even though it's supposed to ship in August? And they set up at a con(which is expensive) with a crappy looking HS and half assed clothing to show off the process of making figures instead of showing of the figure that was completed and ready to ship 2 months ago...

I had just spoken to a friend recently and he pointed out that since I paid as gift, that's why I have no buyer protection and the window for canceling the order/getting a refund was 40 days after the pay date not 180 days like it is for rest of you who paid with goods and service. So this whole issue I am having right now is my own fault not theirs.

Basically he said it's more likely I flushed $299.95 down the toilet, but I may be very lucky if I receive a refund from them through PayPal's dispute claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup always eat the cost and do not pay as a gift.

They sit on a throne of lies...

Re: John Lennon Sculpt

Report this post

Unread post by M8 Admin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:28 pm
av1988 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 am
Dear Molecule 8:

I saw the JL sample display at HK ani-con today,
Can you please explain what is the head sculpt going on?
That's totaly disaster!

Hello av1988

This is just a test sculpt, its not even a prototype.

We want to show the process of how john looks from start to finish.

To be added is the skin pores, wrinkles and refinement details which is then all layered into the production sculpt before being painted to reach the master production sample.

Please do not worry, it will look very different when finished.

Thank you

They have two prototypes by K.A. Kim, but they decide to go back to the beginning and start again?

If true, that's a dumb business move for a new company to show an unfinished product publicly, knowing how paranoid and nitpicky collectors can be when it comes to 1/6 scale figures. Dumb dumb dumb...

This is just a test sculpt, its not even a prototype.

To be added is the skin pores, wrinkles and refinement details which is then all layered into the production sculpt before being painted to reach the master production sample.

We want to show the process of how john looks from start to finish.

actually, if they could show that process via showing one headsculpt per process at the con, it will be a quite good and new gimmick,

but in the end, it only become a sweet talk and more like damage control :dunno

back to become this thread viewer :wave

I think they are confused on how this works. I know they want to revolutionize the industry but the standard of working up an amazing proto-type prior to all of these other steps is the norm. They had the head from Kim, all they had to do was stick it on any industry standard thin-build body, pay a tailor to make one set of each outfit that kicks ass, build the accessories as one-offs that can be replicated by a factory and show that. That is a prototype.

Seeing the "in progress" makes no sense as they seem to be going backwards, not forwards. If all of those hands, boots, etc. exist somewhere at the level alluded to with their renders, then show those in person as in progress. The glasses are especially bogus looking from 3D render to physical object and show that they never existed as a "prototype" physicality.

Just because you have an awesome CGI creation does not mean you can just 3D print it. It gets more complicated than that, especially if you are using a pro-sumer 3D printer. It actually costs a lot of money to print super high-tolerance objects in any material. What is weird is that I have seen grey-scale scans of the sculpts on their website which, if they invested enough cash in 3D prints should be printable with the hair being a separate object, not sure what the hell they did here.

When I was a teenager I wanted to revolutionise the music industry with my startling talent. I would have done too, if I could sing, or I'd ever learnt how to play an instrument.

Companies house gives the nature of their business as 'artistic creation'. That tells you all you need to know.

In order to revolutionize something you need to understand it. I have no doubt these guys at M8 are awesome in their fields. But 1:6 production is not video game production.

They should have worked quietly on Lennon, Wonka, and 1 or 2 other pieces and made them the best that could be produced. Than they should have gone public with fully disclosed preorders.

If you want to revolutionize something, get your foot in the door by common-sense marketing. Don't try to go your own and find your own marketing rhythm this early in a game that can be very VERY unforgiving.

They're still trying to back away from this car crash with a ridiculous statement of adding details

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 17.36.23 (2).jpg

If they just came clean, held their hands up and were honest for a change, they'd get more respect/leeway.

Hey Amstel, any news on that refund yet from 2 Overton Drive, E11 2NJ? You could always drop the Wanstead Safer Neighbourhoods team a line and ask their advice.

Back